Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Visconti
They should have known I'd self quarantine without being asked to. That they did is what I found rude. As if I had to be told? Seriously?
It may have been obvious to you to do some kind of self-quarantine, but not everybody takes this as a given, another poster above also came back from HKG and went to a party and was surprised that someone did not show up because he was there, lol...
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bloomberg TV news in the USA is reporting that medical worker in Hong Kong will go on strike for five days over lack of adeaquate supplies of protective equipment and the government's refusal to close the border with mainland China. This sounds dire and I sincerely hope the reporters have it wrong.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
It may have been obvious to you to do some kind of self-quarantine, but not everybody takes this as a given, another poster above also came back from HKG and went to a party and was surprised that someone did not show up because he was there, lol...
The moment I've left HK, I've had my mask on everywhere, except for when I'm in my study alone. I'd understand acquaintances reminding me, but not anyone who knows me well. I suppose, it's disappointing that I'm finding out there are some who really didn't know me that well, after all. And, that's ok.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Bloomberg TV news in the USA is reporting that medical worker in Hong Kong will go on strike for five days over lack of adeaquate supplies of protective equipment and the government's refusal to close the border with mainland China. This sounds dire and I sincerely hope the reporters have it wrong.
The strike is real. It was voted overwhelming in favour of strike for next 5 days, especially if HK does not close the border with Mainland China completely.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-group-cancels
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The moment I've left HK, I've had my mask on everywhere, except for when I'm in my study alone. I'd understand acquaintances reminding me, but not anyone who knows me well. I suppose, it's disappointing that I'm finding out there are some who really didn't know me that well, after all. And, that's ok.
Yea, it's just human nature I guess and anxiety that makes people overreact.

If this thing becomes a pandemic and settles at any reasonably high death rate like 5% or so, and persists beyond summer, you will see the thin veneer of civility and civilization start collapsing across the board, and people acting in increasingly aggressive-defensive ways...
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
They should have known I'd self quarantine without being asked to. That they did is what I found rude. As if I had to be told? Seriously?

I would find it extremely disappointing that anyone who has known me for any period of time would think I wouldn't self quarantine and would need to be reminded. Those who know me very well, I'd find it rude, yes.
As a reminder, you said:
Though I was only in HK, some friends & colleagues fear I'm infected, and some wear masks around me.

If these friends and colleagues of yours were around you, that's not a very effective way to self quarantine. Why are you seeing them in person if you're supposed to be in isolation? That's what's not adding up for me.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Yea, it's just human nature I guess and anxiety that makes people overreact.

If this thing becomes a pandemic and settles at any reasonably high death rate like 5% or so, and persists beyond summer, you will see the thin veneer of civility and civilization start collapsing across the board, and people acting in increasingly aggressive-defensive ways...
That's fine, I get it. But, if you and I are friends, in the real sense of the word and not the modern day punchline it's become, and you believed for one second I would without thought to anyone else and not impose a self-quarantine, you need to find another friend in whom you'd have more faith.

As to strangers & casual acquaintances, couldn't care less what they think of me. But, with my friends, what they think of me is everything.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
As a reminder, you said:

If these friends and colleagues of yours were around you, that's not a very effective way to self quarantine. Why are you seeing them in person if you're supposed to be in isolation? That's what's not adding up for me.
Some have dropped by, and some have expressed concerns to my wife. A business partner had to drop by and pick up documents.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by STS-134
As a reminder, you said:

Plus, let's remember that masks don't provide 100% protection, nor do we even understand exactly how the Wuhan virus is spread.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:10 pm

Plus, let's remember that masks don't provide 100% protection, nor do we even understand exactly how the Wuhan virus is spread.
I've had mine on virtually at all times since the moment I returned last week. And, I basically only remove it when I'm in my study. Even in HK, I had it on all the time, barely left my room, and ate very sparingly.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:20 pm

I've had mine on virtually at all times since the moment I returned last week. And, I basically only remove it when I'm in my study. Even in HK, I had it on all the time, barely left my room, and ate very sparingly.
You've used the same mask for all that time? That's not good.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:23 pm

You've used the same mask for all that time? That's not good.
LOL...no, I have individually wrapped disposable ones, and another one with changeable filters. The former is more convenient, while the latter coordinates better with my sunglasses.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Some have dropped by, and some have expressed concerns to my wife. A business partner had to drop by and pick up documents.
Well if they are pestering you about self quarantine, you should tell them to help you out by not stopping by.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:55 pm

This morning, disposable masks have seemingly become much more readily available. (There was a South China Morning Post compiled photo page showing a variety of interim/proxy masks. Funny, though troubling too.) The government of my next-destination country has decided that I should stick around HK for another six days or so. Things are "normal"-enough here that it's okay, if not optimal from the standpoint of my life.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by IMOA
So a question for the people in Hong Kong, are bars, restaurants etc open or is it completely dead? We’re due to arrive next Tuesday and if it’s going to be dead we might skip and stay in Bangkok. And yes, ignoring the fact that Bangkok has more cases, a worse health system, a huge number of Chinese tourists with no travel restrictions and worse hygiene standards. But it has open restaurants and bars do you can still have a holiday.
Not completely dead, especially if you are interested in the big, chain, mall businesses; those are open though relatively empty. Small businesses are hit-or-miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.