FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1990597-hong-kong-civil-unrest-survival-guide-q-flame-free.html)

whughes3 Oct 17, 2019 6:01 pm

I arrived in HK yesterday and my hotel (Eaton in Yau Ma Tei) has left a note on the desk starting "You are in Hong Kong during turbulent times"., offering numerous suggestions as to where/when not to go and useful alternatives. There seem to be quite a few obvious tourists about, but much fewer than usual to my observation.

ricktoronto Oct 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by whughes3 (Post 31640091)
I arrived in HK yesterday and my hotel (Eaton in Yau Ma Tei) has left a note on the desk starting "You are in Hong Kong during turbulent times"., offering numerous suggestions as to where/when not to go and useful alternatives. There seem to be quite a few obvious tourists about, but much fewer than usual to my observation.

Like under the desk, in the closet, and other defensive sites.

ricktoronto Oct 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 31637627)
Colour to stay away from: black white yellow and blue.

This is one situation where it is good as a non-Chinese looking dude to not to blend in..

Green would work, Go Saskatchewan Roughriders! on it plus, I'm A Tourist, Please Don't Gas Me, Thanks. Maybe I can get that put on a vest I can carry when not near rioters. Then put it on, reverse my route and skedaddle.

And I am an obvious non-Chinese looking dude.

889 Oct 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Walking around the streets of Hong Kong these days with a slogan in simplified Chinese characters on your T-shirt as suggested above is not really a good idea. (Besides, "tear gas" is normally written 催淚煙, or if you want to be cool, just "tg".)

hmv Oct 20, 2019 7:44 am

What are actually the best sources about areas where the protests are? I assume Google Maps is relatively good updated?

889 Oct 20, 2019 8:29 am

To repeat what's been posted here before, hkmap.live is probably the best up-to-the-minute map of trouble spots, but the legends are in Chinese. Nonetheless you can use it as a guide to troubled areas: where there's a big congregation of symbols there's probably trouble, but scattered symbols are probably just reports of police sightings and such. A little white cloud means tear gas, a small coloured flag means police have given a warning and are about to move in, blue water drops mean . . . well you can figure it out.

When there's active trouble, papers like Mingbao run a minute-by-minute update, and Google Translate will put it into reasonable English. SCMP does this in English, but not so completely.

silverkris168 Oct 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31633364)
Maybe this in large letters on a white shirt

游客
请不要在我身上喷催泪瓦斯
谢谢

You probably want to have that written in traditional characters as opposed to the simplified characters (which are used and associated with the PRC)

rjh Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am

Proposed addition (I don't have direct knowledge):
#. Should I use HKG for a connection, if I'm not planning to go landside?
Can I change terminals as usual?
What about lounges?
Are they fully staffed with normal amenities?
==============================
HKG is currently satisfactory as a connection, staying airside.

You can change terminals as usual.

Lounges are open.

Lounges are normally staffed with the usual amenities.

mobilebucky Oct 22, 2019 5:19 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31633364)
Maybe this in large letters on a white shirt

游客
请不要在我身上喷催泪瓦斯
谢谢

not sure how this will help when police fire tear gas, rubber bullets to the press.
if you don't want to taste all you can it expired tear gas. Stay away from protest area.

christep Oct 22, 2019 6:35 am

I'd like to highlight a couple of issues with the Wiki as it stands (yes, I could edit it, but Garykung would just edit it back)...

1)

a. Best Mart 360
b. China Travel Service's Entry Permit Service Centres
c. Chinese* banks' facilities - ATMs and branches
d. Government buildings named "Government Offices"
e. Maxim's operated locations
f. MTR facilities - MTR Stations, Malls, etc.
g. Police stations
h. Immediate vicinity (Within 10-15 minutes of walking distance) of the locations above
{...}
Unless necessary, these area should be avoided as much as possible.
The problem with this is that 10-15 mins walk of any of the above excludes the entire urban area area of the HKSAR. 10-15mins brisk walk is 800-1200m. It's way too big an exclusion zone. Even if you said not within 300m of any of the above I guess you would still exclude 80% of the urban area. So it's a meaningless injunction.

As a MTR's service, Airport Express is also significantly impacted, please plan carefully if you intend to travel with Airport Express from/to HKG or use the in-town check-in at Hong Kong/Kowloon Station. The use of Airport Express, due to its service irregularity, is NOT RECOMMENDED.
This is excessive. There is almost never any issue with the Airport Express from all stations before, say, 3pm. People travelling in the morning are extremely unlikely to encounter any difficulties. And the service to HK Station has run as normal up until its normal last service on at least 95% of days in the last 4.5 months.

garykung Oct 22, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by rjh (Post 31651139)
Proposed addition (I don't have direct knowledge):
#. Should I use HKG for a connection, if I'm not planning to go landside?
Can I change terminals as usual?
What about lounges?
Are they fully staffed with normal amenities?
==============================
HKG is currently satisfactory as a connection, staying airside.

You can change terminals as usual.

Lounges are open.

Lounges are normally staffed with the usual amenities.

HKG was once impacted by the civil unrest and has been shut down for a day. Because of this only occurrence, I am not inclined to say that as threats to HKG still continue to appear occasionally.

garykung Oct 22, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 31654404)
I'd like to highlight a couple of issues with the Wiki as it stands (yes, I could edit it, but Garykung would just edit it back)...

Don't make me sound like an authoritarian...:p

The problem with this is that 10-15 mins walk of any of the above excludes the entire urban area area of the HKSAR.

For the record, I did not establish an exclusion zone in Hong Kong. I merely mention that these are the area you should avoid (See Q&As 5 and 6).

While I drafted this initially, I understand the avoidance areas are big. But indeed, based on the historical development, many confrontations appeared to be occurred within 10-15 minutes from the most of the POIs I mentioned. I also considered naming the impacted areas individually. But they would be either too small or too big. Hence, the current structure.

Using "minutes" instead of units like km/m/mi/etc. is for the ease to measure.

This is excessive.

Airport Express is not in full service, which it currently serves Hong Kong and Airport only. Its service is subject to change daily. I would not consider this as a reliable service especially service to Kowloon Station is still suspended.

rjh Oct 22, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31655298)
HKG was once impacted by the civil unrest and has been shut down for a day. Because of this only occurrence, I am not inclined to say that as threats to HKG still continue to appear occasionally.

I guess it's a question of frequency since weather or things like massive power failure can also occur disrupting connections. Also, in this case, the authorities seem to have mitigated the chance of a repeat shutdown.

Can we add an item with some additional cautionary language? The fact that airlines aren't granting general rebooking waivers shows to me that HKG is at least ok as a connection, pending other developments.

garykung Oct 22, 2019 11:19 am

Per your suggestions, the Wiki has been edited accordingly.

I have toned down some languages that some may disagree.

christep Oct 23, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31655345)
Airport Express is not in full service, which it currently serves Hong Kong and Airport only. Its service is subject to change daily. I would not consider this as a reliable service especially service to Kowloon Station is still suspended.

Service to Kowloon Station is completely normal right through the day until mid/late-evening. Today, for example, service from Kowloon Station will be suspended at 10pm, but it is normal before that.