Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
Recommendations for Travel Insurance

I am travelling to Hong Kong soon and I was wondering which travel insurance policies anyone can recommend, particularly in regards to cancellations just in case there is anymore disruption in Hong Kong?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
What country are you buying insurance in? The T&C vary even for same company by country. In general most travel policies exclude "civil unrest" for reimbursement so you may have great difficulty in finding insurance that covers any delays and expenses you incur in Hong Kong. Personally I have an annual travel policy from Zurich Insurance which works well for me but it would not pay out for most likely HKG scenarios imho. My main reason for travel insurance is to cover medical evacuation costs (which are often >$100k and can be life-saving plus difficult to arrange); haven't had to use that (yet). Covering costs for delays I can manage on my own.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Even if the insurance does, in principle, cover civil unrest, it wouldn't work to buy it now because you would fail a "pre-existing condition" test.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Since you didn't opt to buy travel insurance before the unrest started I'd be surprised if you can find any travel insurance provider who will now cover you for any disruption caused by it.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:26 pm

I purchased a policy from TravelGuard for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong. I checked my policy. Coverage for issues due to civil unrest are exempted. I was very disappointed to read that.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
I purchased a policy from TravelGuard for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong. I checked my policy. Coverage for issues due to civil unrest are exempted. I was very disappointed to read that.

Pretty standard for all insurance that they do not cover civil unrest...(don't shoot the messenger,lol)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Good luck with that. I'm not about to check every provider for you, but Allianz doesn't cover civil disorder or unrest except as expressly covered under cancellation, interruption or delay policies. So protests aren't enough to cash in on insurance for cancellation, unless they precipitate something that is a covered reason.

However, if civil disorder either delays your trip or messes up half of it, Allianz will cover you

If you're worried about canceling due to the unrest, get a policy that covers you if you cancel for any reason. Those policies are more expensive (duh), but that's your only option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.