Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Flying into HKG on October 1st

Old Aug 27, 19, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum

Hello all - can I get your expert views / advice?

I'm due to be arriving into HKG on PRC 70th National Day (flights booked a long time ago before the troubles started). What would you advise me to do?

(1) "You'll be fine - no need to change your plans"
(2) "There's some risk, but it should be okay. Maybe rebook on to a non-CX flight in case lots of CX staff decide to go on sick leave that day", or
(3) "You're crazy! Change the flight immediately to another day - the flights may be cancelled and/or you won't be able to get from the airport to Central

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
My expectation is that there wil be an enormous (millions of people) protest between Victoria Park (Causeway Bay) and Admiralty/Central on that day. Everyone's focus will be on that. I'd be very surprised if there were any protests directly affecting the airport or transport to it.

However, it's certainly not implausible that we will be under martial law by then, in which case expect shootings in the streets, bombings, and all the usual stuff when you have a major civil insurrection.
chitink likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
(1). We're not going to piss on Xi's party. That's just too much provocation.

If we do we either have the Beijing national parade (complete with tanks, missiles, warplanes and goose-stepping) relocated to Gloucester Road, Victoria Harbour used for a cross-strait amphibious invasion demonstration or Victoria Park used for a missile test range. Pick your poison.
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:59 am

There is obviously some risk, but in you situation I would do (1). Worst case you got stuck somewhere for a few days, but in my opinion it is highly unlikely.
I would be more concerned about getting to the hotel (depending where is is) than a disruption at the airport. But that is something you can deal with when you are there.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:30 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
what is your purpose of this trip? if not neccessary and doesnt cost to cancel just forget it all together. situation remains fluid bur there are equally better places in world for a little trip, tham HK right now (disclaimer i live here and life feels normal in kost aspects

always assume/prepare for worst, hope for best.
Old Aug 27, 19, 3:58 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Moving this thread to the HK forum as it’s not specific to CX.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:57 pm

I would not plan to fly in on October 1 without good reason at this point. Too obvious a potential flashpoint. Add in the new MTR approach of closing stations. Add in lurking problems with Cathay and its staff.

But really, none of us knows the direction this will take. All I can say is that I've been surprised again and again by the directions it has taken.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
If you don't mind, I think it is actually more relevant for the CXMP board, given that it's a CX flight and there are specific staffing issues that arise, which are not the case with other airlines (therefore my question regarding whether I should rebook onto another airline)
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Moving this thread to the HK forum as itís not specific to CX.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
If you don't mind, I think it is actually more relevant for the CXMP board, given that it's a CX flight and there are specific staffing issues that arise, which are not the case with other airlines (therefore my question regarding whether I should rebook onto another airline)
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
There is obviously some risk, but in you situation I would do (1). Worst case you got stuck somewhere for a few days, but in my opinion it is highly unlikely.
I would be more concerned about getting to the hotel (depending where is is) than a disruption at the airport. But that is something you can deal with when you are there.
Thanks - just Mid-Levels, so that should be easy enough through the Western Tunnel and up Sai Ying Pun to avoid Central.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
what is your purpose of this trip? if not neccessary and doesnt cost to cancel just forget it all together. situation remains fluid bur there are equally better places in world for a little trip, tham HK right now (disclaimer i live here and life feels normal in kost aspects

always assume/prepare for worst, hope for best.
It's absolutely necessary - if I don't get back to HK by then, my wife and children will disown me!
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Too much travel View Post
It's absolutely necessary - if I don't get back to HK by then, my wife and children will disown me!
Can you change your plans to arrive a day or two earlier?
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - all I can say now is no one knows.

FWIW - it is possible that nothing serious happens. It is also possible that PLA plans a parade for 10/1 in Hong Kong streets.

If you are seriously concerned, then you should change your travel plan. Otherwise, stay everything as-is is sufficient enough.

So far, the majority of the violent encounters are protesters vs the police. If you look foreign enough and stay away the potential affected area, you should be fine.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:31 pm

I have an upcoming trip to Hong Kong as well. I thought for sure this would all blow over weeks again. Obviously, it hasn't. If my flight were scheduled for October 1, I would change it if at all possible. Things are so unpredictable now.
eagle215 likes this.

Search this Thread