Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by 889
As of Saturday, 14 days' quarantine for everyone entering Hong Kong from the Mainland.

This is closing the border without technically closing it.
Wow. This is devastating to cross-border commerce.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's also devastating for anyone who wants/needs to leave mainland China, given that so many international flights have been cancelled. OTOH, fourteen days quarantine in Hong Kong (not in mainland China) might look like a price one could be willing to pay to get out, provided that those who prove to be ill are taken care of in the Hong Kong medical system (which could be very expensive for Hong Kong, but still one of the better alternatives compared to no border restrictions).

Not good for CX either, although it's not clear whether transit at HKG will be an exception somehow.

Still, didn't anyone learn from Wuhan that quarantines/lockdowns are almost pointless if advanced warning is given?

It will be interesting to see how many people attempt to enter Hong Kong from the mainland over the next couple days.

What are the numbers of people who live in the mainland and commute to Hong Kong daily for a job?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It will be interesting to see how many people attempt to enter Hong Kong from the mainland over the next couple days.

Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know if the new 14 day restrictions are for people transiting in HKG as well as entering Hong Kong?
My reading is that it's only people entering HKG are impacted by the new rules, and staying airside still seems to be possible without quarantine...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tentseller
SMS from Hk Gov:

[SB] Passenger clearance now available only at Airport, SZ Bay, HK-ZH-M Bridge, Kai Tak Cruise & Ocean Terminals; all cargo clearance unaffected(do not reply)
Luohu is now closed?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
As of Saturday, 14 days' quarantine for everyone entering Hong Kong from the Mainland.

This is closing the border without technically closing it.
Originally Posted by percysmith
1. Start 8 Feb so there's two more days to come in if you haven't already done so

2. Quarantine on and after 8 Feb will be done in the form of wrist bracelets.
I just read this on the news. I'm wondering how it'll be enforced? Will immigration officers put on the bracelets? Is it tamper-proof?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:44 am

Yes, Luohu is now closed, as are all the other crossings with Shenzhen except Shenzhen Bay.

Details are to come on how the quarantine will be enforced.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:15 am

In my view, these extended measures are prudent.

As I've mentioned, to my own experience, I find it quite remarkable the amount of people around me who are unaware of HK's exclusion from the US ban, and assume that anyone who has been to HK, me for example, should be persona non grata for the next 14 days. Moreover, while our CDC recommends against wearing masks, that recommendation certainly isn't applicable for anyone around me, at least from the few who have dropped by all donning masks while staying at least 5 or 10 feet away. On the bright side, my hearing is still world class.

Not that I have any business suggesting anything to the HK people, but, in my view, it's important to differentiate to the world that HK is NOT a part of and should not be associated with this outbreak.
tentseller likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I just read this on the news. I'm wondering how it'll be enforced? Will immigration officers put on the bracelets? Is it tamper-proof?
I saw a demonstration on NowTV.

Its not fully GPS unlike criminals/suspects bracelets. It’s dependent on your phone, which you have to install an app on. The phone will be tethered to wall socket (not sure how this part works). If you move outside a reasonable range of the phone, or take it off, the police will come for you.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:22 am

Visconti I still haven’t read the part about how cross border shipment drivers are supposed to be excepted/handled under the home quarantine regime. Is CL planning to use CX as some sort of Berlin Airlift?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw a demonstration on NowTC.

Its not fully GPS unlike criminals/suspects bracelets. It’s dependent on your phone, which you have to install an app on. The phone will be tethered to wall socket (not sure how this part works). If you move outside a reasonable range of the phone, or take it off, the police will come for you.
At this point, how many people are entering HK from the Mainland? I'm curious if the the number will plummet to near zero come Saturday?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visconti I still haven’t read the part about how cross border shipment drivers are supposed to be excepted/handled under the home quarantine regime. Is CL planning to use CX as some sort of Berlin Airlift?
LMAO!

Carrie Lam said the border couldn't be closed so that food can still enter HK, but now you brought up a very valid point. This is so funny.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
At this point, how many people are entering HK from the Mainland? I'm curious if the the number will plummet to near zero come Saturday?
It’s pretty low already (see #228)

Might spike for the next two days
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:36 am

Ah, I'm assuming her staff will work out the logistics on a granular level?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:36 am

There was a story in the SCMP earlier in the day, before the quarantine announcement, quoting sources in the shipping industry who said the border restrictions were not affecting goods shipments across the border.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.