Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A. BACKGROUND INFORMATION

1. What is the purpose of this thread?

Ans: This thread is intended to help for FTers in navigating and resolving any potential issues related to their trips to Hong Kong, in light of to ongoing prolonged civil unrest in Hong Kong. The information on this guide is based on non-biased publicly available facts and data.While editing will be made as necessary to reflect the most updated development, please keep in mind that this guide is non-exhaustive. You should take any as necessary.

Declaimer– this thread is not intended to discuss about the civil unrest. FT has designated threads for the discussion of the civil unrest.

2. What should I know about the situation?

Ans: To make things simple, the civil unrest basically started from an anti-government movement against a proposed amendment to the existing extradition law due to an alleged murder occurred in Taiwan. Then it evolved to a conflict between the police and the protestors, as well as between pro-government/bill amendment supporters vs. anti-government/bill amendment supporters.

3. Does the civil unrest happen 24/7 or else?

Ans: Based on historical development, generally the unrest starts from a demonstration/protest, which usually happens after 12 pm. Then the confrontations start a few hours after the demonstration/protest and lasts passing midnight.

In most of the cases, non-business days are considered high risk days for the unrest. However, if there are any provocations, unrest can still occur on a business day within hours of the purported provocation.

B. PRE-TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT

1. Should I go to Hong Kong now? What about any future trips?

Ans: It is entirely up to you. So far, only Singapore has issued a travel alerts/advisory urging against non-essential travel to Hong Kong.

2. What recourse do I have if I want to change my trip to Hong Kong?

Ans: So far, there is no travel waiver/exception in place for Hong Kong. So the travel provider's standard cancellation policies will apply and most likely you will have to pay a penalty or change fee. However, there are reports of some exceptions have been made. This is straight YMMV situation for now. You will have to discuss your travel providers (airlines, hotel, TAs, etc.) for detail.

3. I heard that HKG has been affected by the unrest. Should I be worry if I plan to transit at HKG only?

Ans: It is entirely up to you.

Since the shut down on August 13, 2019, HKG has significantly tightened its security and heavily restricted its access. The High Court of Hong Kong has imposed an injunction against any non-legitimate use of the airport. In theory, there is no reason why you can't transit at HKG without issue.

However, keep in mind that airport/airline employees do not generally live/stay nearby. Their access may/can be impacted by the unrest, resulting a domino effect that eventually impact flight operations at HKG.

4. Which hotel should I stay?

Ans: It is entirely up to you. Because of how hotels in Hong Kong are positioned, the majority of hotels are nearby hot spots (see below) and have been impacted by the civil unrest. There are only limited options away from the hot spots. Many of those are not easily accessible by public transportation and are usually more expensive in comparison to hotels in similar levels. Use your own judgment to determine which one would work best or the least worst for you.

5. How about travel insurance (including benefits offered by credit cards)?

Ans: Because Hong Kong SAR Government has claimed in several occasions that certain events during the unrest as riots, insurers may exclude coverage as a result. Make sure you review necessary terms and conditions and contact your insurer/benefit administrator first.

6. I would like to go to Macau/Mainland China as well. Do I have anything to concern?

Ans: Yes. Since the civil unrest, both Macau/Mainland China has tightened its border security. It has been reported that many have been subjected to additional questioning. Some have been denied entries, and even detained.

C. IN HONG KONG

1. How can I avoid troubles?

Ans: You can avoid troubles by:
a. Avoid any related discussions in any public settings within the Greater China areas (Hong Kong, Macau, Mainland China, and Taiwan)
b. Avoid going to any hot spots (See below)
c. Avoid taking pictures or video of the protests/confrontations/etc.
d. Avoid wearing any top clothing either in black or white in colour
e. Be vigilant about your surroundings
f. Leave at once when situations are deteriorating, i.e. when you see police personnel in riot gears are present nearby, or there is a massive gathering nearby

Situations can deteriorate in seconds. Please process with extreme cautions and do not wait until the last minutes before out of control.

