Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel prices during recent demonstrations and other disruptions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I keep reading about how luxury hotels in Hong Kong have to offer deep discounts to attract customer. Some travel magazines even mentioned US$50 per night at 5-star hotels... but I'm not seeing any of those deals anywhere... Do you know where I can find them?

Thanks!
Even during the peak of SARs, I never saw sub 400 rates at any 5-star hotels; I would put the "travel magazine" on the spot over this (and, maybe post the article here so we can assist). But, if you're cool with ~800, and can commit to a sizable chunk of nights, you might have decent chances by calling properties directly, and speaking with the GM or assistant GM.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For a luxury hotel, I'm not sure that $50 would cover their marginal cost of housekeeping services, towels and sheets, toiletries, heat or AC, hot and cold water, etc., let alone lounge access or breakfast cost for elites in chain properties.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I keep reading about how luxury hotels in Hong Kong have to offer deep discounts to attract customer. Some travel magazines even mentioned US$50 per night at 5-star hotels... but I'm not seeing any of those deals anywhere... Do you know where I can find them?

Thanks!
BS. At the depth of SARS, when nobody was coming in or out of Hong Kong, the MO lowered itself to offering a HKD 800 rate to HK residents, trying to lure them into staycations. External rates never dropped HKD 2,000 or so. Right now, places like the FS are providing modest discounts, so you can find a room that otherwise would have gone for HKD 4,000 down to HKD 3,200-HKD 3,500. Nice, but not a screaming buy.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For a luxury hotel, I'm not sure that $50 would cover their marginal cost of housekeeping services, towels and sheets, toiletries, heat or AC, hot and cold water, etc., let alone lounge access or breakfast cost for elites in chain properties.
I used to hang out with an FTer who had lots of experience in this area, and he told me that HKD ~250 was widely accepted as the zero mark for normal rooms at luxury hotels. This was about 5 years ago.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
BS. At the depth of SARS, when nobody was coming in or out of Hong Kong, the MO lowered itself to offering a HKD 800 rate to HK residents, trying to lure them into staycations. External rates never dropped HKD 2,000 or so. Right now, places like the FS are providing modest discounts, so you can find a room that otherwise would have gone for HKD 4,000 down to HKD 3,200-HKD 3,500. Nice, but not a screaming buy.
If the MO does that again, I'll book for a night.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Thanks!
I am not seeing any of those magazines anywhere...Do you know where I can find them?

SERIOUSLY
Originally Posted by moondog
I used to hang out with an FTer who had lots of experience in this area, and he told me that HKD ~250 was widely accepted as the zero mark for normal rooms at luxury hotels. This was about 5 years ago.
The cost (zero mark) for a 5* hotels in HK to open the room for occupancy now is above $50US.

Last edited by tentseller; Sep 13, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
There are quite a few 4 star hotels near the central area priced below $60 at the moment
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:24 pm

My family and I always stay at Royal Plaza Hotel (4.5*) when we're in HK. Their rooms are slightly larger than most and we enjoy the space as well as the location. We'll be there mid-Oct. When we initially booked at the end of May, we paid about $230 USD per night (Family Deluxe with 2 queens). I just looked right now and the same room is going for half of that. Unfortunately, our rate was non-refundable, otherwise, I would've cancelled and rebooked immediately.

Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Have you fellow travellers considered/experienced longer stay packages (7-21 consecutive nights) offered by 4-5 star hotels in Hong-Kong?
Current drop in prices make these options far more interesting than renting apartments imho.
Any suggestions/pointers as to which hotels offer these packages?

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm pretty sure that they all will. But the key is to call and negotiate. These aren't published deals.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:42 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Anyone gotten interesting pricing that way? I've reached out to a few hotels but haven't gotten anything that great.

(I like in HK out of hotels full time, so pretty pertinent to me. Mostly split between Hyatt Centric / Hotel Jen / Courtyard because I'm trying to stick to my $1.2k/night average
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Anyone gotten interesting pricing that way? I've reached out to a few hotels but haven't gotten anything that great.

(I like in HK out of hotels full time, so pretty pertinent to me. Mostly split between Hyatt Centric / Hotel Jen / Courtyard because I'm trying to stick to my $1.2k/night average
I haven't needed a longish term hotel during the past several years, but I've never failed to get an offer to my liking when talking with GMs or assistant GMs (the latter is usually best point of contact for this IME because they have similar decision making power as the former, but tend to be a little less busy).
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:18 pm

”Pick a date in the future. If it's more than 2 weeks out, there seems to be a "hail Mary" optimism in pricing (edit: on the part of the hotels that the protests will end and demand roar back up)."

I’ve noticed similar ”Hail Mary” pricing by airlines. Best deals seem to be for departures within two weeks, the reverse of the usual situation.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:10 am

Just called 2 hotels asking about special/hidden offers and was pretty shocked that in both case, the person from the reservation department suggested that I look for special deals on third parties websites like Booking...etc In other words these two prefered to pay third parties websites a hefty commission rather than directly offering a deal to a potential guest.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Fromager
Just called 2 hotels asking about special/hidden offers and was pretty shocked that in both case, the person from the reservation department suggested that I look for special deals on third parties websites like Booking...etc In other words these two prefered to pay third parties websites a hefty commission rather than directly offering a deal to a potential guest.
Are you positive that you spoke with management?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.