Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:21 pm

"The Transportation Security Administration on Sunday [2 February] instructed airlines with flights to the U.S. from other countries to screen passengers before boarding to find out whether they’ve been in China recently, according to a security directive that was reviewed by CNBC. Check-in and gate agents or other employees are required to question travelers, look through recent reservations and possibly their passports for entry or exit stamps, according to the order, which provided examples of the stamps from China. . .

"The airlines don’t have to rely only on passenger answers and must work with U.S. Customs and Border Protection to make a determination, the spokeswoman said. The restrictions are complex and will mean all travelers headed to the U.S. will likely get questioned."

If anyone has access to these "complex" restrictions we could settle the questions raised here. But it is clear they exist.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/02/coro...trictions.html
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:06 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
The 12:45 is TG601.

Yesterday’s North Lantau Hospital test won’t satisfy this form they’re handing out. An X-Ray isn’t a negative test for COVID, it’s really just the doctor saying “(in the limited amount of time you Thais gave us to run tests) he doesn’t appear sick to me”

To sign negative testing, a doctor will have to do a proper throat swab test specifically for COVID DNA. A friend of the wife’s done that last week at a public hospital:

(“The results of your deep throat swab test recently conducted by the Hospital Authority is Negative”)

She waited a days for the test results.

IANAD but I believe the swab test is the minimum a HK doctor needs to sign off on the Thai cert.

She just told me private doctors won’t do this.
Only public hospitals are currently running the tests in HK.

And you need to do this test shortly after T-48 to have any hope of getting the results back.

I’ll turn on I-Cable for lunch segment.
The latest i-Cable segment didn't say but it appears they've a reporter at the TG601 counter.

Passenger Mr. Zhou claims TG demanded either the certificate template Matt M. posted above

Or since his GP has prepared a certificate the night before, TG said they have to send over his certificate to Thailand and see if it is acceptable to CAAT.
1. Chief Executive Carrie Lam will announce further restrictions on HK arrivals tnis afternoon. She's meeting affected countries' HK consuls now
http://news.now.com/home/local/playe...17&refer=Share

2. Secretary of Food and Health Sophia Chan attended a Legislative Council question session where legislator Rebecca Chan asked whether HKSAR will consider demanding medical certificates (similar to those now demanded by Thailand).

Secretary Chan responded that given the rapid onset of infection in cases, HK Govt believes 14-day mandatory quarantine at quarantine centre is more effective than requiring passengers to produce certificates on arrival.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:28 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hmm, any word on what additional restrictions are being considered? I want to keep doing my weekly HKG-SIN RT with no issues — and my passport country (Switzerland) is starting to get quite a few cases.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Hmm, any word on what additional restrictions are being considered? I want to keep doing my weekly HKG-SIN RT with no issues — and my passport country (Switzerland) is starting to get quite a few cases.
Originally Posted by brunos
Consulates in Hong Kong are advising its citizens about a new quarantine restriction.
All pax having gone in France to Bourgogne-Franche Comte and Grand Est regions will be quarantined in dedicated quarantine centers from 13 March 00.00. It also covers all of Italy and some regions in Germany (North Rhine-Westphalia) and Japan (Hokkaido).
:
​​​​​​
Govt briefing starting - I’ll keep track of it to see if there’s anything to add/delete from brunos’s post.
tentseller and helvetic like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:33 am

​​​​​​
Govt briefing starting - I’ll keep track of it to see if there’s anything to add/delete from brunos’s post.
Most of brunos post panned out

Bur i-Cable just mentioned certain areas of Spain incl Madrid is in the list?!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Consulates in Hong Kong are advising its citizens about a new quarantine restriction.
All pax having gone in France to Bourgogne-Franche Comte and Grand Est regions will be quarantined in dedicated quarantine centers from 13 March 00.00. It also covers all of Italy and some regions in Germany (North Rhine-Westphalia) and Japan (Hokkaido).
:
​​​​​​
HKSAR restrictions against inbound travellers, measures confirmed 20:56 10 March, Red OTA now in effect for the below, quarantine to take effect midnight 14 March:

France Bougogne, du Grand Est, Germany Nordrhein-Westfalen
Spain La Rioja, Basque Country, Madrid (aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!)
All of Italy
and Hokkaido all have to go into 14 day mandatory quarantine on entry to HK
Iran and South Korea will go into the HK residents only list (non-residents not allowed to enter HK after having been in those countries during past 14 days)
HK residents who have been in Daegu and Gyeongsangbuk-do in past 14 days will be quarantined.