2. Where are the hot spots?

Ans: Based on historical development of this unrest, the following non-exhaustive points of interests have experienced either major conflicts or damages:
a. Best Mart 360
b. China Travel Service's Entry Permit Service Centres
c. Chinese* banks' facilities - ATMs and/or branches
d. Government buildings named "Government Offices"
e. HSBC Group# banks' facilities - ATMs and/or branches
f. Maxim's operated locations
f. MTR facilities - MTR (including Airport Express) Stations, Light Rail Stations and Bus Stops, Hong Kong West Kowloon (CRH) Station, Malls, etc.
g. Police stations
h. Retail networks of Sino United Publishing (Holdings) Limited, including, but not limited to Chung Hwa Book Company, Joint Publishing and the Commercial Press
i. UGC-funded universities
j. Yoshinoya
k. VTC Member Institutions
l. Immediate vicinity (Within 5-15 minutes of walking distance) of the locations above

In addition, Central Government Complex and Hong Kong Liaison Office have experienced multiple confrontations. When both of the British Consulate General and the U.S. Consulate General are not impacted, they have frequently become demonstration destinations.

Unless necessary, these areas should be avoided as much as practically possible.

* Based on self-identification, including Bank of China (Hong Kong), Bank of Communications, China Construction Bank (Asia), China CITIC Bank, Chiyu Banking Corporation Limited, Chong Hing Bank, CMB Wing Lung Bank, ICBC (Asia), and Nanyang Commercial Bank.

# Hang Seng Bank and the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited

3. How bad is the traffic? How can I get around Hong Kong?

Ans: MTR has been frequently targeted during the civil unrest, which practically paralyzed the entire system. MTR may/can suspended service without prior notices, and this happened in the past. This includes Airport Express service. Please plan carefully if you intend to travel with MTR (including Airport Express). If you intend to use the in-town check-in at Hong Kong/Kowloon Station, please make sure that Airport Express is in service and you are able to reach the station. Please follow Twitter MTR Service Update (@mtrupdate)*.

At this moment, public bus is the most reliable form of public transportation, even routes may be cancelled or diverted. Each of the major bus operators has its own smartphone Apps (KMB/LWB - APP 1933 - KMB/LWB, First Bus/Citybus - CitybusNWFB). Make sure that you have a smartphone with mobile data when you are in Hong Kong. Those Apps can help you navigate within Hong Kong, providing live update to current service status.

* MTR Mobile is MTR's official Mobile App. However, the App has often been criticized for its slow update than this unofficial Twitter.

4. What are the police using?

Ans: During the civil unrest, the Hong Kong Police Force has utilized the following non-exhaustive weaponry:

a. Lethal Weapons
- SIG Sauer P250
- Smith & Wesson Model 10

b. Non-lethal Weapons
- Baton
- Beanbag rounds, delivered by Remington Model 870
- Pepper spray, delivered by canister, water tank spray, pepper-spray projectile (including PepperBall VKS), and/or water cannon
- Rubber bullet rounds, delivered by Remington Model 870 or Federal Riot Gun
- Specialized Crowd Management Vehicle, commonly known as water cannon, delivering special dyed chemical water with tear gas substance
- Sponge rounds, delivered by Pacem Defense ALS Bore Thunder Launcher Adapter
- Tactical light
- Tear Gas, delivered by grenade or Federal Riot Gun

The following are safety data sheet of some of the above weaponry:
- NonLethal Technologies
- Pacem Defense ALS
- PepperBall

Note - the above information is provided for information only.

5. I see from the news that many have protective gears. Should I be prepared as well?

Ans: Preferably not a good idea.

Protective gears may/can be subject to import/export control. You could get serious trouble in found. Also – while unofficially, it seems that the police is focusing those who have protective gears. So having protective gears on can become a case of mistaken identity. Beside, the effect of protective gears are very limited in protection, as they are designed for industrial use only, but not withstanding weaponry.

