Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Feb 2, 20, 10:09 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,306
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
Shady Acres in Soho is still open through the apocalypse at the very least!
How about places like old man, quinary, Pontiac, wise king, LAB, Stockton etc? Is it’s fair to assume that everything is open? Albeit a bit quieter than usual?
IMOA is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:21 am
  #167  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,654
Whoosh!

(The point of course is that staying in even a five-star hotel is no guaranty that you won't find yourself sharing an elevator with a coughing couple from Wuhan.)
889 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:25 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Whoosh!

(The point of course is that staying in even a five-star hotel is no guaranty that you won't find yourself sharing an elevator with a coughing couple from Wuhan.)
Well, if the Wuhan couple had their masks on and I had mine along with my trusty sunglasses (have been looking for an excuse to wear my old Gaultier's) indoors, from what I know of the risk, I'm comfortable with my chances. Just make certain I disinfect my hands after touching the elevator buttons.

PS - OT, but since this is an HK thread. I try not to take life too seriously, even under the circumstances. When in HK, something made my day, when on my way to a meeting wearing a suit, my mask (designer black one N99) & sunglasses, and heard a mutter from probably leung meus, "wah, tieu yau gum ying, ga!" LOL...I had to call and tell Mrs. V.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 2, 20 at 10:35 am Reason: added PS...some light hearted color.
Visconti is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:10 am
  #169  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 12,730
Why are luxury hotels going to be more immune to viruses than lower-grade hotels?

Does this virus discriminate against poorer people?
wco81 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:52 am
  #170  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,455
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
There is no such thing as a six-star hotel ever. It's all made-up marketing BS.
OT, but there's claimed to be one in Dubai.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 11:58 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
If you want to make them feel it on the expense account… stay at Upper House. The W, Ritz, St Regis, MO / Landmark MO, Four Seasons, Island Shangri-la, and Grand Hyatt are all solid 5-stars.
As I've said, I'm a big boy and don't take things personally. But, if they're going continue insisting I should be the point person and the one traveling, I'm going to go full out and not even worry about cost efficiency. Face and etiquette are very important to me. I was going to self quarantine anyway, but their temerity to suggest I should do so is insulting, especially from those I've known for a long time. As if I wouldn't know better?
Visconti is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:15 pm
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,248
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Well, if the Wuhan couple had their masks on and I had mine along with my trusty sunglasses (have been looking for an excuse to wear my old Gaultier's) indoors, from what I know of the risk, I'm comfortable with my chances. Just make certain I disinfect my hands after touching the elevator buttons.

PS - OT, but since this is an HK thread. I try not to take life too seriously, even under the circumstances. When in HK, something made my day, when on my way to a meeting wearing a suit, my mask (designer black one N99) & sunglasses, and heard a mutter from probably leung meus, "wah, tieu yau gum ying, ga!" LOL...I had to call and tell Mrs. V.
無相無用 - Useless without a photo.
Visconti likes this.
tentseller is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:18 pm
  #173  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
無相無用 - Useless without a photo.
LOL...it could have been sarcasm, but as I age, I've become more optimistic. Trying to remember if they prefaced it with "ban ying," but I prefer to remember it the way that I do now!
tentseller likes this.
Visconti is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:05 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SYD and going nowhere
Programs: QR/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,485
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
If you want to make them feel it on the expense account… stay at Upper House. The W, Ritz, St Regis, MO / Landmark MO, Four Seasons, Island Shangri-la, and Grand Hyatt are all solid 5-stars.
Staying at luxury hotel doesn't reduce the risks of infections though. There was an infected couple from Wuhan who stayed at W HK, and then visited Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. The only benefit is that you stay at a nice hotel
kamchatsky is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:15 pm
  #175  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
Staying at luxury hotel doesn't reduce the risks of infections though. There was an infected couple from Wuhan who stayed at W HK, and then visited Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. The only benefit is that you stay at a nice hotel
If the hotel is expensive because every room is a detached building, then I would think this would reduce the risk. Not sure if there is such a hotel in HK though.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:22 pm
  #176  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 12,730
Every room is detached?

