Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:49 am
hmv

I will be visiting HK as of next Wednesday and right now planning a bit my sightseeing: How is the availability of the Tung Chung line and ferries to/from Macau to HK Island? Are they very impacted by all these protest?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
On weekdays, no problem. On weekends you need to watch for updates, but the Macau ferries have only been disrupted once, and the Tung Chung line is running normally most days until 10pm.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 889
Just assume you will not be able to use the MTR or buses and make alternate arrangements.

That is, after arriving at the HK ferry terminal take the Star Ferry across to TST and walk. Or better take a ferry from Macau to the China Ferry Terminal in TST and walk from there, if there are still sailings when you leave.

Taxis of course are a possibility, but they'll probably be reluctant to head into Mongkok if there are serious problems ongoing. Maybe you offer for him to take you just as close as he feels is safe.

Best might be follow the situation closely and if tensions increase at nightfall just stay in Macau or come back by an after-midnight ferry from Macau.

Another thought: while buses up Nathan Road are certainly not running, you might be able to take any bus going through the Cross-Harbour Tunnel, get off at the first stop after the tunnel, and walk from there.

Problems can be very local, as well. Before heading back you probably should call the front desk of your hotel and ask for advice on the current situation.

EDIT: In case there was any doubt where this was leading, service on the Tsuen Wan line is being suspended from Central to Lai King (according to SCMP, though it's not reflected yet on the MTR site).

At this moment, you may still be able to take the Tung Chung line from Hong Kong Station to Kowloon or Olympic. This may be your best bet.
Thanks very much. I took a 7:30 pm ferry from Macao, then the Star Ferry, and then walked to Mong Kok. Nathan Road looks like a war zone. Graffiti covers almost everything, all traffic lights are off for at least eight blocks (wires ripped out, etc.), multiple MTR station entrances obliterated, and a bunch of Bank of China branches and (allegedly) China-owned stores looted.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

Surprisingly after last night, MTR service today Monday will apparently operate as normal. However Yuen Long Station on the West Rail line will close at 2pm. This almost always signals an area that should be avoided, though Yuen Long is a suburban district that wouldn't normally attract foreign visitors anyway.

Except for Airport Express, service will end at 10pm.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by 889
However Yuen Long Station on the West Rail line will close at 2pm. This almost always signals an area that should be avoided, though Yuen Long is a suburban district that wouldn't normally attract foreign visitors anyway.
It's the 21st of the month. It's the 3-month anniversary of July 21.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:44 am

Yes, I'd forgotten.

Given that the MTR has pretty much closed off easy access to Yuen Long, it would not be surprising if problems develop elsewhere this evening, so if you're in Hong Kong, take local advice before heading out. Once again, the MTR may be a particular target.

Indeed, late this afternoon there seemed to be quite a few young people in black heading somewhere. An umbrella sticking out of a backpack was something of a give-away. (The Hong Kong Observatory is not forecasting rain.)
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I am currently planning to arrive HKG at 6am on Wednesday, 11/20 and fly out at noon Friday, 11/22, and I am staying at the IC Hong Kong in Kowloon. I realize it's very tough to predict whether my travel will be disrupted, but any one want to take a guess? My understanding is that protests have been happening on weekends, so I'm hoping that I'll be okay.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I am currently planning to arrive HKG at 6am on Wednesday, 11/20 and fly out at noon Friday, 11/22, and I am staying at the IC Hong Kong in Kowloon. I realize it's very tough to predict whether my travel will be disrupted, but any one want to take a guess? My understanding is that protests have been happening on weekends, so I'm hoping that I'll be okay.
You'll most likely encounter no problems at all. In the unlikely event you encounter any, they should be trivial to work around (i.e. take a different method of transport, or a different route).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Agreed - it's very unlikely that you will encounter any issues at all. Just proceed as normal.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:46 pm

The Financial Times is reporting today that Beijing will replace Carrie Lam, probably in March, perhaps with Norman Chan.

If true, this suggests that those planning trips to Hong Kong can assume there'll be no significant change in the next few months.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
The Financial Times is reporting today that Beijing will replace Carrie Lam, probably in March, perhaps with Norman Chan.

If true, this suggests that those planning trips to Hong Kong can assume there'll be no significant change in the next few months.
SCMP is reporting that China is strongly dismissing the FT report

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...lans-hong-kong
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by bobbytables
You'll most likely encounter no problems at all. In the unlikely event you encounter any, they should be trivial to work around (i.e. take a different method of transport, or a different route).
Originally Posted by christep
Agreed - it's very unlikely that you will encounter any issues at all. Just proceed as normal.
Thank you so much. I'm so excited to be in HK again.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: LX SEN, A3 Gold, BAEC Silver, HH Dia, CCarlson Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Good day,

I am visiting my HK distributor mid November and my plans - been there last December - foresee this:

- arriving on CX (hopefully on their A350-1000 in J ) at 10:50pm on a Wed
- 2 nights accommodation options reserved: Hilton Garden Inn Mongkok or Hyatt Centric Victoria Harbor (my distributor recommended to stay in area Tin Hau/HK Island)
- arrival plans : travelling with airport express train/MRT to Olympic station and walk to HGI Mongkok resp. switch airport express train/MRT at Central to North Point for Hyatt Centric (got 1 suitcase spinner)
- departing 2 days later on a Fri midnight on CX

Questions:

- Is there a train/MRT curfew for my late arrival (after customs clearence I expect to get out terminal by midnight) ?
- and if yes, how long is a taxi ride and how much would a taxi cost (in HKD or USD) to HGI Mongkok or Hyatt Centric and can I pay any taxi by credit card ?
- if Friday evening protests grounding MRT, how likely to catch a taxi back to HKG airport from both locationis?
- Any recommendation near both hotels for $-$$ affordable non-touristy/non-fancy yet delicious Bao/Dim Sum/homemade dry-noodles, any nearby $ "Asian Food Supermarket" plus affordable $ - $$ Nail salon (also for male) within MRT short ride reach ?

I'm not scared by all means but I also want a seemless short HK business trip and if protests occur on Fridays (I understand that during working week it's rather calm), I'd rather spend that evening doing HKG oneworld lounge hopping.

Thanks for your help&stay save!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

New Year's eve and New Year's celebration

Hi,

Looking at the current situation, it does not seem to look good for the coming celebrations for the New Year. I know most probably this is still too early, but I was wondering even if the situation improves and protests ends (hoping peacefully), do you think that they will still continue with the celebrations like previous years or will it be scaled down?

Need to plan alternatives if it's not worth it to stay over for the New Years.

Cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think there's >50% chance the New Years' fireworks will be cancelled. Govt's committed to being killjoy so long as the protests continue (track record: National Day Fireworks, Winefest, MTR "closures for maintenance" at night).

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 24, 2019 at 1:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.