Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Shekou ferry to HKG to avoid potential delays?

Old Aug 27, 19, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA

Hi - hope this is in correct thread.

During September and October I have a lot of visitors arriving via HKG. For me this is business critical as I conclude 80% of annual t/o during this period.
Nearly all are nervous - mainly about their booked flights due to tight schedules - arrival / departures.
As most of their time will be in South China - they are not too concerned about getting caught up in the [daily?] demonstrations in HK.
However, with most visits, we tend to do 'kick-off' and 'wrap-up' meetings with various team members in HK.

Although HKG has taken steps which seem to have stopped demonstrations at the airport, with the present situation still being volatile,, do not think it is safe to assume there will be no further disruptions at the airport, or to and from.

Considering alternatives (changing flights is not one of them!), I have been thinking about the Shekou ferry link to HKG.

During the recent protests at HKG - whilst a lot of flights were cancelled, it seemed the majority were to / from 'asia' destinations, whereas most European and US flights continued, even if only carrying 'transit' passengers.

Can anyone throw light on the situation with passengers arriving by ferry?
Were people still allowed to check in in Shekou, and join their flights without issues? (assuming they were not cancelled)
Tried to call Shekou ferry, but question seemed to be outside of their 'remit'!

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 1, 19, 6:51 pm

This should work since itís all done without actually ďenteringĒ HK. Itís the same as being a transit passenger.

I donít have any qualms about visiting HK and was just there two weeks ago but if I had 80% of my biz riding on critical meetings Iíd be flying into CAN or SZX to avoid even the slightest possibility of disruption to my livelihood.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
This should work since itís all done without actually ďenteringĒ HK. Itís the same as being a transit passenger.

I donít have any qualms about visiting HK and was just there two weeks ago but if I had 80% of my biz riding on critical meetings Iíd be flying into CAN or SZX to avoid even the slightest possibility of disruption to my livelihood.
Thank you @travelinmanS.
Yes, if it were I who was flying, it would be my choice.
However, visitors are coming from US / EU or via previous Asian countries (Vietnam / Thailand / Indonesia etc) or with onward journeys to similar.
Not all have routings to CAN / SZX and most have had trips booked for weeks / months.
I can only advise change of plans - not demand.
Mind you, two proactive customers have mentioned they will now fly internally arriving at HUZ (Huizhou) which will be a new one for me!
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Some things to consider about that ferry: You have to have a confirmed reservation on an operating (e.g. non-cancelled) flight in order to board the ferry. If your flight is cancelled, then you can't board the ferry and take care of it at the airport. They check and will stop you at Shekou. Also, if your flight happens to be cancelled while you're on the ferry, then you must resolve that by getting confirmed on another same-day flight before leaving the ferry arrival hall, otherwise you have to go back to mainland China on the ferry. You can't proceed into the departures hall without a confirmed same-day flight, and you can't enter any other part of the airport (landside, arrivals hall, or HK in general) under any circumstances. There are airline counters available to help resolve issues, but if by chance you can't be accommodated same-day on another flight, you have to go back.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
From what observed so far, if flights are on weekdays you should be fine. If flying out on weekends, recommendation is to stay at Regal Airport hotel the night beforehand.

Plan to arrive airport extra early (say 3 hour before departure) also helps
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I flew out of HKG last weekend a few hours before the airport access disruptions. My experience was uneventful with no problems. There is tight security prior to entering the airport terminal landside, with what looked like 100+ extra private security for the airport (no visible police presence at the time). Security just checked for valid boarding pass prior to allowing entry to the departure hall. Check-in etc. was normal and very fast, maybe 10 nin from arrival to being airside so faster than usual. I was airborne prior to the disruptions, but seems like no flights were cancelled this time. The airport get targeted as it gets lots of world-wide news coverage, my guess is they won't target it again for several weeks. I'd say your ferry plan is a good backup but most likely arriving landside at HKIA would work fine and allow normal transfer into China. The protests are unlikely to target land transfer points to China.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:00 am

" . . . my guess is they won't target it again for several weeks."

"Hong Kong was on Saturday bracing for yet another weekend of protests, with the international airport in the cross hairs for the third time in two months."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3026134/hong-kong-protests-city-braces-another-weekend-chaos-and
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for updated info, and the very valid points from @ Steve M.
As an update - we have managed to find a very helpful person at the Shekou ferry who stated:
'As a general rule, when the severe disruption was happening, they could not keep up with the cancellations and changes by the minute, so they only allowed passengers with confirmed tickets on 'non' asian carriers to board. This was on assumption that the longer distance flights would have an incoming plane already en-route / had arrived at HKIA. However , as usual with China, there were a few exceptions, especially early evening, when the picture became clearer on departing evening flights, although they had to deny people check in for the last 2 ferries in the evening as they were full with most additional travellers having made the journey from HK via Shenzhen".
So, I was not the only person who thought it a good idea.

Reading into it, keep your eyes on events on the day you are flying out, this is a possible route, however, it will still have it's own risks.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Personally I would evaluate more risk with the ferry for needlessly denied boarding (when your flight operates) than going to/from the airport. It was not shutdown by the last protest and don't think it will be again, just more difficult to access the airport due to the blockades. Worst case last tme was a 3km walk to get to the terminal -- not great but viable. Now the Airport Express has contingency plan to operate from Central only (bypassing the other stations), which should keep it running longer during protest times even if targeted. Also the airport has court order keeping out protestors from the airport boundary, not just the terminals, which may help keep the roads open.
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: HH honors, Mileage Plus
A quick question in regards to the Shekou port. Is the subway station at the new port in operation? If not does the new port have Taxi Access? I know for a while the only way to get to the new port terminal was to go to the old port and get on a free shuttle bus.
Old Sep 19, 19, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ama537621 View Post
A quick question in regards to the Shekou port. Is the subway station at the new port in operation? If not does the new port have Taxi Access? I know for a while the only way to get to the new port terminal was to go to the old port and get on a free shuttle bus.
I assume you're referring to the new ferry terminal, which is right next to its predecessor. To the best of my knowledge, no extra entrances have been built at the subway station, but it's still only a 5 minute walk at most.
Old Sep 19, 19, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ama537621 View Post
New terminal does not have station access. There are still shuttle buses running from station to ferry, however, these are now much more sporadic than the initial service.
Taxis have full access for dropping off and collecting.
There is now a 'local' bus station at the terminal (mainly the same routes as used to be outside the old terminal.
It does take nearly 15 minutes to walk from underground station to new ferry terminal. It is surprising just how much further away it is, especially when you turn off the main road! And I can personally vouch there are no shelters from the rain (or sun) between subway and ferry terminal!!
Old Sep 21, 19, 3:34 pm

And have some change: the shuttle bus is no longer free. One or two RMB, I forget which. Not a pleasant walk.
Old Sep 21, 19, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
And have some change: the shuttle bus is no longer free. One or two RMB, I forget which. Not a pleasant walk.
I don't mind walking anywhere in Shekou if the weather is decent and I'm not toting a lot of things. In fact, I used to live there, and rarely availed of cars or bikes.
Old Sep 21, 19, 6:03 pm

Shekou and Nanshan do have very pleasant places to walk. This stretch is not one of them, however. Weather and the extent of your luggage also come into play.

Search this Thread