Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Meeting arrivals at HKIA with access controls

Old Sep 16, 19, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Next week I'm heading to Hong Kong for a business trip. My family are joining me the following week.

Anyway, I had planned to get the Airport Express to HKIA meet my family at arrivals and head off to our hotel from there. I understand that with the access controls now, you need a ticket just to get into the terminal. So is there any way to meet someone at the airport?

If you get the Airport Express to HKIA and you don't have an air ticket, can you actually get off the platform? If you can, I'd be happy to head down to the taxi rank or the departing Airport Express platform and wait for them there, but I'm not sure it's possible to do that...

Here's a thought: can you get the Airport Express to Asia World Expo, and just jump on a return train or even just walk back to the airport?
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I don't think you would have access to any of these areas. You can arrive by car/taxi but then cannot enter the terminal to get to the taxi rank or train. Most of the corridors to the airport express are closed off so I presume they are checking closely. When I went they accepted a boarding pass on the phone to enter terminal but weekends get tighter security.

Probably better to hire a driver to meet your family at arrivals and take to your hotel to meet you there. That should go smoothly.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
The airport authority make it very clear in their announcement that they don't want people meeting arriving passengers "unless absolutely necessary".
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
Next week I'm heading to Hong Kong for a business trip. My family are joining me the following week.

Anyway, I had planned to get the Airport Express to HKIA meet my family at arrivals and head off to our hotel from there. I understand that with the access controls now, you need a ticket just to get into the terminal. So is there any way to meet someone at the airport?

If you get the Airport Express to HKIA and you don't have an air ticket, can you actually get off the platform? If you can, I'd be happy to head down to the taxi rank or the departing Airport Express platform and wait for them there, but I'm not sure it's possible to do that...

Here's a thought: can you get the Airport Express to Asia World Expo, and just jump on a return train or even just walk back to the airport?
Don't take this the wrong way, but it appears that there is an inherent conflict between your desire to be chivalrous and common sense.
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Probably better to hire a driver to meet your family at arrivals and take to your hotel to meet you there. That should go smoothly.
I did think of this. But where do drivers meet Arrivals? Can drivers get into the terminals?
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but it appears that there is an inherent conflict between your desire to be chivalrous and common sense.
I thought asking the question was common sense...
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Can drivers get into the terminals?
Hotel or airport authorized car service drivers can.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Hotel or airport authorized car service drivers can.
Excellent, that's the plan then.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
I'm like 65% sure they checked my boarding pass before getting on the airport express 2 weeks ago. I was able to get off the train without a BP, but you can't really go anywhere, and with the security, if you loitered, you'd get questioned at minimum. Please note that even if you get a car service, I don't think they'll let you wait outside the terminal and they won't let you in the terminal.
Unless the people you are meeting are elderly, unaccompanied young children, or infirm, I strong recommend arraigning to meet them at an airport express station elsewhere along the line. It is insanely easy to use.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
So is there any way to meet someone at the airport?
Not without some difficulties. So I would have to say no just for the sake of convenience and avoiding trouble.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:03 am

Today (leving from HKG) only one of the entrances from the train platform into the airport was open and they were checking boarding passes and passport. Seemed quite strict.
A few days ago when I was arriving there was a checkpoint between arrivals and the platform, they let people out of the airport there but not in.

Possibly (not sure if it will work in the future) you could take the Airport Express to the last stop (Expo) and then go back one stop to the airport. That would put you on the platform, but most likely you cannot go further.
You could then meet at the platform (there is a ticket booth in the middle of the platform, there are also a few seats).

Search this Thread