Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: garykung
Wiki Link
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by groovbusta View Post
I'm heading to HK for a few days work next week and am planning to stay around Admiralty station, which my local friends say should not be an issue during the work week. They've said protests and transport disruptions have mostly been confined to weekends.

Other colleagues are staying closer to HKG airport to minimize risk of travel delays.... should I be concerned? Only staying in HK Mon and Tues nights.
To me the key phrase here is "should not be an issue". These days there is always cause for caution and concern. Is that enough to cancel? That is up to you. I have been traveling to HK for over 30 years. Last month I was in and out 3 times over a 2 week period, and had absolutely no issues. But issues can arise pretty much anywhere, and while it had been mostly limited to the weekends, and for a couple of weeks more specifically Sunday only, that may have changed these past couple of weeks. No one can give you any firm assurances right now. All I will say is that if you are smart and alert you should be able to avoid trouble.
Old Nov 6, 19, 2:58 pm
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Is the Admiralty station often affected by closure or issues ? I am thinking about a visit in February and I am eying towards staying at the Conrad.
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:12 pm

As I've said before, framing this as a personal safety issue misses the point.

The point is whether current events are likely to disrupt your plans and interfere with your enjoyment of Hong Kong, especially but not exclusively on weekends. The answer is Yes, and it's an answer most relevant to those making discretionary trips to Hong Kong for tourism. There's a sense of tension and unease in the city, and all in, it's not a relaxing time for a vacation.

But as someone will no doubt remind us, a little bit of tear gas won't kill you.
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:30 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Is the Admiralty station often affected by closure or issues ? I am thinking about a visit in February and I am eying towards staying at the Conrad.
Conrad is at the Admiralty hub, a major transit point for MTR rail and buses. It is also where there are many major government offices.
Base on historical data of events and probability of disruption I would not recommend visitors to stay there now. However, Feb is 3 months away and things can change.
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 889 View Post

The point is whether current events are likely to disrupt your plans and interfere with your enjoyment of Hong Kong, especially but not exclusively on weekends. The answer is Yes, and it's an answer most relevant to those making discretionary trips to Hong Kong for tourism. There's a sense of tension and unease in the city, and all in, it's not a relaxing time for a vacation.

But as someone will no doubt remind us, a little bit of tear gas won't kill you.
Yea, the attempted assassination of a pro-establishment lawmaker this morning ups the ante yet again.
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I will be visiting Hong Kong next week. I'm not too worried about my personal safety. I feel there is more of a chance I will get shot in the US from a traffic stop than being hurt in the protests in Hong Kong. I do though want to be realistic about what I can expect to do while in Hong Kong.

1 - Will the popular bars in Central like The Old Man be open both during the week and on the weekend? I don't know if the night spots are closed early on the weekends due to the protests.

2 - Is the MTR still a good way to get to Hong Kong Disneyland?

3 - I am looking forward to a little shopping and a little bit of pampering. I am expecting the local shops and spas will be open. Is that true?

4 - Will traveling to Macao and Shenzhen be an issue? If it matters I am Chinese American (born in HK)
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:38 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Admiralty MTR is often one of the first to be closed when protests flare up on the island (along with CWB/Wan Chai and Central). When Admiralty closes, it can be quite annoying as it's the connection point for several lines, including the main MTR to Kowloon and the only MTR to South Island.

You can usually work around it, though.
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; Shangrila Jade; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889 View Post

I've had plenty of friends visit for leisure during these times and they found it an especially interesting time. It's nice to be in HK when it's less crowded and cheaper. And it's also interesting to many to visit during an important time in history. For some, the excitement and historical relevant of seeing a protest first hand is a pro. Like we established, there's not much to fear in terms of personal safety safe for some discomfort (crowds running, having to walk due to transit disruption, the tingle of tear gas in the air, etc).

Not to mention, it's also nice to support the economy and especially hospitality since it's the hardest hit industry by this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by happychic View Post
I will be visiting Hong Kong next week. I'm not too worried about my personal safety. I feel there is more of a chance I will get shot in the US from a traffic stop than being hurt in the protests in Hong Kong. I do though want to be realistic about what I can expect to do while in Hong Kong.

1 - Will the popular bars in Central like The Old Man be open both during the week and on the weekend? I don't know if the night spots are closed early on the weekends due to the protests.

