Hotel prices during recent demonstrations and other disruptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel prices during recent demonstrations and other disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:07 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
You can get rates like that in Sheung Wan, too. No need to live in the boonies. The HIX is super cheap as are a ton of non-chain hotels.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Dang figures I booked a prepay, non cancellable rate back in May for a stay in February ...
Did the same for a stay in November...I tried to get the hotel to price match; they wouldn't but instead gave me an upgraded room. Small consolation.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:40 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Chromie25
I assume $55 is in USD and you are talking about Olympic station (not park)?
Yes, US $. Google says Olympic station is in Olympic park
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels
Original Poster

I have a bunch of stays coming up booked months ago using the Citi 4th night free benefit (which was discontinued in early September). Just checked rates, and in many cases I'm better off re-booking at current rates, even if that means giving up the 4th night free discount. HK hotels don't like to discount far out, and October/November rates held steady for a while, but now there are some major drops. Once again see the HR/Sheraton/Mira at 1100, Ovolo Southside/HIX Causeway Bay at 600, now even the HI TST at 700 (didn't discount much in summer), and even the IC at 1500 for some dates. Many of these are almost half of what I paid last October/November. Interestingly, LM Cyberport is at 1400 for some dates (which is in line with its usual "high" rates), probably indicating that they can command a premium now due to the "calm" location.

One of my Whatsapp groups had a rumor about HR TST accepting a walk up cash rate of 30USD, but I'm strongly inclined to say it's just that, a rumor. I don't even know how this would work, walk up to the front desk and tell them, "hi sweetie, I have a cool $30 burning a hole in a pocket, you want it?" A little hard to imagine. That said, I'm sure deals can be cut if you have connections, and I've received some emails advertising lower corporate offers.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
$30 cash rate at a nice Hyatt property might lead to a long stay to requalify for status.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The cost of opening a room for occupancy is more than 30USD.
I cannot see a hotel manager approving this.

However, before the end of the year, we might see the local tour operators clearing out rooms that they have committed for 2019 that became unsold. From these middleman we might see 30USD/night.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by tentseller

However, before the end of the year, we might see the local tour operators clearing out rooms that they have committed for 2019 that became unsold. From these middleman we might see 30USD/night.
Thanks for pointing this out. Time to get in touch with my agent.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
The hotel insider/managers I trust most have reported operational costs pretty close (i.e. within 20%) to $30 for 4-5* hotels in HK. They also say that they can occasionally sell rooms at cost or simply comp them against their own budgets using cost as the draw down amount...but, don't expect stay credit in either case.

Ctrip in particular is well known for this (and, not necessarily limited to year end), especially at the handful of hotels where its room blocks are substantial.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Hotels in Hong Kong - inquiry about protests (no political discussion)

I am traveling to Hong Kong next month on vacation. My mom is concerned about me bringing my son to Hong Kong and wants me to reconsider my trip. I am unlikely to cancel, but wanted to figure out if I should avoid certain hotels or locations. I saw the post on the survival guide and will be avoiding the hot spots. I also understand that the app that tracks police/protests is no longer being offered in the app store. I just want to make any adjustments to make lessen the chances of being caught up in any major activity. Here are our hotels (we move around quite a bit due to miles/points/deals) in no particular order:

InterContinental Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui)
Conrad Hong Kong (Admiralty)
Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui
Peninsula Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui)

We had also thought about a 2-3 day trip to Macau to replace one of the hotels above, but immigration and transportation is a deterrent.

Any comments/critiques on my choices above from people who have traveled to Hong Kong recently or live there?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Firstly, if you are coming on a weekday (M-F) then the chances of being caught up in anything are pretty small - I would say just go ahead with whatever you would have done otherwise.

If you're here over a weekend then probably avoid the Conrad, just because Admiralty station is often closed down at weekends and so are adjacent roads, which might make access tricky. Any of the others are OK.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:42 am

The app is still available for Android and the map can be directly accessed without an app on any browser. The map relies on users' reports, though, and my impression is that it's been less active the past week.

The principal focus of protests seems to alternate between Kowloon and the Central-CWB corridor, but yes, just between Admiralty and TST I think avoiding Admiralty is the wiser choice. At least for now. Can't really over-emphasize how fluid and unpredictable the situation is.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Any comments/critiques on my choices above from people who have traveled to Hong Kong recently or live there?
Sure.

Conrad Hong Kong (Admiralty)
Every time, when there is a confrontation at Admiralty, there will be massive tear gas launching near Pacific Place (Conrad Hong Kong is in Pacific Place). In fact, Admiralty is one of the hottest hot spots.

I sincerely hope you like all-you-can-eat tear gas, as there will be no shortage of them.

Note - I am not kidding here.

InterContinental Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui)
Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui
Peninsula Hong Kong (Tsim Sha Tsui)
When there is a massive demonstration or protest, none of the 3 above will be able to escape. Nevertheless, most confrontations in TST are usually confined at Canton Road (near Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal) and Nathan Road (near TST Police Station). So you should be fine only if you stay in the hotels before the confrontation. If not, you may have difficulty returning to your hotels.

We had also thought about a 2-3 day trip to Macau to replace one of the hotels above, but immigration and transportation is a deterrent.
Good idea. Just make sure you "clean" your mobile devices before arrival.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have a 7 night stay at JW Marriott HKG with my wife and 2 kids, just after Xmas and into new year, using Marriott 7-night certificate. At the moment I am hoping that it would die down before Xmas but if not, what other Marriott owned hotels would be "safer" as I still want to use the certificate (assuming room is available for redemption)?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have a 7 night stay at JW Marriott HKG with my wife and 2 kids, just after Xmas and into new year, using Marriott 7-night certificate. At the moment I am hoping that it would die down before Xmas but if not, what other Marriott owned hotels would be "safer" as I still want to use the certificate (assuming room is available for redemption)?
Based on the same category, you can choose either Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel or Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers, preferably Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel.

AFAICT - the immediate vicinity of the Renaissance is not impacted by the civil unrest. Sheraton has been impacted only with major events.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:22 am

The Marriott Courtyard in Western has generally been outside the protest area and should remain so unless demonstrations take a turn towards the Liaison Office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.