Like villas?

But that's not HK hotels is it? They're all these high rise towers.

Even if they were, the service staff is bringing food to you or doing housecleaning.

You would be better off in a self-catering place stocked with canned goods from months ago.
wco81 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:35 pm
  #177  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,252
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Every room is detached?

Like villas?

But that's not HK hotels is it? They're all these high rise towers.

Even if they were, the service staff is bringing food to you or doing housecleaning.

You would be better off in a self-catering place stocked with canned goods from months ago.
Hong Kong does have something like that. But they are all now reserved for quarantine purpose.
garykung is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 4:57 pm
  #178  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
Staying at luxury hotel doesn't reduce the risks of infections though. There was an infected couple from Wuhan who stayed at W HK, and then visited Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. The only benefit is that you stay at a nice hotel
While I'm not sure how 889 inferred from my post that my crack on running up my expenses had anything to do with infection risk, let me clarify this in a way that even a 3 year old child or Labrador retriever can understand the point of my post.

1. I travelled to HK for business. I was not afraid and didn't feel I was at any grave risk.
2. Returned home to USA, and feeling fine. Still 99.9999% certain I'm infection free.
3. As an abundance of caution, planning to stay home for 14 days.
4. Though I was only in HK, some friends & colleagues fear I'm infected, and some wear masks around me.
5. My business partners who suggested I take the trip and treating me persona non-grata for the next 14 days.

I find this rude. They should know I'm well aware of the proper thing to do and self quarantine out of my own volition. So, next time they ask me to travel, I'll abandon all cost restraints and book the most expensive and luxurious hotels, as a tit for tat for their rudeness.

Clear?

PS - RE Rosewood - Since I'm on this clarifying stuff; I wasn't being facetious about considering this property and took seriously the person's recommendation at face value. This wasn't sarcasm or meant as a snide remark, and I've found his reviews both informative and credible.
tentseller and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 2, 20 at 5:18 pm Reason: added PS on Rosewood...
Visconti is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 5:15 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,542
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
2. Returned home to USA, and feeling fine. Still 99.9999% certain I'm infection free.
I wouldn't be that certain. Maybe 99.99%, but not 99.9999%. HK has a population of around 7.4 million, and of course some visitors as well. https://www.tourism.gov.hk/english/s...s_perform.html Average number of same-day visitors per day is around 98k (35884854/365) and average number of overnight visitors per day is around 250k (29262701/365) arrivals per day *3.1 days average stay. So at any given point in time, there should be around 7.75M people in the city (it's probably less than that right now, due to the protests and fears of the coronavirus).

There are currently 14 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in HK. So your statistical chance of NOT being one of those cases, if you were some randomly selected person in the city, would actually be close to 99.99982%. And that's assuming that there aren't any people walking around who are infected but not yet diagnosed.

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
3. As an abundant of caution, planning to stay home for 14 days.
4. Though I was only in HK, some friends & colleagues fear I'm infected, and some wear masks around me.
5. My business partners who suggested I take the trip and treating me persona non-grata for the next 14 days.

I find this rude. They should know I'm well aware of the proper thing to do an self quarantine out of my own volition. So, next time they ask me to travel, I'll abandon all cost restraints and book the most expensive and luxurious hotels, as a tit for tat for their rudeness.

Clear?
Why is it rude that they're just being cautious? You're acting like these people are insulting your character. They're not. Would you rather have them lick your utensils after you've eaten with them? In the unlikely case that you are actually infected, health officials will likely thank them for taking precautions, and hope that the chain of transmission ends with you.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 20, 5:22 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Why is it rude that they're just being cautious?
They should have known I'd self quarantine without being asked to. That they did is what I found rude. As if I had to be told? Seriously?

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Why is it rude that they're just being cautious? You're acting like these people are insulting your character.
I would find it extremely disappointing that anyone who has known me for any period of time would think I wouldn't self quarantine and would need to be reminded. Those who know me very well, I'd find it rude, yes.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 2, 20 at 5:31 pm Reason: muti-quote
Visconti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: