FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1990597-hong-kong-civil-unrest-survival-guide-q-flame-free.html)

MSPeconomist Dec 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Frab1 (Post 31877727)
I am currently in Hong Kong, staying at the St. Regis in Wan Chai. Have to say we have not really felt the impact of the protests anywhere and only seen few things like a handful of soldiers and a handful of protesters next to the tram station to Victoria Peak (both groups happily ignoring each other). You see a few graffitis here and there, but that's about it.

We had one larger experience and that is that we took the Star Ferry from Wan Chai into Tsim Sha Tsui where we ended up in the middle of large scale protests on Christmas Eve (they ended up on global news stations a few hours later) where everybody wore black and the police started shooting tear gas so that everybody started running. We used common sense and kept our distance and as soon as this erupted we turned around and took the ferry back. Never felt uncomfortable or in danger though and nobody really cared that we were there. I think that worst that can happen is that you are too close to the action and either side assumes you are part of the action, other than that I don't think there is a large physical threat.

After that experience, I have to say that I wouldn't stay at the Peninsula, the Sheraton, or the Rosewood Tsim Sha Tsui. You might not get attacked, but it sucks if they shoot tear gas in front of your hotel and you can literally not leave your hotel.

There is a bit of a feel in the city at night that "something is in the air", but it did never really impact us. I consider trips to Rio de Janeiro, South Africa or any large city in the US a multitude more dangerous than HK.

Not being able to leave the Peninsula would be a good thing IMO. Just stay in and enjoy the facilities.

Pickles Dec 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31878966)
Not being able to leave the Peninsula would be a good thing IMO. Just stay in and enjoy the facilities.

Problem is getting in if it's all shuttered up and surrounded by an angry mob...

helvetic Dec 27, 2019 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 31879303)
Problem is getting in if it's all shuttered up and surrounded by an angry mob...

I've walked through the mobs when necessary. Honestly. it's still fine. As long as you're not directly in the line between the cops and protesters, you're totally fine. If you have a suitcase, the protesters are more likely to help you get through than to give you any trouble.

BuildingMyBento Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 31879806)
If you have a suitcase, the protesters are more likely to help you get through than to give you any trouble.

What you’re saying is, for the first time in their lives, Hong Kongers are being polite?

helvetic Dec 27, 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 31880484)
What you’re saying is, for the first time in their lives, Hong Kongers are being polite?

I've always found them to be polite, kind, and genuine.

Unless you're trying to order food from them.

calbear2005 Dec 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 31880786)

Haha, this was one of my SO's first observations. I've never really noticed it (being Asian and, I guess, inured to it), but it was one of the first things she (Caucasian) pointed out to me.

Visconti Dec 28, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 31880786)

To this day, I'm still so fond of the "pretty girl" or "pretty boy" to get the wait staff's attention.

dulcamara Dec 31, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31883175)
To this day, I'm still so fond of the "pretty girl" or "pretty boy" to get the wait staff's attention.

I assume you're saying those things in Cantonese. This is one Cantoneseism I can't work up the courage to use.

Visconti Jan 1, 2020 9:05 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara (Post 31892551)
I assume you're saying those things in Cantonese. This is one Cantoneseism I can't work up the courage to use.

LOL...yes, of course.

While I generally suck at speaking languages (the general laughter when I utilize my "cowboy" French comes to mind), but, for whatever reason, my Cantonese accent is pretty much spot on. Of course, on the downside my Mandarin causes all sorts of laughter and understandability issues when in Mainland.

PS - Generally, I only use the "pretty girl," but thought I'd add the "pretty boy" to be...ah...per my anticipated New Year's resolution to be more inclusive, I suppose.

BuildingMyBento Jan 2, 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dulcamara (Post 31892551)
This is one Cantoneseism I can't work up the courage to use.

Because it's never true?
--

No matter which language I use in Hong Kong - English, gesticulations, Mandarin, or Cantonese (very, very basic), the response is always a resounding "sowwy, I don't KNOW." Indeed, I have only ever spoken Mandarin to older shop clerks, because the juvenile angst demographic won't have of it.

I suppose that's the true beauty of Octopus...never chat with anyone (in HK) again.

helvetic Jan 3, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm a fan of screaming 服务员 at the top of my lungs when in the mainland. Sadly, not appropriate in HK.

dulcamara Jan 5, 2020 2:57 am

To get back on topic. I'm at the Icon now and will be until Jan 22. Aside from PolyU, which is where I'm working and still somewhat of a mess, the area has been almost completely cleaned up. Harbour City shows no signs of disruption at all, but is almost empty. The starbucks in Mirror Tower is open and looks good as new. The promenade from the Star Ferry terminal to the avenue of the stars is pristine (especially since the crowds are so light) and I saw no sign of damage in a walk from the Icon to the terminal for the ferry to Macau.

Half of the PolyU campus is still waiting for the clearance from the hazmat inspection, routine but taking longer than expected. I'm working in the AMA department and they had some very minor damage. We're still supposed to avoid drinking the water. You can see signs of damage and fire all over campus. The university is doing an amazing job and should be able to start classes on time. Only the library will be shut down for a long time to fix some massive water damage. The pedestrian bridges around PolyU are still mostly closed.

The protests today (Sunday) were at the border and aimed at the parallel shoppers. I've seen zero protest activity so far. I'll have to be on the island sometime in the next couple days and that may change. I think it's ok to come here for work, but would not recommend Hong Kong as a relaxing family vacation destination right now.

Flying Yazata Jan 5, 2020 5:08 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara (Post 31910610)
The protests today (Sunday) were at the border and aimed at the parallel shoppers. I've seen zero protest activity so far. I'll have to be on the island sometime in the next couple days and that may change. I think it's ok to come here for work, but would not recommend Hong Kong as a relaxing family vacation destination right now.

I duly disagree with you. While it's several weeks now since my departure, things have certainly not escalated since that. I don't know what a family holiday (*cough* vacation) means for you, but Disneyland, Stanley etc. are nothing but calm - like they've been all the time. And I wouldn't mind doing a family holiday on HK island or in Kowloon at this time.

calbear2005 Jan 6, 2020 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata (Post 31910894)
I duly disagree with you. While it's several weeks now since my departure, things have certainly not escalated since that. I don't know what a family holiday (*cough* vacation) means for you, but Disneyland, Stanley etc. are nothing but calm - like they've been all the time. And I wouldn't mind doing a family holiday on HK island or in Kowloon at this time.

I agree with this sentiment. I think it's the perfect time to visit. The protests are easy to avoid using a little common sense. Hotel rates are low and, best of all, there are no crowds (point of reference, when I went in mid-November, there was no line for the Peak Tram on Sunday at noon, although I'm not sure how long a normal wait at that time would be).

kamchatsky Jan 7, 2020 3:42 am

My family and I went to HK and stayed there for 6 days over Xmas and New Year. We spent 2 days at Disneyland. Hardly any queues on rides, most waiting for 5-10 mins, and maximum of 20 minutes. We stayed at JW Marriott at Admiralty, and for most days it was fine. On 1/1 there was demonstrations just outside Pacific Place, and some of the subway entrances are closed etc. But it was managable and easily avoided.

We even had dinners at Mongkok/Prince Edward area last Friday night, there were no issues at all.

The noticeable difference are the quietness of the place, the graffitis on the streets and bus stops, the plaster boards all over banks + a number of retail shops, the absence of fences on streets, hastily patched footpaths using concrete etc. But nothing dangerous.

We had a great time in HK and we commented that it is quieter given there are very little Mainland Chinese tourists coming. I actually think it is a great time to come to HK as long as you know which areas to avoid during planned protest day.

Visconti Jan 7, 2020 3:48 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky (Post 31918497)
We had a great time in HK and we commented that it is quieter given there are very little Mainland Chinese tourists coming. I actually think it is a great time to come to HK as long as you know which areas to avoid during planned protest day.

Will be headed there soon again, and think we should enjoy HK as much as we can before things settle and the crowds & tourists return en masse. No assurances, but, generally speaking, go when others are not, and leave when they're arriving usually works best, in my view.

tentseller Jan 7, 2020 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 31918501)
Will be headed there soon again, and think we should enjoy HK as much as we can before things settle and the crowds & tourists return en masse. No assurances, but, generally speaking, go when others are not, and leave when they're arriving usually works best, in my view.

Same tip: Sell when everyone including the C9s at the markets are talking about buying the hot stock.

Enjoy your visit, we need to plan some FT HK drinks DO.

Visconti Jan 7, 2020 10:54 am

RE: C9s

Before I knew any better, will never forget addressing someone as C9. The tongue lashing and berating I received was epic ending with "next time, call me ah-jeah"!

NewbieRunner Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am

A number of recent posts have been moved to OMNI/PR as they do not belong to this thread. Please remember this is a survival guide for FTers visiting Hong Kong during the civil unrest. If you are eligible please continue general/political discussion in the following thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator

percysmith May 23, 2020 6:49 am

網民號召明銅鑼灣灣仔遊行 警方部署警力將果斷執法 https://today.line.me/HK/article/Kmy...source=washare

EMIC May 23, 2020 7:09 am

What does it say? Advertising forthcoming riots, destruction of public property and infrastructure?

tentseller May 23, 2020 7:20 am

Originally Posted by EMIC (Post 32397650)
What does it say? Advertising forthcoming riots, destruction of public property and infrastructure?

It is a call for protest March on May 24:
A - SoGo to Southorn
B - Southorn to SoGo
No permission for March has been filed.

Just a notice for all who subscribe to this "survival guide" .

889 May 23, 2020 8:57 am

Jewelry and gold shops seemed to be closed by 7pm Saturday, though there was no police presence or other sign of impending trouble. But sort of eerily quiet.

EMIC May 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32397666)
It is a call for protest March on May 24:
A - SoGo to Southorn
B - Southorn to SoGo
No permission for March has been filed.

Just a notice for all who subscribe to this "survival guide" .

Thanks for summarizing and translation of ‘advertisement’.
On this forum it seems an odd to be place to be aiding and abetting potential criminal acts, albeit amongst what one hopes will be a peaceful [but unlawful] demonstration.

percysmith May 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMIC (Post 32399136)
On this forum it seems an odd to be place to be aiding and abetting potential criminal acts, albeit amongst what one hopes will be a peaceful [but unlawful] demonstration.

I thought about adding label to above “not authorised”, but I don’t think HKP will feel the need to authorise any protests now that they know which way the winds are blowing.

Take any postings about upcoming protests as see and avoid illegal activity location information.

percysmith Dec 18, 2020 3:42 am

Updated Dec 17, 2020 “arbitrary enforcement of local laws”
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Topcare Dec 18, 2020 8:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32894619)
Updated Dec 17, 2020 “arbitrary enforcement of local laws”
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

I am aware of several companies in certain sensitive industries who no longer permit employee travel to Hong Kong...period!