Wiki Posts
Search

Taking the bridge to Macau - extra security midway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Taking the bridge to Macau - extra security midway

I took the HKZM bridge from Hong Kong to Macau yesterday, for the first time. I took it to Zhuhai about a month ago, which was the first time I had used it since it opened. It slowed us down by, I guess, about 20 minutes.

I was surprised when our bus stopped at the ocean-crossing tunnel entrance and parked inside the building, without announcement. Everyone had to get out of the bus and do x-ray, pat down and ID card check, all done by the PRC police. The highway was completely blocked off and no traffic could proceed into the tunnel without looping through the makeshift security checkpoint. I found it "interesting" (I won't say strange, nothing is strange anymore) that when travelling between two SARs the PRC police were involved. As this was my 2nd time only using the bridge I can't say for sure but I feel like this has just started. It looked very temporary and certainly the facility wasn't designed to have this function (it was done on a tarmac road that passes through the building). There were also lots of roped off areas, official looking police and "Chinese leader" types posing for their photos to be taken in front of all the queues and security equipment. Drone was flying overhead just outside the building, someone was having fun with it.

If they wanted to check people coming in to China, there is Zhuhai port for that. Seems they wanted to check who is travelling from HK to Macau also while they are on "Chinese soil".*

No stop on the way back from Macau to Hong Kong.

Not sure if/how they do that for ferry passengers.

* I noticed "Guangdong border" signs just as the highway touches the artificial tunnel mouth island. So I guess that those islands are officially Mainland China.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:03 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
As the part of the bridge from the end of the HK Link Road (up to the HKSAR maritime border) until the PRC/Macau border crossing island is part of the PRC, but not part of the HKSAR or MSAR, how is it "interesting" that the PRC police would be involved? If not the PRC police, then who? You drive on the right and the highway is PRC expressway G94.

The HK to Macau ferries also pass through "mainland" waters so presumably if the mainland police wanted to stop a ferry they would have the jurisdiction to do so. Notwithstanding that if they wanted to stop a ferry in HK waters the HK police would probably let them.

Were IDs recorded? Maybe they were looking for known HK protesters / protest sympathisers / suspected "spies" like the British consulate worker.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Yes, IDs were placed on the scanner and the usual tappety tap on the computer for about 30 seconds, just like when entering China.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Like you, I noticed nothing like that when passing over and back a few weeks ago.

As you describe it, it sounds like some very important VIPs were having a gander at the bridge. China can be paranoid as can be in such a case. Interesting to hear reports in the next few days whether this is a more long-term arrangement.

EDIT: At some point this month, XJP is scheduled to visit Macau in connection with the 20th anniversary of the handover. So expect tight security inbound to Macau until some time after his visit.

Last edited by 889; Dec 12, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Like you, I noticed nothing like that when passing over and back a few weeks ago.

As you describe it, it sounds like some very important VIPs were having a gander at the bridge. China can be paranoid as can be in such a case. Interesting to hear reports in the next few days whether this is a more long-term arrangement.

EDIT: At some point this month, XJP is scheduled to visit Macau in connection with the 20th anniversary of the handover. So expect tight security inbound to Macau until some time after his visit.
I’d advise visitors to give Macau a miss during the 20th anniversary stuff, especially if Xi is showing up. More hassle than its worth. Security in China in general has reached maximum paranoia level in the past few years with metal detectors to get on subways now, but it’s always much worse when the head honcho for life is in town.
:D!, Isochronous and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Below is the related news video, if you understand Cantonese.

:D! likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:29 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Below is the related news video, if you understand Cantonese.

https://youtu.be/EwUrx_nJMmE
That's what I said. I wonder what his dad did to piss off Mr Pooh...
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by :D!
Using a communication device at security checkpoint when there are many signs prohibiting their use should be enough for detention.

Have there been any verified facts that the missing man boarded the bus or exited HK?

Regarding the ignorant, publicity-seeking elected official, buses and planes do not offer immunity from the soil that they are on.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Another reason to use the ferry instead.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Another reason to use the ferry instead.
The ferries sail through Chinese waters.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

SCMP article on the missing person
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tentseller
The ferries sail through Chinese waters.
But much more difficult to setup a maritime checkpoint and board every ferry that passes through compared with buses on a bridge.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
Mainland officials say they detained missing Hong Kong man for smuggling

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-they-arrested
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
But much more difficult to setup a maritime checkpoint and board every ferry that passes through compared with buses on a bridge.
If you are a wanted person by the PRC on a ferry in Chinese water to Macao I would "bet" that there is a high probability that the ferry will be intercepted.

Last edited by tentseller; Dec 16, 2019 at 3:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.