Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

If I openly support the HK protesters, is it dangerous for me to travel to China?

If I openly support the HK protesters, is it dangerous for me to travel to China?

Old Sep 13, 19, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I am a US citizen with no ties to Hong Kong or China.

Is there a chance that the Chinese border security will make me unlock my phone or Macbook and see what I have posted on Flyertalk or other forums on the internet?
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
If you are young, and Asian-looking then the chance is obviously higher than if you are old and white. But I personally wouldn't go to China with any electronic devices currently except a cheap phone bought for the purpose and essentially blank.
kevincrumbs, :D! and tentseller like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:33 pm

If your face appears in a crowd or your post appears on the web, you should take as a working assumption that your identity will ultimately be logged. This may or may not in fact be the case, but you should proceed on the basis that it is the case.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
Yes.

Is there a chance that the Chinese border security will make me unlock my phone or Macbook and see what I have posted on Flyertalk or other forums on the internet?
I believe they won't go that far. But the actual content is definitely a yes.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:23 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
If your face appears in a crowd or your post appears on the web, you should take as a working assumption that your identity will ultimately be logged. This may or may not in fact be the case, but you should proceed on the basis that it is the case.
There is also photo and fingerprinting when you enter China which might be a concern or not. The BBC lost a bet to China's facial recognition technology when they challenged them to find one of their journalist in China.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:36 pm

I am a US citizen with no ties to Hong Kong or China.

misunderstood the OP .. I thought he was travelling to HK to support the protests

Last edited by SQTraveller; Sep 13, 19 at 8:37 pm Reason: misunderstood the original post
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH G
Originally Posted by christep View Post
If you are young, and Asian-looking then the chance is obviously higher than if you are old and white. But I personally wouldn't go to China with any electronic devices currently except a cheap phone bought for the purpose and essentially blank.
I follow the same practice for my tech when going to China, based on my company's guidance. I'll be going to HK only later this year (flying in/out via TPE). Would you/others advise the same practice for electronic devices on that HK-only trip?
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
I've not (yet) heard any reports of searches of electronic devices by HK immigration/customs, so at the moment I wouldn't worry about that.
Old Sep 15, 19, 5:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I doubt HK officers would do something like that unless multiple foreigners were found to be coming to HK to join protests.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Yes.
So practically speaking, what are the implications of that?

Surely the PRC government would assume most Americans/Westerners are generally supportive of democracy, no?
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
So practically speaking, what are the implications of that?

Surely the PRC government would assume most Americans/Westerners are generally supportive of democracy, no?
In their eyes, silent support and vocal support are different beasts.
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:02 am

[Text of quoted post deleted since original post was deleted by Moderator.]

The people of Hong Kong include restaurant and shop workers, and some are faced with the possibility of being laid off because of the lack of visitors. Come to Hong Kong, eat a lot, buy a lot - as a way to show your support of the people of Hong Kong.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 27, 19 at 5:09 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
The people of Hong Kong include restaurant and shop workers, and some are faced with the possibility of being laid off because of the lack of visitors. Come to Hong Kong, eat a lot, buy a lot - as a way to show your support of the people of Hong Kong.
Couldn't agree more. In my view, nothing is more important than having the ability to earn a living. Ultimately, whatever is happening, nothing is more important than taking care of one's family and close friends.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
In the same vein, the Bahamas is about to launch an ad campaign to both point out most of the country is fine and that if you really want to help them, you should go there and spend money, not feel guilty about having a vacation when other islands were destroyed.
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:04 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I have decided not to take any more pleasure trip until the people of Hong Kong get their demands met. It just doesn't seem right for me to be sipping my pina colada with triple rum on the beach, while the people of Hong Kong are fighting for their freedom.
Even for the protesters, many are students, they need to keep their part time job (as store clerks, hotel and restaurant workers) to fund the very costly and 1-time use "gear". Some have to leave home due to unsupportive parents and start paying for their own accommodation.

Search this Thread