Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:23 am
wkc

Those interested in watching continuous livestream footage to keep themselves informed as events unfold are welcome to go here:

https://bit.ly/31zS6BO
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by christep
Yes, but where is he starting from? (i.e. where is he stuck now?) The airline might route him <xxx>-SIN-LHR, for example.

I think he was at LHR, departing FOR HKG...
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by no longer atc
I think he was at LHR, departing FOR HKG...
I thought he said he was flying to HKG to connect to LHR. And he was stuck in his original city because HKG is closed. Not sure where he was starting from.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
What about SZX? If you have a connecting flight out you ought to be able to get the free transit visa. If it doesn't work out you can get a 5 days visa at the border.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nacho
What about SZX? If you have a connecting flight out you ought to be able to get the free transit visa. If it doesn't work out you can get a 5 days visa at the border.
Can you? SZX has VOA?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Need
I thought he said he was flying to HKG to connect to LHR. And he was stuck in his original city because HKG is closed. Not sure where he was starting from.
ended rebooking on SQ, flying SIN to LHR tomorrow AM...

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Aug 12, 2019 at 9:04 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith

Can you? SZX has VOA?
Yes, but only for inbound and can apply in SZX on arrival. https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...-visa-free.htm

However there's a 5 day Shenzhen visa foreigner national can obtain at the border.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Yes, but only for inbound and can apply in SZX on arrival. https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...-visa-free.htm

However there's a 5 day Shenzhen visa foreigner national can obtain at the border.
My understanding is that is available only at a land border port (in the post you referenced, Huanggang). Not an airport.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
My understanding is that is available only at a land border port (in the post you referenced, Huanggang). Not an airport.
The 5 days visa can be applied in LuoWu and Futian checkpoints. I did it for Mr. in both places, and in LuoWu I met an agent who said that she can arrange whole China visa from there (needs to pre-order by contacting them though).

It takes an hour to get the visa, make sure you have cash for the visa (RMB not HKD) and a passport picture.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

According to SCMP, hundreds of inbound and outbound flights are also being cancelled today, Tuesday.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by 889
According to SCMP, hundreds of inbound and outbound flights are also being cancelled today, Tuesday.
according to flightradar24, cargo flights into and out of HKG operated normally last night.... strangely, I also saw a bunch of 777s(United Airlines, Air France) landing and taking off at HKG around midnight with no destinations listed in the flight plans.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:00 pm

The 5 days visa can be applied in LuoWu and Futian checkpoints. I did it for Mr. in both places, and in LuoWu I met an agent who said that she can arrange whole China visa from there (needs to pre-order by contacting them though).

It takes an hour to get the visa, make sure you have cash for the visa (RMB not HKD) and a passport picture.
Oh I get what you mean - land HKG, proceed to border, leave SZX.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
Confirmed by HKG MyFlight app as well as CX website.

My NGO has a family of five MNL HKG YYZ today. CX930 cancelled but CX826 is flying. They have been rebooked as a party of five with seats together next Monday.
They have been offer to keep their CX826 tonight if they make their own way to HKG. Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by tentseller; Aug 12, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
CX has suspended check-ins at HKG along with some other airlines.

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
According to flightradar24 currently mostly CX planes are en-route to HKG. A few other airlines are en-route, too. I can see AY99 from Helsinki, EK380 from Dubai, SQ2 from Singapore, QF117 from Sydney. A lot of the European carries have not yet left for today but I checked LH and both fligths from FRA and MUC are still scheduled as planned. Same for out-bound flights. A lot of CX but other carriers, too. I see UA 862 to SFO, AC2008 to YYR, SQ865 to SIN. So the airport seems to operate and it really depends on the individual airline if they fly to or out of HKG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.