6. What else can I do?

Ans: a) Make sure you have to your country’s emergency contact (international and local consulate) ready. For other countries which have their consulates in Macau, check with their consulates respectively. For Portugal, please ensure you have the emergency contact of another consulate of an EU member state located in Hong Kong.

Here is a list of contacts of all consulates serving Hong Kong.

b) Because the situation can change very rapidly, especially MTR closures, a smartphone with mobile data is essential when moving about. Having a smartphone App with live alert from a local media will also help you to avoid areas with trouble.

c) Be mindful of your actions. Due to the tightened tensions, an innocent move can be seen as a provocation. Always remember - Safety first.

d) Be extremely mindful about the content of your mobile devices. Any contents related to the unrest may/can possibly cause you troubles, Hong Kong and/or elsewhere.
Print Wikipost

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:23 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MW147
No it's not. Not even close.

I have never lived in HK but I been traveling there for over 30 years, as recently as last month. We are now approaching 6 months of unrest. A couple of weeks ago it seemed to be calming down a bit with protests basically limited to Sunday 2 weeks in a row, but now it has flared up in a big way. As someone who has a lot of affection for HK, I find this all very disturbing. I just don't know how this ever ends. I would still go to HK for business (my next trip will be April 2020) but at this point I absolutely would not go there on holiday. It's a shame. I feel for HK residents.
That's your prerogative, but implying there is more than a tiny risk of having an issue at the airport is way too strong.

Today's events are a perfect example… there were zero issues at the airport, and there was zero reason to worry for anyone connecting. Things have changed since 8/1. We almost certainly won't be seeing major issues return to the airport.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Well, the whole HK debacle began after I had done my routing and booking, so I'm totally coincidentally going to be doing HKG-SZX by land next Sunday. And since my flight has today been changed to another one, I'm tempted to push for a faster transit between the airports, via the landborder, eventhough it's going to be on a Sunday.

So the question is how tight can I keep my transit time from gate to gate as a foreigner (HK visa free, CN with visa) in the current circumstances? If I would choose a more convenient connection, I would have 4:15 between my flights and I only have carry-on. Otherwise I will have some 9,5 hrs, which is pretty much for getting from HKG to SZX, taken there's probably not a meaningful lounge at SZX. OTOH, I could probably spend that time in downtown Shenzhen doing something.

This fast routing seems to be doable in terms of current MTR operations, but not sure if it's doable on a Sunday afternoon? First MTR Airport Express from HKG to West Kowloon station. Then XRL to Futian and change to the metroline 11 for SZX. As there's no suitable CKS catamaran departing around my arrival at HKG and a shared minibus ride feels a bit of an unwarranted expenditure (...says a cheapskate inbound in C ), the fastest possible public transport by land feels like the best bet. Or would perhaps that shared minibus be the only viable option to push for a transit within that assumed timeframe of 4:15?

Many thanks in advance for any constructive input you may have!
You could take the airport bus to Shang Shui and then get on the MRT to the border and connect to the Shenzhen MRT. Your plan involving HSR involves a long walk between Kowloon and the HSR station and then another even longer walk between the Futian HSR station and the Futian subway stop.

The ferry or Mainland direct busses are better options than any MRT option.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The ferry or Mainland direct busses are better options than any MRT option.
Thanks! Yes, I'm currently set to take a direct mainland coach. The hostility in the city seems to have increased, but I'm sure it's true that the direct coach connections will be reliable in comparison to the MRT.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Staying next weekend (Nov 23-25) at the JW Marriott. Should we try and move hotels? If so, I was thinking the Renaissance.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by eneq
Staying next weekend (Nov 23-25) at the JW Marriott. Should we try and move hotels? If so, I was thinking the Renaissance.
Marginally better in that Renaissance is slightly further away from Police HQ/Tamar Government HQ.
And Wanchai MTR is less likely to be shut down than Admiralty MTR (though neither had a problem last weekend)

