Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HKG transit - lounge access with Amex Platinum and three guests

Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I'll soon be traveling through HKG with kids: me + another adult + two kids. Have one Amex Platinum card with its Priority Pass Select benefit, both in my name. Would like to get everyone into a lounge. But how? Notably, kids are too young to be left alone for any period, yet >2 years old (so they count as guests).

Can't all go to Amex Centurion lounge. That benefit is limited to two guests.

Can't all go to a Priority Pass lounge. That benefit is also limited to two guests.

Would like to send other adult and one kid to one lounge (as my two guests), but I don't enter. Then other kid and I proceed to another lounge. Thoughts on whether lounge staff would allow it? Priority Pass can charge my card for me + two guests, and then it's just the two guests who enter. But if they strictly enforce "you must stay with your guests throughout," I can't comply.

Obviously lounge might have sympathy for us and bend the rules a bit. Then again they might look at us, look at kids, and figure we're troublesome (kids could be noisy, messy, etc.).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Ask nicely at the centurion which is more limited with premium AMEX membership.

PP is always very crowded with a lineup outside so they will be more reluctant to let extra people in.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: MP, BR
If lounge access is that important to your group wouldn't it be worth it to suck it up and pay for the extra guest? From a group standpoint it's less than USD10 per person.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Tentseller, thanks -- that is sensible advice.

Chrome25, we are thinking about that. Just seems like a shame with our multiple lounge entitlements (those discussed above as well as airline elite status) -- very very close to all allowed to access, multiple ways, without charge. Separately, I'm not sure how much lounge access actually is worth to us -- to kids, who hardly eat and who enjoy running around the terminal at least as much as going to a lounge. USD10/person sounds low but it's all about the context.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by bedelman
Tentseller, thanks -- that is sensible advice.

Chrome25, we are thinking about that. Just seems like a shame with our multiple lounge entitlements (those discussed above as well as airline elite status) -- very very close to all allowed to access, multiple ways, without charge. Separately, I'm not sure how much lounge access actually is worth to us -- to kids, who hardly eat and who enjoy running around the terminal at least as much as going to a lounge. USD10/person sounds low but it's all about the context.
I'm not a parent but would parents feel more "secure" knowing that their kids are hanging around in a "specific" area (i.e. the lounge) and not wander off to the point where the parents have to go chase them down? Also would the parents have a better peace of mind knowing that they can walk 30 secs to get food and beverage without worrying kids wandering off and out of their sight? The USD10 is on the assumption that you have to pay about USD30 for the extra person, and divide that by 4.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IIRC I remember seeing some kids play area airside departure which might be suitable as well. You can see if these are suitable for your family's needs as well.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bedelman
Would like to get everyone into a lounge. But how?
It is quite simple.

Plaza Premium Lounges (PPL) are the only Priority Pass (PP) lounge at HKG.

Because PPLs are paid lounges per se, so you simply need to pay for the access for 1 additional person (but I am not sure PPL will charge you for full price or the PP contracted price) and get access with other 2 with PP.

How difficult is that?

However, it is another question if you are not willing to pay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.