Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

Hello, I am planning a trip to Hong Kong July 14. If the public demonstrations continue at a similar level as the last few weeks, what impacts should I expect? Transportation mainly? Or much more than that. Also, I did not book a hotel yet. Think it would be best to stay in Kowloon or another area to stay away from demonstration sites? Any thoughts welcome.....
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Buses and taxis around Admiralty and Wanchai are impacted to varying degrees. The MTR is only impacted if there is a BIG (1M plus) demonstration. But it does run higher frequency when the streets are a bit blocked.

If you are on Kowloon side, or Lantau, then there is no impact at all - this is all just on the north side of HK Island.
1k-all-the-way and tentseller like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes, stay away from Wan Chai (Police HQ) and Admiralty (Government buildings).

While there have been many last minute bus diversion, MTR being underground is running with the exception of not stopping at certain stops when the crowd above the station gets too large.

Friday I did not even try to leave from my office's parking garage, (less than 2 blocks from Police HQ).
1k-all-the-way likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:11 am

At the moment, I would avoid booking anything in the Central-Admiralty-Wanchai vicinity.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: CX AY DL
the 4 hotels above pacific place are particularly "risky"
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm traveling in HK this weekend and had booked a stay at the Conrad which is where I usually stay. I called them a few days ago and was told by the front desk and concierge that the protests had been impactful on travel to/from the hotel over the prior weekends. Notably at times the MTR was not stopping at Admiralty and all roads were blocked.

I wanted to avoid that so I canceled my stay and got another hotel in Sheung Wan. Conrad gave me a credit for future stay (was a nonrefundable reservation) which I am fine with.
1k-all-the-way likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:27 pm

Expect roads to be blocked and transport disrupted this coming weekend. The July 1st march will be huge (will start at CWB stretching to Central) and people could start gathering around Legco on Sat/Sun.

Otherwise the only 'annoyance' is the Next Bus option on the bus app isn't giving updates.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Our office is in Wan Chai and very close to the police HQ.
We are not parking any vehicles in the buildings parking facilities as last Friday our vehicles were stuck.
We have one of our summer intern monitor Line and Telegraph for any potential developments and escalations. Base on feeds from these two social media/chat sites is to expect something on a grand scale due on July 1 HKSAR Establishment Day.

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Expect roads to be blocked and transport disrupted this coming weekend. The July 1st march will be huge (will start at CWB stretching to Central) and people could start gathering around Legco on Sat/Sun.

Otherwise the only 'annoyance' is the Next Bus option on the bus app isn't giving updates.
Next bus app is giving the bus route diversions in PDF format, the only issue is you have to know your streets and stops well to understand the actual diversion. While this is ok for locals who ride the same bus routes daily but tourists would be lost.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:11 am

At least the buses can go around, but the trams are/will be stuck.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:20 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Recent, 23-24 June, Experience, TST and Central

I was there for two nights, 23-24 June, and there was, surprising to me, no impact. My hotel was in TST and I travelled extensively in Central, including transiting Admiralty MTR. I didn't go to Wanchai or farther East.

Apparently the demonstrations bookended my stay. YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I am in HK now and today's riot/march/disturbance affected down the MTR Tsuen Wan line which was "red" earlier skipping Admiralty and Wan Chai stations completely (IIRC those two) but it is now green again. Airport Express was green all day and still is.

In Kowloon it was like nothing was going on, including the Tsuen Wan line as far as TST. Buses normal and very little traffic unlike a weekend where everyone is about.

I would not have wanted to be on the Island today just using common sense of avoiding a million people anywhere especially angry ones who are being shot at with tear gas and water. I've run from tear gas in Managua and that was enough for life.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Just to be clear, between 190 and 550 thousand of us (depending on whose estimate you believe) took part in an utterly peaceful march today. People of all ages including babes in arms, pushchairs, and up to seniors in wheelchairs. There was absolutely no trouble whatsoever (apart from quite a long time standing more or less still due to congestion). We all made our points peacefully and then went home. The route had all the civilised things you would expect - water refill points (it was 32 degrees and 85% humidity), recycling points, first aid points, litter clean-up teams.

None of us was exceptionally angry (more sad, frankly), and none of us were shot at in any form. I think I saw less than a dozen policemen on the whole route.

Don't let sensationalist tabloid journalism (at which people like the BBC seem to excel these days) distort the truth.

A few hundred hotheads in a very well-defined area got a bit worked up in the evening. It had absolutely no impact on anyone outside about a 500mx500m square.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:38 pm

Just to keep the geography up-to-date, there were conflicts between protesters and the police Sunday night in Mongkok, on Kowloon side.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Thanks. My trip is next Saturday arriving Sunday. Seems like things got worse today from a travelers point of view.. Any thoughts about if it's still ok to travel, and if so what area to stay in appreciated...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:14 pm

In my view, I'd go with the HR TST. It's relatively close to the Star Ferry where you can cross into Central and with an underground passage through K11 to access both TST/East TST MTR stations making it highly unlikely you'd be trapped, wherever & whenever a potential gathering may arise.

While there can be no assurances, I'd have no issues going, but do appreciate the potential risks/inconvenience certainly wouldn't be comfortable for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.