Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Long term stay options in Hong Kong

Long term stay options in Hong Kong

Old Jan 6, 20, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin, Marriott
Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
Even at current prices you won't find much in terms of rooms that won't make you feel claustrophobic. As a reference point I got a rate at Regal Oriental hotel (supposedly 4-star) in Kowloon back in September for $500/night on a 2 week stay. There are Best Western - level hotels on the Island for about $300 per night - which would still be over your budget.
Apologies there was a typo - now corrected.

HK$50,000 - HK$70,000
Old Jan 6, 20, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Chromie25 View Post
Even at current prices you won't find much in terms of rooms that won't make you feel claustrophobic. As a reference point I got a rate at Regal Oriental hotel (supposedly 4-star) in Kowloon back in September for $500/night on a 2 week stay. There are Best Western - level hotels on the Island for about $300 per night - which would still be over your budget.
That's a pretty strong budget to work with these days, in my opinion.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by controlz View Post
HK$50,000-HK$70,000 pm
Damn, for that you can stay at the Four Seasons serviced apartments in a one or even two bedroom facing the water. That's what I'd do at those price points.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Damn, for that you can stay at the Four Seasons serviced apartments in a one or even two bedroom facing the water. That's what I'd do at those price points.
I've been PMing the OP about this, and my current thinking is that a serviced apartment might be better than my "lock in Charterhouse for the entire visit, and stay at nicer places on weekends" strategy.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I'm waiting to hear back from Four Seasons but my understanding is that they start at $80,000 per month. Ideally, I want to be on the lower end of my budget! Pacific Place apartments got back to me with a quote of $88,000 which is expensive for what it is.

I heard back from the MO who want $4,500 per night for a 30 day booking! (Suite) So, it seems these 5* really aren't discounting.
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'm waiting to hear back from Four Seasons but my understanding is that they start at $80,000 per month. Ideally, I want to be on the lower end of my budget! Pacific Place apartments got back to me with a quote of $88,000 which is expensive for what it is.
Nah. That's their opening move. I'm pretty sure the FS will bend and offer you something at the lower end of your range if you flat out ask them. Perhaps a studio, but the 4-handle is definitely on target, especially these days.
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Nah. That's their opening move. I'm pretty sure the FS will bend and offer you something at the lower end of your range if you flat out ask them. Perhaps a studio, but the 4-handle is definitely on target, especially these days.
Yeah. I mentioned in this thread and/or the other similar thread that talking to the people on the phone or in person is the only way to score really good deals. Basically, the FS will never advertise HK$40,000 on the internet, but I'm quite confident that they will be amenable to this number if you commit to it.
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:55 pm

Programs: MP, BR

I heard back from the MO who want $4,500 per night for a 30 day booking! (Suite) So, it seems these 5* really aren't discounting.
Woah that extra digit made a huge difference! The Four Seasons refers to the service apartment (Four Seasons Place www.fsphk.com) and not the hotel itself (although it's the same building I think). It should be under $60k a month or even less if you call them directly.
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Delete - double post

Last edited by Chromie25; Jan 6, 20 at 7:58 pm Reason: Double post
Old Jan 7, 20, 6:04 am
Original Poster

So I have received the following quotations for 30 days in a Junior Suite:

Conrad: HK$4,200+10% per night
JW Marriot: HK$4700+10% per night
Shangri La: $5500+10% per night

These all have a discount on them already apparently. As you can see they are outrageously high, and even if I got them to knock 50% off (which would be impossible) they would still be way above budget!! The reason I have asked for a Suite is because living in a regular hotel room will be extremely claustrophobic for a month.

Am I wasting my time with these hotels?
Old Jan 7, 20, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Am I wasting my time with these hotels?
Yes.

Having a high budget is great. But it does not mean it gives you the right to go crazy. The hotels you got quoted are top hotels, not only in Hong Kong, but the world.

If you want something realistic, try CY Hong Kong.
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed in a 'serviced apartment' a few years ago, I think they let you rent a unit month-by-month:

Como Como Causeway Bay Serviced Apartments
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by zip10001 View Post
I stayed in a 'serviced apartment' a few years ago, I think they let you rent a unit month-by-month:

Como Como Causeway Bay Serviced Apartments
That looks pretty nice, but I find it shocking that their website doesn't provide the capacity to book rooms apart from "contact us".
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:03 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Old Jan 14, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That looks pretty nice, but I find it shocking that their website doesn't provide the capacity to book rooms apart from "contact us".
I've never seen real online booking on service apartments during my search last year. It's often through real estate agents even if I use the "contact us" link.

A few year earlier, I looked at several Ovolo properties and had to meet the real estate agents.

Perhaps my budget is not in the super high category that would have non-negotiable rates.

... Junior Suite:
Conrad: HK$4,200+10% per night
Shangri La: $5500+10% per night
I paid those rates with AMEX FHR benefits ~ 1 year ago for regular harbour view rooms, without protests or riots.

Last edited by beep88; Jan 14, 20 at 4:25 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: