Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:05 am

Nothing says "I love you" more than a packet of Korean face masks.

Well, except two packets of Korean face masks.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Nothing says "I love you" more than a packet of Korean face masks.

Well, except two packets of Korean face masks.
We need to be careful with the usage of the word "mask" with Kong Girls
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:19 am

As if the Wuhan Virus isn't enough, we now have an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease, traced to cooling equipment at the Choi Hung MTR Station.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/02/1...ople-infected/
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:34 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/ban...-and-hong-kong
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
As if the Wuhan Virus isn't enough, we now have an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease, traced to cooling equipment at the Choi Hung MTR Station.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/02/1...ople-infected/
The water-dwelling bacteria causes Legionnaires’ disease … There is no known vaccine but the disease can be treated with antibiotics.
Stupid… yeah no ss sherlock, there's no vaccine for a bacterial infection.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by helvetic
Stupid… yeah no ss sherlock, there's no vaccine for a bacterial infection.
?? there are many vaccines against bacteria. Anyway, there are no vaccines for any infection. Vaccines are preventative.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by :D!
?? there are many vaccines against bacteria. Anyway, there are no vaccines for any infection. Vaccines are preventative.
Yeah. I think tetanus shot is one of them which I probably need a booster next time I see my doctor.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
Yeah. I think tetanus shot is one of them which I probably need a booster next time I see my doctor.
Huh, TIL. Well, color me corrected.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by wco81
Some HKers trying to keep their sense of humor, spirits high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...PI&app=desktop
The best part is the hand sanitizer that comes out of the tight jeans back pocket, and then returns there...She doesn't just talk the talk, but walks the walk...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:22 pm

"A verbal dispute erupted between a man and fellow bus passengers after he refused to wear a mask, arguing he was not ill. . . An online video shows a man boarding the [Route 271] bus without a face mask at night, upon which the bus driver advises him to put one on while handing him a mask. But the man refuses, telling the driver to get the bus going since company regulations do not stipulate that all passengers should wear a mask. Other passengers, the video shows, express support for the driver, and they verbally tussle with the man for some 10 minutes. Police are later called to the scene."

This does reflect the situation in Hong Kong these days. If you're going to ride public transport, then you must as a practical matter wear a mask whether you think it's necessary or not. Or you may get into a tussle with other passengers. And police may be called to the scene.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...es-to-use-mask

EDIT:

And in further news from The Standard, it seem that if the police aren't breaking up bus fights these days, they're out tracking down toilet paper thieves.

"Three armed robbers who stole hundreds of toilet rolls which were being delivered to a supermarket in Mong Kok are being sought by police, who said a truck driver was held up early today by three men outside a Wellcome supermarket."

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...rolls-delivery

Last edited by 889; Feb 16, 2020 at 10:27 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
"A verbal dispute erupted between a man and fellow bus passengers after he refused to wear a mask, arguing he was not ill. . . An online video shows a man boarding the [Route 271] bus without a face mask at night, upon which the bus driver advises him to put one on while handing him a mask. But the man refuses, telling the driver to get the bus going since company regulations do not stipulate that all passengers should wear a mask. Other passengers, the video shows, express support for the driver, and they verbally tussle with the man for some 10 minutes. Police are later called to the scene."

This does reflect the situation in Hong Kong these days. If you're going to ride public transport, then you must as a practical matter wear a mask whether you think it's necessary or not. Or you may get into a tussle with other passengers. And police may be called to the scene.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...es-to-use-mask
Does the gweilo exemption to local social norms apply here>
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:55 pm

NO!

Perhaps no verbal argument, but you will get stared down. And find some seats suddenly vacant in your vicinity.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:06 pm

I've no issues with wearing a mask in HK, just as I have no issues wearing one in the States with everyone staring at me for a different reason. Irrespective of the US authority's recommendations, I think it's better wearing a mask, and that's exactly what I'll do.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the guy was handed a face mask upon boarding, it's not a matter of him not having one, not being able to afford the mask, or saving the masks he's managed to acquire for some other purpose/occasion. It would be different if he had not had a mask and had been denied use of the bus as transportation to his destination.
Taiwaned and tentseller like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by ;32074243
Arguable. The rabies vaccine can be seen as curative, in that you can get the vaccine after you get bitten by a rabies-afflicted animal, and the vaccine prevents the infection from progressing to disease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.