Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:31 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 889
Just a caution that if you can't pass for Chinese, you might consider particularly steering clear of the protests. There are reports that photos of Westerners seen around the protests are being circulated on pro-Mainland media.
A few folks in Shaoguan (Guangdong) thought I was a Uyghur.

Lose-Lose situation, unfortunately...
:D! likes this.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Aug 3, 2019 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Another trip to HK complete without any issues other than the dang rain.
christep, percysmith and chavala like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Another trip to HK complete without any issues other than the dang rain.
I assume you weren't in TST tonight. Should do wonders to clear out the touts and tourists.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I assume you weren't in TST tonight. Should do wonders to clear out the touts and tourists.
Is that the same one as the one in Mong Kok? Mong Kok was where I was staying last time when I visited HK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1UT05F
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Need
Is that the same one as the one in Mong Kok? Mong Kok was where I was staying last time when I visited HK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1UT05F
Yes, the crowd headed down to TST from Mong Kok, all the way to the Cross Harbour Tunnel, Salisbury Road, and the Peninsula.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
5/8 HKG ATC disruptions per Apple Daily https://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.p...647&a=59896545

No official announcement from AAHK or CX or HX...so this is just Apple Daily claim for now

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 4, 2019 at 5:05 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
5/8 HKG ATC disruptions per Apple Daily https://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.p...647&a=59896545

No official announcement from AAHK or CX or HX...so this is just Apple Daily claim for now
Could you give a brief summary of that article, but in English?
I’m flying out tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by chavala

Could you give a brief summary of that article, but in English?
I’m flying out tomorrow morning.
Normally I would've referred you to Google Translate, but since there's also a paywall the gist is Apple Daily claims (without any corroboration) that 1/3 of tomorrow's ATC shift has already called in sick.

Apple Daily is pretty anti-Government in the political spectrum, but a sizeable newspaper.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith

Normally I would've referred you to Google Translate, but since there's also a paywall the gist is Apple Daily claims (without any corroboration) that 1/3 of tomorrow's ATC shift has already called in sick.

Apple Daily is pretty anti-Government in the political spectrum, but a sizeable newspaper.
Thanks. Yeah it was trying to make me sign up to read it (I think)
If you hear anything more please post!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Who knows what will happen, but to date the protests have grown in intensity, so I would take seriously the talk of a strike particularly impacting public transport tomorrow, Monday. Of course in HK shutting down public transport shuts down the city.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
There are approved rallies tomorrow (5th August) from 11am/12noon in:
Central
Admiralty
Tuen Mun
Shatin
Mongkok
Tai Po
Wong Tai Sin

So most Hongkongers are fairly close to one of those.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:15 am

Again per Apple Daily, possible single runway operation only tomorrow, aircraft movements halved from 33 to 16 or 17

37 CX and KA flights listed at hongkongairport.com as cancelled (I see among them CX 332, 568, 653, 406, 279, KA 430, 486, 650, 714, 342, 832, 436, 311 and others)

https://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.p...391&a=59897445
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 am

SCMP now says the same:

"The airport is expected to reduce flight operations down to just one runway from two. Based on estimates, this could mean half of flights on Cathay Pacific Airways, the city’s flag carrier, could be affected."
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3021383/hong-kong-prepares-transport-nightmare-citywide-strike
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 am

First time poster, long time lurker> I am going to HK with my mom and younger sister to HK for 4 days before catching our flight back to EWR. Has been booked for a while as its at the tailend of a longer trip. While I wouldn't be too worried if I was solo but would prefer to not get barricaded out from our hotel area just in case protests break out or causing any undue stress to my mom. The hotels I am considering are Ritz Carlton HK, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, and the Peninsula. Which would you recommend in terms of neighborhoods that would be removed from potential unrest/demonstrations? I have stayed at the RC before and love it but was looking forward to checking out the main island but safety is priority 1 on this trip.

Thank you!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:24 am

The Panda in Tsuen Wan?
Happy, percysmith and tentseller like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.