FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Best congee in/near HK airport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1992521-best-congee-near-hk-airport.html)

adrianlondon Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Best congee in/near HK airport?

Hi everyone, I'm transiting for a few hours and due to the demos and potential MTR issues, I won't be heading into town. If I was, I'd go to Mui Kee Congee in Kowloon for my breakfast. What are my alternatives? I've done some searching and it seems neither HKIA nor Tung Chung have much in the way of consistently good restaurants, although most reviews are dated. I may go to Tung Chung anyway, to do a little hiking, as I have about 8 hours to kill.

I land around 6:30am so was hoping to get a decent congee and dimsum brekkie.

Chromie25 Oct 23, 2019 8:20 pm

I usually go to Ho Hung Kee at the Arrivals Hall. Not a fan of congee but dim sum is not bad - fresh and hot.

ChrisLi Oct 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I think there's a new "Tasty Congee" at the 7/F Food Court which probably has one of the best congee in town.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/s...gee-and-noodle

tentseller Oct 25, 2019 5:21 am

The three branded places where I would consider a bowl of Congee are:
Tasty Congee
Super Super Congee and Noodles
Ho Hung Kee.

But they are not Mui Kee or Sang Kee

adrianlondon Oct 25, 2019 6:18 am

Thanks everyone. I know I'm suffering with my decision not to Airport-Express it into town and back, and I may change my mind on that when I fly next week, but it's good to know that I can get something relatively decent in the airport. I'm flying economy but have status to get me into the lounges, so I can always stock up on dan dan mian in the Cathay lounge in addition.

tentseller Oct 25, 2019 9:06 am

OP:

Did not read the part of your 6:30am arrival. I would say it would be safe to go to Mui Kee or Sang Kee at that time in the morning.
Most of the disruptors are not morning people.

FlyerfromORD Oct 31, 2019 9:00 am

Cathay Lounge's Dan Dan noodles are the best I've ever! Almost worth a diversion thru and layover at HKG just to indulge!

garykung Oct 31, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD (Post 31685999)
Cathay Lounge's Dan Dan noodles are the best I've ever! Almost worth a diversion thru and layover at HKG just to indulge!

OMG...

Schwann Oct 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31686813)
OMG...

Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD (Post 31685999)

Even with my limited Cantonese language skills, judging by the swearing my Macanese girlfriend muttered, she was not impressed by the Dan Dan noodles served in the Pier!

garykung Oct 31, 2019 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 31664816)
Thanks everyone. I know I'm suffering with my decision not to Airport-Express it into town and back, and I may change my mind on that when I fly next week, but it's good to know that I can get something relatively decent in the airport.

Nothing in the airport is decent.

If you are serious about congee, why don't I ask you which kind do you exactly want?

tentseller Nov 1, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31688589)

If you are serious about congee, why don't I ask you which kind do you exactly want?

Time for a FT HK Congee Run?

garykung Nov 1, 2019 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 31690688)
Time for a FT HK Congee Run?

Almost impossible to get this done.

Congee places are not someplace you can sit for an hour or so. Everyone is pretty much eat and go.

Go a hotel or somewhere look decent? Then forget it.

Visconti Nov 2, 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 31688191)
Even with my limited Cantonese language skills, judging by the swearing my Macanese girlfriend muttered, she was not impressed by the Dan Dan noodles served in the Pier!

It's not bad, especially for one with a western palate. While speaking only for myself, it's a heck of a lot better than the Dan Dan they serve up in the SFO lounge. You guys should try that one before knocking HKG's.

PS - Regarding Congee run, good idea! I'd like to who you guys think has the best "pay don sou yook jook" in HK.

tentseller Nov 2, 2019 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31691401)
Almost impossible to get this done.

Congee places are not someplace you can sit for an hour or so. Everyone is pretty much eat and go.

Go a hotel or somewhere look decent? Then forget it.

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31694977)
It's not bad, especially for one with a western palate. While speaking only for myself, it's a heck of a lot better than the Dan Dan they serve up in the SFO lounge. You guys should try that one before knocking HKG's.

PS - Regarding Congee run, good idea! I'd like to who you guys think has the best "pay don sou yook jook" in HK.

The plan is to eat and run.

JClasstraveller Nov 5, 2019 1:37 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31688589)

With respect, this comes across as condescending.