Hong Kong to Macau

Old Sep 12, 19, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Hong Kong to Macau

I'm going to be in Hong Kong in a few weeks and plan on taking a day trip to Macau (probably about 9 AM to 9 PMish). This would be on a Thursday. For the water shuttles, do those need to be booked in advance? Or can I just show up 20-30 minutes before the boat leaves to purchase a ticket?

If advance tickets are required/suggested, what happens if I miss my departure? Will they let me on to the next boat with the already purchased ticket?
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
You can just rock up except at peak times (which 9am/9pm on a Thursday is not)

With advance bookings (including the return ticket of a round-trip ticket) the ticket is invalid after the booked ferry. You can go standby on an earlier one, but not later.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
For the water shuttles, do those need to be booked in advance? Or can I just show up 20-30 minutes before the boat leaves to purchase a ticket?
It all depends on you.

During a non-peak time, you will usually be able to buy the ticket for next ferry through official channel. However, during a peak time, the ticket you can buy from official channel will be the ferries hours later.

But, next the ticket counters, there are 3rd party agents nearby who will sell you tickets for next ferry in a premium (about 20-30% more). You can buy this ticket to secure your seat in next ferry.

Also - you can also standby the next ferry. It is first-come-first-serve. But there is a restriction on how early you can standby.

If advance tickets are required/suggested, what happens if I miss my departure? Will they let me on to the next boat with the already purchased ticket?
No. Your ticket is void once you miss that ferry.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
One thing I forgot to add...I'll be leaving from the Kowloon ferry terminal since I'm staying in TST. How often do the ferries run from there?
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
One thing I forgot to add...I'll be leaving from the Kowloon ferry terminal since I'm staying in TST. How often do the ferries run from there?
China Ferry Terminal (TST) has limited services compared to Macau Ferry Terminal (Sheung Wan)

So it is a better idea going to Sheung Wan rather than TST, even the time matches.

Search this Thread