If it'd cost you nothing, move. But Marriott isn't in a terrible place right now either.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Better lodging location Courtyard Hong Kong vs. H Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok. I would have to ask the Coutyard to refund a non-refundable reservation but more concern with ability to get to/from airport if protest break out via public transport or taxi? Want no interaction with protest.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If by Courtyard Hong Kong you meant the Connaught Road West (Sheung Wan) one, I don't think you'd do yourself any favours by going to Mong Kok. Mong Kok is one of the most-frequently protest spots. Sheung Wan gets impacted less.

Still, drivers won't drive into either area if there is trouble - just that trouble in Mong Kok is more likely.

Want no interaction with protest - I agree that is a legitimate wish. None of the recent protest movements have targeted visitors particularly (the airport protests I thought were unwise as it gives Govt too much to crow about). Unfortunately visitors will be caught up as if strikes or hurricanes.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:36 pm

My brother is arriving late February for a cruise out of Hong Kong and it departs from Harbour City pier. He is staying at the Peninsula hotel and is concerned as faunal payment is next week and doesn’t know if he should cancel any feedback
thanks
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:40 pm

Do not make a non-refundable deposit for travel to Hong Kong.
kevincrumbs and garykung like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LillianJ
My brother is arriving late February for a cruise out of Hong Kong and it departs from Harbour City pier. He is staying at the Peninsula hotel and is concerned as faunal payment is next week and doesn’t know if he should cancel any feedback
thanks
If a hotel guest doesn't care about the cost, the Pen runs a helicopter transfer service between their rooftop and HKG airport. That should work even if protesters block off the road(s) to/from airport. I'd also expect the Pen staff to be resourceful in helping guests make arrangements if there are bad disruptions.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:06 pm

Thanks not sure if that is in his budget or if his wife will fell comfortable with the helicopter
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If a hotel guest doesn't care about the cost, the Pen runs a helicopter transfer service between their rooftop and HKG airport. That should work even if protesters block off the road(s) to/from airport. I'd also expect the Pen staff to be resourceful in helping guests make arrangements if there are bad disruptions.
Originally Posted by LillianJ
Thanks not sure if that is in his budget or if his wife will fell comfortable with the helicopter
Just for reference, this appears to be 26500 HKD one-way (with room for six people)?!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: CX, BA
Smile

Originally Posted by Cryofern
Just for reference, this appears to be 26500 HKD one-way (with room for six people)?!
Haha - if that's all it costs, might as well book a return - sure you might get HK$ 10 discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by percysmith
Marginally better in that Renaissance is slightly further away from Police HQ/Tamar Government HQ.
And Wanchai MTR is less likely to be shut down than Admiralty MTR (though neither had a problem last weekend)

If it'd cost you nothing, move. But Marriott isn't in a terrible place right now either.
I disagree, Wan Chai is almost always hit too when the protests reach admiralty (usually as a result of a march from CWB). Pacific Place is more easily walkable to HK station to catch the airport express when transit is disrupted. There's also a lot more to do in and around PP if you get stuck there. I would say the JW is a marginally better place to be wrt. protests.

That said, I hate the hotel, it's a dump. But that's a separate story.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Better lodging location Courtyard Hong Kong vs. H Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok. I would have to ask the Coutyard to refund a non-refundable reservation but more concern with ability to get to/from airport if protest break out via public transport or taxi? Want no interaction with protest.
Absolutely zero doubt the Courtyard is in a better location. There are almost never any protests around there in SYP, even though it's right next to the Bejing liaison office and western district police station. It's also easier to get to the Airport Express from there, and it's right by the Western tunnel if you need to hop on a taxi.

Mong Kok is one of the areas that is almost always at the epicenter of late night flare ups. Better to avoid if possible (along with CWB)
RooseveltL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.