Airport hotels at HKG

Old Nov 17, 19, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Airport hotels at HKG

Just wondering which one is better. I have 2 options I think. The SkyCity Marriott or the Regal airport hotel. I know Regal is connected to the airport itself so is probably more convenient. However, I am a Gold member with Marriott themselves so probably get an upgrade when I arrive, but it seems to be a bit furthur away - which one would you guys recommend ? From my previous experience staying at the other Regal chains (Kowloon and Riverside), they are both quite old and dirty so I am swaying towards Marriott at the moment
Old Nov 17, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Just wondering which one is better. I have 2 options I think. The SkyCity Marriott or the Regal airport hotel. I know Regal is connected to the airport itself so is probably more convenient. However, I am a Gold member with Marriott themselves so probably get an upgrade when I arrive, but it seems to be a bit furthur away - which one would you guys recommend ? From my previous experience staying at the other Regal chains (Kowloon and Riverside), they are both quite old and dirty so I am swaying towards Marriott at the moment
Really depends on how long your stay is. If you check-in late at night for a sleep of a few hours for a early morning flight, then the Regal with definitely the more convenient choice. However, I think Marriott is close enough to the Passenger Terminal Building without it being filled with other tourists. For a more relaxing stay, I would go with Marriott. Besides, it is next to Asia World Expo Airport Express Station, so it is still quite convenient.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
https://www.regalhotel.com/regal-air...m-Package.html ?
somemale and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Vote for the Regal here- the convenience canít be beaten. Signing up for their rewards program is an easy 5% off the base price, and they usually have a fair few package options that make some sense at times.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Just finished another nice stay at the Regal. Convenience cannot be matched, our room was perfectly fine for an overnight, and if your stay timing allows for breakfast - then booking an executive club room is worth it. The omelette station is a nice touch, too.

As for upgrades, Iím LT Titanium at Marriott, but would still choose the Regal anytime. I canít speak to other Regal properties, but HKG is fine.

Good luck
Dave
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bseller View Post
Just finished another nice stay at the Regal. Convenience cannot be matched, our room was perfectly fine for an overnight, and if your stay timing allows for breakfast - then booking an executive club room is worth it. The omelette station is a nice touch, too.

As for upgrades, Iím LT Titanium at Marriott, but would still choose the Regal anytime. I canít speak to other Regal properties, but HKG is fine.

Good luck
Dave
lol, I guess this is enough for me to justify Regal as you are a Titanium member and still choose Regal!
Old Nov 17, 19, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Another option...I've stayed at the Novotel Tung Chung several times before early flights out of HKG and always found it perfectly fine. The first time I stayed there it was 1/3 price of the Regal, and sure you have to take a 3min shuttle to the terminal but I've also combined it with visits to the Ngong Ping 360 which is walkable through the Citygate mall so it has its pros beyond just being cheaper.
Sozee, nnanlno and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:35 am

Location: UAL PP/2MM, SPG LT PLT75, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Regal is clearly super convenient, but I've had great stays at the Marriott. Can't go wrong either way really.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the current situation, isn't the question really whether one can walk from the hotel to the airport terminal if necessary?
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by Sozee View Post
Really depends on how long your stay is. If you check-in late at night for a sleep of a few hours for a early morning flight, then the Regal with definitely the more convenient choice. However, I think Marriott is close enough to the Passenger Terminal Building without it being filled with other tourists. For a more relaxing stay, I would go with Marriott. Besides, it is next to Asia World Expo Airport Express Station, so it is still quite convenient.
And there is the hotel shuttle under current circumstances https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...1_Nov_2019.pdf ?
Old Nov 17, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DM, AS 75K,VA Silver, MR Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Given the current situation, isn't the question really whether one can walk from the hotel to the airport terminal if necessary?
Have stayed at the Sky City many times over last 6 months, absolutely 0 issue getting 2 / from the airport using either the bus or AeX to expo and walking the covered walkway to the hotel. 5/6 to corner suite upgrades this year here as a Plat, probably 20+ stays over my lifetime so far.
percysmith and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also see these recent threads (there are others):
Regal Hotel at Hong Kong airport
HKG airport hotels for 10 hour stay
Regal Airport vs Marriott Skycity
Hong Kong Airport hotels or 24-hour lounges?
Old Nov 24, 19, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Another option...I've stayed at the Novotel Tung Chung several times before early flights out of HKG and always found it perfectly fine. The first time I stayed there it was 1/3 price of the Regal, and sure you have to take a 3min shuttle to the terminal but I've also combined it with visits to the Ngong Ping 360 which is walkable through the Citygate mall so it has its pros beyond just being cheaper.
That would not really be a safe option given the recent protests to be honest so didn't even consider there. I stayed there once. It is very convient.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
That would not really be a safe option given the recent protests to be honest so didn't even consider there. I stayed there once. It is very convient.
I was in the Tung Chung area yesterday for the cable car ride up to the Buddha. I wouldnít hesitate to stay at the Novotel even if protests ramp up again, that hotel wont be impacted unless things were to take place at the airport again (and that seems unlikely).

Yesterday we stayed at the Marriott, agree itís nice when you can get a good rate and have club access. We have day long transits through HKG two more times in December and Iím hard pressed to pick another property.

BTW, we must look American because several American families approached us in baggage claim to ask if we thought it safe to exit and go to the city. Itís really quiet this week so I recommended they all go on as normal. Weíll see what this week brings.

Search this Thread