Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Requesting Recommendations for 5 nights in HKG w plans for Disneyland and Macau

Old Aug 24, 19, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Alaska MVP

Planning on 5 nights in Hong Kong in the late Fall with plans to spend 1 day at Disneyland and 1 day in Macau. Originally planned on staying in Causeway Bay or Central for the entire time and taking public transportation/ferries from there. Now wondering if it would make sense to spend 2 nights at the SkyCity Marriott on Lantau Island after arriving at HKG and go to Disneyland and Macau from there. We'll probably have a lot of luggage with us (i.e. possibly 2 suitcases each). Then we would spend the last 3 nights on Hong Kong Island.

I'd lived there in the early 2000's before Disneyland and the bridge to Macau opened. Looking forward to seeing the new sights in Hong Kong.

Thank you!
Old Aug 26, 19, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There is probably more information on the Sky City Marriott on the Marriott forum but I would probably spend the 5 nights in Causeway Bay Central and use public transport ( I would grab the Macau ferry from the terminal on Connaught Road) rather than change to save changing hotels.

Regards

TBS
Internaut likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Depending on your flight times you may be able to take the ferry directly from airside at HK Airport to Macau at the beginning of your trip, or back to the airport at the end (this option requires that you be on one of the airlines that allows Macau check-in). That would reduce the number of border crossings and ferry trips by one.

I don't think it makes sense to change hotels within HK - Disneyland is very easily and quickly accessible by MTR. There are some exceptionally good deals on hotels at the moment - I would get one locked in somewhere around TST, Central, Admiralty or Wanchai for the best connectivity. The Sheraton has standard rooms for about $1200, and the Intercon at $1500 at the moment which is about half what they were a couple of months ago!

Last edited by christep; Aug 26, 19 at 3:24 am
Old Aug 26, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by divine View Post
Planning on 5 nights in Hong Kong in the late Fall with plans to spend 1 day at Disneyland and 1 day in Macau. Originally planned on staying in Causeway Bay or Central for the entire time and taking public transportation/ferries from there. Now wondering if it would make sense to spend 2 nights at the SkyCity Marriott on Lantau Island after arriving at HKG and go to Disneyland and Macau from there. We'll probably have a lot of luggage with us (i.e. possibly 2 suitcases each). Then we would spend the last 3 nights on Hong Kong Island.

I'd lived there in the early 2000's before Disneyland and the bridge to Macau opened. Looking forward to seeing the new sights in Hong Kong.

Thank you!
The Macau ferry at the airport can only be accessed from Airside so there is no benefit to staying at an airport hotel from that perspective and to get to Disney would be a bus to Tung Chung then swap onto the MTR. Macau is easily doable from downtown as a day trip and, having spent some time there, unless you're into gambling and really want to stay mega late, there isn't much to gain from an overnight in Macau that you wouldn't get from just a day out. So arrive, airport express to downtown, check into hotel and then no more moving the big bags, do Disney by MTR and Macau by fast ferry, or bus (or helicopter) for the day with no luggage.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The short answer is no.

It takes time and effort switching hotels. So it may be best to find a convenient hotel for the entire trip rather than moving around.

Also - public transportation is usually convenient nearby major hotel chains. So you are not obligated to stay within certain areas.
Old Aug 27, 19, 4:36 am

Programs: MP, BR
Based on your planning, I would actually try to see if there are any deals to be had for Disneyland hotels and stay the night before you go into Disneyland; you can head back into town after the Disneyland trip. Skycity Marriott may also have packages that include Disneyland tickets which might be worthwhile.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Alaska MVP
Thank you for the thoughtful responses and guidance for planning!!
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:01 am

assuming you have kids and thus going to DL. HK DL is generally regarded as one of the worst. If not for kids, I would spend my time elsewhere. If going to Lantau, make sure you buy tickets online, otherwise the queue is terrible.

I would also consider going to Ocean Park rather than DL.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
assuming you have kids and thus going to DL. HK DL is generally regarded as one of the worst. If not for kids, I would spend my time elsewhere. I would also consider going to Ocean Park rather than DL.
If someone makes that assumption about kids and DL, they probably would be better off at Ocean Park, but that may not apply to the OP. If they're a Disney fan, suggesting that they go do Ocean Park instead just because they don't have kids is a terrible suggestion. And, the issues of it being only half a DL have largely been fixed in the 14 years since it opened.
kevincrumbs and moondog like this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by divine View Post
... Now wondering if it would make sense to spend 2 nights at the SkyCity Marriott ...
We recently stayed at the SkyCity. Hotel is nice and very close to the Airport. They offer a free shuttle to TungChung station. But you have to take the bus if you want to get to Macao. I can cleary recommend the Hotel itseld. However consider a hotel in the city as well.

Search this Thread