Cash vs. Credit in HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash vs. Credit in HK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
What is the end game? The payment tech keeps advancing in China, this is a good thing in my opinion.
I agree its good for the consumer. But I am no fan of the QR code payment - in my experiences, they are slower than alternatives like the Octopus card and contactless credit cards. The fumbling around of the phone, the sometimes dimly lit screen rendering it unscannable, etc..
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CX HK
I agree its good for the consumer. But I am no fan of the QR code payment - in my experiences, they are slower than alternatives like the Octopus card and contactless credit cards. The fumbling around of the phone, the sometimes dimly lit screen rendering it unscannable, etc..
This is definitely NOT my experience. The only possible exception I can think of is on subways/buses because one needs to open the app, navigate to the QR code, and scan it. That said, people who use the subway apps quickly fall into line with the program or --like me-- revert to metro cards and/or single journey tickets. I happen to like single journey tickets myself because they present one of the few remaining opportunities to get rid of spare change.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
This is definitely NOT my experience. The only possible exception I can think of is on subways/buses because one needs to open the app, navigate to the QR code, and scan it. That said, people who use the subway apps quickly fall into line with the program or --like me-- revert to metro cards and/or single journey tickets. I happen to like single journey tickets myself because they present one of the few remaining opportunities to get rid of spare change.
One of the most recent examples I've seen is passengers on the Airport Express trying to scan their QR code ticket (purchased via the Klook mobile app or the official app) at the Central Airport Express station. You will see people struggling with the screen brightness, moving their phone around the scanner, and a jumble of people quickly build up behind them. I can't imagine what would happen if this applies to the MTR! The situation seems better at fast food restaurants and 7-11's, but still in my own experience nothing beats the speed and efficiency of contactless cards (Octopus and credit cards).

With regards to spare change - I used to do that too, when the tram fare was still just $2. If only taxi's were not cash only, there would be no such spare change to get rid of!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the most recent examples I've seen is passengers on the Airport Express trying to scan their QR code ticket (purchased via the Klook mobile app or the official app) at the Central Airport Express station. You will see people struggling with the screen brightness, moving their phone around the scanner, and a jumble of people quickly build up behind them. I can't imagine what would happen if this applies to the MTR! The situation seems better at fast food restaurants and 7-11's, but still in my own experience nothing beats the speed and efficiency of contactless cards (Octopus and credit cards).
That explains a lot. Unlike Klook (small ball player), Alibaba and Tencent have enough vested in QR codes to ensure that all systems surrounding theirs work flawlessly.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:27 pm

Especially if your hands are full, there's no question that swiping your card with a chip and no pin is faster and less hassle than fumbling with your phone. And you keep the card in your easy-to-reach shirt pocket.

(Post Office stamp vending machines are a good 24/7 way to get rid of small change in Hong Kong.)
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by 889
Especially if your hands are full, there's no question that swiping your card with a chip and no pin is faster and less hassle than fumbling with your phone. And you keep the card in your easy-to-reach shirt pocket.

(Post Office stamp vending machines are a good 24/7 way to get rid of small change in Hong Kong.)
Opposite for me. I often have my phone out, in my hand or easily within reach.

My cards are in my wallet and I would have to pull them out of slots, looking up which ones I’d want to use.

My iPhone case has credit card slots for a couple of the most often used cards. But yeah I’ve seen people just tap their contactless cards on a lot of things. Still it seems a lot of people are likely to have their phones out or easily within reach while contactless cards have to be put away after use, since they’re easier to lose or misplace.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If only taxi's were not cash only, there would be no such spare change to get rid of!
I don't understand this, if taxis are the only place you get coins then just spend them in taxis. You should never have more than $18 if you do it right. Also if you have time, taxi drivers are always happy to exchange your coins for notes (and also small notes to $100s) as they need them to give out change!

If I have too many coins and no plans to go to the bank to deposit them, I use them to top up my Octopus in a non-busy 7-11.

Not sure of the benefit of buying stamps, when the post office accepts credit card and Octopus. How often do you need to send a letter in HK?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:31 am

"How often do you need to send a letter in HK?"

ALWAYS when I don't have any stamps around with the correct current postage.

Of course you don't have to use the machines to get stamps. But for counter service you have to wait and wait, since many people pay utility bills at the post office. Plus, the machines are available 24/7. And if you do happen to have stamps around, you can mail your stuff by just dropping it in a nearby posting box. HK post offices are often well tucked away.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How often do you need to send letters anywhere these days?

Do they have online bill pay in HK or are people mailing checks?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by 889
Of course you don't have to use the machines to get stamps. But for counter service you have to wait and wait, since many people pay utility bills at the post office. Plus, the machines are available 24/7. And if you do happen to have stamps around, you can mail your stuff by just dropping it in a nearby posting box. HK post offices are often well tucked away.
1. A lot of post offices nowadays are creating separate windows, 1 for buying stamps/mailing letters, 1 for paying bills.
2. The post office has an app that shows all the PO locations. If you're in a residential neighbourhood they might be "well tucked away", but in commercial areas, they're often on the street, or just up 1 floor in an office building.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:52 am

Yes, there may be one bill-paying window and one stamp-selling window, but that doesn't mean you necessarily get served quicker than with two windows providing both services. Been there.

(Many older people especially in Hong Kong prefer to pay their bills themselves each month.)
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by 889
But for counter service you have to wait and wait
I've lived here for 20 years, and although I don't have cause to go to a post office very often I guess I've done it 30-40 times, whether it be to buy stamps (though I normally do that in 7-Eleven), send a Speedpost parcel, or send or collect a registered package. And in all those times I have never had to stand in line for more than a minute. Generally it's straight to a counter or a matter of seconds.

(Post offices used include the GPO in Central, Wyndham St, and Sai Ying Pun)
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by christep
Generally it's straight to a counter or a matter of seconds.
Agree. It is another story for paying bills, which has separate counters.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:28 pm

"Never"?

You folks obviously don't send Christmas cards. And you've certainly never ever tried to buy CNY stamps on issue.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
"Never"?

You folks obviously don't send Christmas cards. And you've certainly never ever tried to buy CNY stamps on issue.
Guilty as charged.

1. I stopped giving out (Note - not sending) Christmas cards after primary school.

2. I buy my CNY stamps from here:

https://stamps.hongkongpost.hk/?lang=E

Why do I have to wait in line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.