Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Need
United and AA suspended all flights to Hong Kong. Does that affect flights that just stop at HKG?
What flights do you have in mind that "just stop in HK?"
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Visconti
A few things: 1) I'm not symptomatic; 2) HK is not on the ban list; 3) those dropping by had already decided to wear masks completely independent of my decision to wear mine & self quarantine; and, 4) I understand the CDC's motivation on urging the general populace to remain calm, but, in my view, there's no question wearing a mask is safer.

Still, in the USA, one can do whatever he/she feels like, regardless of the herd's comfort level.
I feel like we've somewhat beaten this horse to death.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Out of curiosity, for those of you in HK traveling to the USA, will any of you self quarantine?

I mean, according to the CDC, since you're not symptomatic, not from a banned country, and should not wear a mask. So, what am I doing in my study taking 14 days off? Shouldn't I out be partying amongst the crowd, or something?
No I will not self-quarantine after departing HK.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
No I will not self-quarantine after departing HK.
Point is that I find anyone under similar circumstances who would not choose to self quarantine as I have suggesting it's perfectly reasonable to act as some those around me have to be quite remarkable. My perceived hypocrisy in this case is what I find distasteful, not the merits of the argument per se.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:40 am

I’m in HKG atm and will not be self quarantining when I get back to Australia next week. I’ve also been in Singapore and Bangkok this trip, it actually makes more sense to self quarantine after visiting those cities since they have more cases and the populations in general are less vigilant than HKG atm.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by IMOA
I’m in HKG atm and will not be self quarantining when I get back to Australia next week. I’ve also been in Singapore and Bangkok this trip, it actually makes more sense to self quarantine after visiting those cities since they have more cases and the populations in general are less vigilant than HKG atm.

Will HK quarantine people arriving from BKK?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Point is that I find anyone under similar circumstances who would not choose to self quarantine as I have suggesting it's perfectly reasonable to act as some those around me have to be quite remarkable. My perceived hypocrisy in this case is what I find distasteful, not the merits of the argument per se.
I agree with you. I just don't think we need to keep discussing it as there's already been five dozen posts about it.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:59 am

I agree with you. I just don't think we need to keep discussing it as there's already been five dozen posts about it.
Understood. It certainly wasn't my intention. But, for whatever reason, my initial post, the gist of which I thought was quite clear, triggered the class warfare crowd, and then...the rest.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:11 am

What flights do you have in mind that "just stop in HK?"
I mean just have a stopover in HK and onto BKK for the post I quoted. Would those be effected? I didn't read the airlines announcements, just the article on Wall Street Journal. Are they suspending flights with final destination as HKG or all flight that has a stopover at HKG?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I mean just have a stopover in HK and onto BKK for the post I quoted. Would those be effected? I didn't read the airlines announcements, just the article on Wall Street Journal. Are they suspending flights with final destination as HKG or all flight that has a stopover at HKG?
If the airline does not operate the flight XXX-HKG, you won't be able to connect XXX-HKG-YYY. The is literally no plane flying in the air, no plane for you to get on.
Need and nk15 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:18 am

If the airline does not operate the flight XXX-HKG, you won't be able to connect XXX-HKG-YYY. The is literally no plane flying in the air, no plane for you to get on.
Duh... LOL I didn't think. Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supersympa
American Airlines suspends Hong Kong flights amid coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/coro...-outbreak.html
United has done the same, through Feb 20 also.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by 889
Where money and trade are involved, HK somehow always manages to maintain the flow. Cutting the flow of people across the border is tolerable. Cutting the flow of goods is not, and I have no doubt at all that arrangements will be worked out to keep that flow going.

Fret if you want, but I'm not concerned a whit.
Have you seen the number of Alphards/Mercdeses with dual license plates? Even if some goods make it thru, cross-border managers, etc won't be able to run business effectively. It's not looking pretty.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IMOA
Whilst technically you don't need to self quarantine here in Australia based on your information provided, there will be people in Australia who will be nervous about you, and they will argue that HK is part of China even though for intended purposes it is separate region. Whilst you may win on facts you may not win overall. That is how I felt here after I came back (I am working from home for 2 weeks), so I am suggesting gently to do it to give your friends/colleagues peace of mind more than anything else ....
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Any suggestions for threads with the latest coronavirus news?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.