Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Changes in airport procedures!?

Changes in airport procedures!?

Old Nov 22, 19, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Question Changes in airport procedures!?

Can we have a concise (and discussion free?) wiki please on what has been changed in terms of arrival and departure procedures at HKIA?

My last visit there in July was still rather normal:

ARRIVAL:
1 deplane
2 pass immigration (e-channel for frequent visitors)
3 collect any luggage
4 pass customs (never been checked)
5 exit and head leave the terminal building (no checks etc.)
6 Hop on the Airport Express (even without ticket as can be bought at the other end)

Total 45-60min

DEPARTURE:
1 Arrive by bus/Airport Express/taxi
2 Walk into terminal building
3 passed checkin as only hand luggage and online checkin
4 brief ID/boarding pass check followed by
5 straight to security
6 use eChannel to pass immigration
7 go to gate
8 board flight

Total time: 45-70min

What has changed so far? Perhaps as a wiki it can be updated easily
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
I flew out of there about ten days ago.

Took an Uber to Terminal 1; there was some ticket check right at the entrance, to make sure that only passengers on that day enter.

Other than that, there was barely a line for security/immigration.

In other news, isn't Terminal 2 temporarily closing soon?
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:52 am

Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
I arrived on Wednesday and flew out earlier today. From my experience everything upon arrival is the same as you listed.

Departing HKG is slightly different from what you listed. Once you exit the Airport Express you queue up for a check of your passport and boarding pass. After that I went straight to security/immigration as I was not checking bags. It was incredibly fast.
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Departing HKG is slightly different from what you listed. Once you exit the Airport Express you queue up for a check of your passport and boarding pass. After that I went straight to security/immigration as I was not checking bags. It was incredibly fast.
I also flew out of HKG a couple of days ago and can confirm JNelson113ís description. I had checked my bags at Hong Kong Station earlier in the day and was able to go straight to security.
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:43 pm

"In other news, isn't Terminal 2 temporarily closing soon?"

When they announced construction of the new runway they did also announce that at some point Terminal 2 would be closed. When that point is or whether it's still the plan I don't know.
Old Nov 23, 19, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't believe a Wiki is necessary. The change is really minor.
:D! likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:45 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
All that was changed is a traveller ID and BP/Ticket check before one is allowed into the airport.

The other change is the meetup location for booked car services are at the parking lots instead of a driver meeting you in the terminal and helping you with your bags.
Old Nov 23, 19, 5:50 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum

To the right of that barrier is the queuing system to which all passengers are corralled.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
All that was changed is a traveller ID and BP/Ticket check before one is allowed into the airport.

The other change is the meetup location for booked car services are at the parking lots instead of a driver meeting you in the terminal and helping you with your bags.
Are the hotel limo services for luxury hotels that (used to?) have staff stationed at the airport to help their guests in the terminal still permitted to do so? I've had hotel staff find/meet me inside the terminal and to help with bags and take me to the vehicle. For departures, the hotel staff person would meet the vehicle at the curb to help with bags and take guests to the correct check in counter.
Old Nov 24, 19, 9:15 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are the hotel limo services for luxury hotels that (used to?) have staff stationed at the airport to help their guests in the terminal still permitted to do so? I've had hotel staff find/meet me inside the terminal and to help with bags and take me to the vehicle. For departures, the hotel staff person would meet the vehicle at the curb to help with bags and take guests to the correct check in counter.
I think you should as the hotel who contracted the service as to the changed meeting up procedure.

My HSBC CC benefit of a discounted limo service is now meet your driver at exit to Parking Lot 1 pick up area. The drivers are there, outside the terminal building with security to prevent "unauthorized entry" with your surname on the tablet.
Old Nov 28, 19, 6:58 am

Terminal 2 is closing tonight (Nov 28) and the Terminal 1 extension is opening tomorrow.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/m...e/2019/pr_1413

Search this Thread