3 - I am looking forward to a little shopping and a little bit of pampering. I am expecting the local shops and spas will be open. Is that true?

4 - Will traveling to Macao and Shenzhen be an issue? If it matters I am Chinese American (born in HK)
1/ Yes, the bars are mostly open as normal. The other day when Soho got tear gassed, the bars (e.g Quinery which was right on Hollywood Rd on the action) shut their windows but remained open. It might be a little quieter than usual.

2/ As long as Tung Chung line isn't shut down, yes. Try going on a weekday and you should be fine. Enjoy the lack of lines.

3/ Again, things close when there are protests or expected protests. Causeway Bay malls have had to shut down quite a few times when protests flare up there. Plan on shopping weekdays to minimize the likelihood of closures. Check the news and ask your hotel in the morning if there are any areas with expected protests, and go shop in a different neighborhood. There are malls everywhere and they shouldn't be shut down at the same time.

4/ Also no issues. Try not to have any pictures of the protests on your phone as you cross into Shenzhen though, they do do occasional searches.
Old Nov 7, 19, 3:26 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 5+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Thanks all for the answer. I have to think: I would be there for leisure, but this would be my fourth visit, so I am familiar with the various transport option plus know my way around a bit. That being said, I am also disabled and I could not run if necessary for example.
Macao might be an option, as I have never been there.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by happychic View Post

1. While there aren't any assurances, when I was last there about two weeks ago, weekdays appeared very normal with all business mostly unaffected. Though, I suspect weekends will be more fluid and dependent on a degree of uncertainty in the foreseeable future.

2. Yes. Had no issues making our way to Disneyland during the weekdays, again with the weekend caveat. As H had observed, one of the reasons for our visiting was the expectation and hope of avoiding the usual crowd and long lines. During our visit, the lines were indeed short and fast passes weren't even necessary. The two roller coasters, space mountain and the mining one, we rode about 5 times each in quick succession.

3. Again, during weekdays, everything seemed to operate normally. Matter of fact, I couldn't even tell there were or had been any civil unrest if I hadn't known about them before hand.

4. No. Just practice common sense (don't wear, say, "free HK" t-shirts) and don't have any protesting paraphernalia and, as an abundance of caution, don't carry a phone with potentially incendiary pro HK and/or anti PRC rhetoric, otherwise opt for a throw away or secondary one.

Not suggesting there isn't anything to worry about, but, even now, I don't feel any fear while in HK and fully intent on making my scheduled trips. I see it as an opportunity for discounted accommodations, less crowding and more negotiating leverage when dealing with Merchants.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Govt is The Grinch - 2020 CNY Flower Market set to be cancelled. Creating the crisis and perpetuating the state of crisis

【抗暴之戰】年宵明年1月舉行至今無詳情 傳激烈示威持續政府或「攬炒」取消

https://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.p...647&a=60219875
Seems Govt is really gonna shut down the CNY Flower Market ???????????????? ????????? | ????
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:20 pm

A reminder that protests and other events may break out anywhere in the urban area this weekend, sparked by the death of the HKUST student on Friday. Unlike previous protests, these are targeting the police directly, increasing the volatility and danger considerably. Police fired live rounds Friday night.

Crowds or police in gear mean vamoose, this weekend more than ever.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:31 pm

889 - Been away from HK, but will likely be there again in a couple of weeks. In your estimation, given the recent developments and potential escalation in hostilities, are weekdays generally still normal and relatively unaffected?
Old Nov 8, 19, 8:12 pm

There have been rumours of a strike this coming week. Just have to follow developments to see what happens.

Last night Friday was disturbing because there were early MTR closings at such relatively distant stations as Tung Chung and Sai Wan Ho, where trouble has been very rare.

It's the increased volatility that's the real concern. What would be the reaction under current conditions if another protester dies? To ask the question is to answer it.

EDIT: As to the week following, the question is whether the Government will cancel District Council elections, and if so, when. The general rule is announce good news early bad news late, but if cancellation is announced mid-week then mid-week there will be problems. The arrest today of several pro-democracy legislators over a fracas in Legco a few months ago will not help calm the situation.

Last edited by 889; Nov 9, 19 at 3:33 am

Search this Thread