Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
ATC strikes and flash protests. Unless things change.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Australian Government has raised the level of caution at Hong Kong to High Degree of Caution.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/asia/north/Pages/hong_kong.aspx
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Australian Government has raised the level of caution at Hong Kong to High Degree of Caution.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countri...hong_kong.aspx
US also raised travel advisory of Hong Kong to level 2 today.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
NY Times is saying there are planned protests/strikes at the airport on Friday. I can't find anything about that in the press, can someone confirm? I am due to fly THROUGH HKG on Friday, and want to make sure CX is going to be mass canceling flights due to this, as if thats the case, I would ask for a rerouting. Thanks!

Here is an article from SCMP talking about the protests at the airport starting at 1PM on Friday:
https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ort-tai-po-and

Last edited by joelfreak; Aug 7, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by joelfreak
NY Times is saying there are planned protests/strikes at the airport on Friday. I can't find anything about that in the press, can someone confirm? I am due to fly THROUGH HKG on Friday, and want to make sure CX is going to be mass canceling flights due to this, as if thats the case, I would ask for a rerouting. Thanks!

Here is an article from SCMP talking about the protests at the airport starting at 1PM on Friday:
https://yp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ort-tai-po-and
I'm not aware of any call for strikes on Friday (next Monday is the only possible date I've heard). The protests, per se, have no impact on flights, even when they are at the airport.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by christep
I'm not aware of any call for strikes on Friday (next Monday is the only possible date I've heard). The protests, per se, have no impact on flights, even when they are at the airport.
Airport Authority has announced the departure area will be limited to passengers holding flight tickets between 0600-2359 daily between 9-11 Aug. Access to the check-in counters will be through the specific gates (shown on red line across check-in gates) on departure level
Arrival level seems to be unaffected (where daily protest will be held)
Sources from LIHKG said popo told airlines/AA to advise passengers to arrive at least 8 hours before departure... (not fact-checked) (https://lihkg.com/thread/1432800/page/1?post=1)
Seems the presence of popo cause more trouble than the protesters themselves

Credit: Facebook (
)

Credit: LIHKG (https://lihkg.com/thread/1433028/page/1)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:23 am

"Airport Authority has announced the departure area will be limited to passengers holding flight tickets between 0600-2359 daily between 9-11 Aug."

There is nothing on HKIA website to substantiate this. At this moment, around 1am Friday HKT, the official announcement says:

"Airport Authority Hong Kong (AA) is aware that there have been calls posted online for a public assembly at the airport on 9-11 August. The airport will operate normally. Passengers should allow sufficient time for travelling to the airport."

Posters should avoid passing off social media gossip as gospel.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by 889
Posters should avoid passing off social media gossip as gospel.
This isn't gossip. Those screenshots aren't fake(d). Various news outlets have verified.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Where's the AA announcement that the poster has trumpeted?

This may or may not happen, but it really is critical at a time like this to take great care in passing on rumours and to be absolutely clear in posts whether a report is official or not. As I said, officially AA says normal operations will prevail.

Bear in mind that taking an "air ticket" to the airport is not a requirement in most cases at HKIA: you just show your passport.

Last edited by 889; Aug 8, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Where's the AA announcement that the poster has trumpeted?
I'm not sure where you are or what languages you can read. But it's all over the news now.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Mingbao in its headline states it as fact that the AA is limiting access to Terminal 1, but then you read the story and find there's no actual confirmation of this from the AA, which is simply quoted as saying normal operations will prevail and that security will help passengers and staff enter the building.

機管局表示,留意到網上有人發起於8月9至11日於機場集會,香港國際機場會維持正常運作.

機管局回覆表示,機場保安人員屆時會在現場協助旅客或機場員工進入該處範圍.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:58 pm

RTHK: https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...3-20190808.htm

機管局稱未來三天限制進入離境大堂人士

2019-08-08 HKT 21:18
機管局表示,留意到網上有人發起於明天起、一連三日在機場集會,由明日至星期日、早上6時至晚上11時59 分,持有有效機票或於24小時內離港的登機證,以及有效護照的離境旅客,或持有相關證件的機場員工,才可進 入一號客運大樓離境大堂的旅客登記行段。
機管局說,有關措施是為維持離境旅客登機過程及客運大樓運作暢順,機場保安人員會在現場協助旅 客或機場員
工進入該處範圍。

Mingpao: https://news.mingpao.com/ins/%e6%b8%...a4%a7%e5%a0%82

【20:21】有網民發起明日(9日)起一連三日在機場集會,《明報》獲得機管局今日發放的內部通告,內容 顯示,為確保香港機場一號客運大樓運作暢順,由明日至11日上午6時至晚上11時59分,將於一號客樓大樓 旅客登記大堂實施進出管制。機管局回覆表示,機場保安人員屆時會在現場協助旅客或機場員工進入 該處範圍。
文件指出,實施進出管制期間,持有將於24小時內離港機票或登機證及有效旅行證件的離境旅客,或持有身分證 明如機場禁區通行證的機場員工,才可進入一號客運大樓旅客登記行段。
警方今日表示,留意到有關消息,強調機場範圍受法律規管,而警方暫未接獲集會申請,相關團體或人士需知會警 方。警方呼籲參與集會者守法,切勿滋擾旅客及擾亂秩序。
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:11 pm

At least the RTHK report quotes the AA directly on this point. Mingbao relies on tne unconfirmed 内部 statement.

As an aside, my suspicions that this might be fake were fueled by the Chinese schematic attached to the 内部 announcement. I somehow thought the AA operated in English.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have plans to be in HK in October. 3 different times actually, in and out of China in between. I will be in TST for 1 night, then into China for a few days, then back for 2 nights in Wanchai (for a fair at the Convention Centre), back to China for the Canton Fair, then back for 2 nights in TST. The last stay includes a Sunday when I won't be working. A day of leisure in HK is always relaxing and enjoyable.

I have not thought anything about making the trip. And while I currently have no plans to change anything, I have to admit that some second thoughts are creeping into my head. I have been traveling to HK since the 80's so I know my way around. But still.....if this is still going strong in October, I may have some changes to consider. And I wonder if it will effect the show I will be attending at the Convention Centre.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MW147
I have plans to be in HK in October. 3 different times actually, in and out of China in between. I will be in TST for 1 night, then into China for a few days, then back for 2 nights in Wanchai (for a fair at the Convention Centre), back to China for the Canton Fair, then back for 2 nights in TST. The last stay includes a Sunday when I won't be working. A day of leisure in HK is always relaxing and enjoyable.

I have not thought anything about making the trip. And while I currently have no plans to change anything, I have to admit that some second thoughts are creeping into my head. I have been traveling to HK since the 80's so I know my way around. But still.....if this is still going strong in October, I may have some changes to consider. And I wonder if it will effect the show I will be attending at the Convention Centre.
Many of us are wondering whether to make our planned trips to HK this fall. Right now I really don't know what I would do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.