Spoiler

helvetic likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 10, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:01 pm

(I think I better post restrictions against outbound HKers in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32167672 , and keep restrictions on arrivals into HK (resident or visitor) here)

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 11, 2020 at 2:27 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sensible. Good to know. It's becoming increasingly difficult to travel lately.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:12 am

Except UK and Ireland

Coronavirus: Hong Kong to expand forced quarantine to cover arrivals from nearly all of Europe, source says

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ve-coronavirus

(Confirmed 21:07: Red OTA for all of Schengen, starting 00:00 Tue 17 Mar HKT)

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 13, 2020 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:06 am

Everyone now needs to make a health declaration when arriving HKIA, and you can do this beforehand online:

https://www.chp.gov.hk/hdf/

Curiously, there's no declaration where you've been the past 14 days.

Did this person, who shamelessly flew back from the States when ill, declare his cough etc at the airport? A little scary he could fly so far without any apparent hindrance.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...tests-positive

He was probably more scared of the medical bill he'd run up in the U.S. than of the virus, so he fled.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 889
Did this person, who shamelessly flew back from the States when ill, declare his cough etc at the airport? A little scary he could fly so far without any apparent hindrance.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...tests-positive

He was probably more scared of the medical bill he'd run up in the U.S. than of the virus, so he fled.
Shameless started on 20 Jan, when the first non-Mainland case flew from Wuhan back to Taipei, having been symptomatic for 9 days, taking suppressants to avoid detection and declared herself on arrival, putting 46 other pax and crew in quarantine https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/breakingnews/3047142

Is she right to look after number one?
Yes from a payoff perspective. Not likely she will he charged with manslaughter even if some of the other pax/crew die.
Very bad for her if she stayed. Unless she gets shot on arrival like the North Koreans, not enough disincentive to stop selfish people.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:15 am

Not to suggest the person who shamelessly flew back from Colorado is the first. Or last.

Rather just food for thought as you're waiting to board your next flight.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Shameless started on 20 Jan, when the first non-Mainland case flew from Wuhan back to Taipei, having been symptomatic for 9 days, taking suppressants to avoid detection and declared herself on arrival, putting 46 other pax and crew in quarantine https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/life/breakingnews/3047142

Is she right to look after number one?
Yes from a payoff perspective. Not likely she will he charged with manslaughter even if some of the other pax/crew die.
Very bad for her if she stayed. Unless she gets shot on arrival like the North Koreans, not enough disincentive to stop selfish people.
I said back then I would've probably done the same, no regrets.

If I were in the USA I would also try to evacuate, PRONTO. I am not stepping foot there until this goes (even though I have permanent residency there).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Except UK and Ireland

Coronavirus: Hong Kong to expand forced quarantine to cover arrivals from nearly all of Europe, source says

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ve-coronavirus

(Confirmed 21:07: Red OTA for all of Schengen, starting 00:00 Tue 17 Mar HKT)

Why exempt the UK? I heard that when Trump exempted the UK, it supposedly had the most cases in Europe other than Italy.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Why exempt the UK? I heard that when Trump exempted the UK, it supposedly had the most cases in Europe other than Italy.
Officially: The CTA (UK and Ireland) exercises border controls on Schengen arrivals. Even though all Citizens of the EU still have Freedom of Movement into the CTA, Schengen and CTA operate different visa systems for foreigners.

Unofficially: UK's bolthole for a good portion of HKSARG's principal officers' families...so it's the last place on Planet Earth to get a HK quarantine requirement.
tentseller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.