Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by helvetic
(like do we really need the Island Line stopping at Ktown & HKU and unable to stop anywhere further until North Point?).
If it is possible to run, why not? Kennedy and HKU are interchange points for buses from the south/southwest (at least if the buses are running).

The notices do not say Central (Island line) is closed.

Also, it is not possible for Island line trains to reverse at North Point - they at least have to go past Causeway Bay before they can reverse, unless there is so much damage they can only run a barebones service with one unit on one track (that would have 30 min headways). While I do not know any details of MTR's contingency planning, possibly it is simpler just to run the regular service and skip stops, than to create an amended timetable.

With that in mind, I wonder if the journey time is much faster with the stop skipping, or whether the trains slow down/stop at the closed stations without opening doors?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:15 am

"A member of the government’s top advisory body has said the authorities would not rule out internet controls in order to curb the ongoing protests. . . .

"Ip Kwok-him, a member of the Executive Council, said during a Commercial Radio programme on Monday [today] that the government will observe whether the new law [banning masks] will halt the protests.

“'At this stage, the government will consider all legal means to stop the riots,' he said. 'We would not rule out a ban on the internet.'”

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/0...visor-ip-kwok/
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
"A member of the government’s top advisory body has said the authorities would not rule out internet controls in order to curb the ongoing protests. . . .

"Ip Kwok-him, a member of the Executive Council, said during a Commercial Radio programme on Monday [today] that the government will observe whether the new law [banning masks] will halt the protests.

“'At this stage, the government will consider all legal means to stop the riots,' he said. 'We would not rule out a ban on the internet.'”

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/0...visor-ip-kwok/
And NxxxVPN subscriptions from HK goes way up...
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:34 am

He didn't talk about banning just some sites. He talked about banning the internet. If you can't get internet service you can't use a VPN. It's a scorched earth approach.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
He didn't talk about banning just some sites. He talked about banning the internet. If you can't get internet service you can't use a VPN. It's a scorched earth approach.
If other FTers doesn't hear anything from us Hong Konger then you know the internet has been shut down in HK.

Better dig out that modem!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:27 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
How would banning "the internet" help? There's already tons of stories about people using P2P / bluetooth ad-hoc (?) networks that don't require cellular, or any such globabally connected capability, right?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:39 am

You still ultimately need a network connection somewhere. If the Government tells HKBN et al. to halt broadband service and PCCW et al. to halt mobile data service, your bluetooth connection isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Supposed to start a 2 1/2 week family trip (with 9 and 3 year old boys) with 9 of first 10 days in HKG on Dec 23rd (trip ends in SIN). May be an amazing time to go with less tourists - but also definitely time to start thinking about options too.

Challenge is having the outbound LAX - HKG. Harder to change the start of a trip last minute. There might be more last minute availability other places in Asia (we need 4 J savers), but I think our current plan b is still taking the flights no matter what and stay near Disney (and move on sooner) if things are not good. Or maybe plan c is taking the flights and buying an immediate connection somewhere else.

My only true sunk cost tied to HKG at this point is 4 tickets for the House of Dancing Water in Macau.
You have a very similar situation to ours, except that our trip stars in late November and unfortunately we're in Y the whole way. I am leaning towards taking our flights because cancelling them and getting a credit on AA doesn't seem worthwhile and if things on the ground don't change for the better by the beginning of November, we'll probably just use HKG as a connecting point and head to TPE instead.

Sadly, our sunk cost includes a non-refundable booking for a six night hotel stay
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I’m flying HEL-HKG next Thursday. My plan was to start my trip in Hong Kong and then Macau, and then work my way west to catch my BKK-HEL return flight. This will be my first time at HKG.

Obviously, the situation in Hong Kong is fluid, and things can change while I’m on the long HEL-HKG flight (possibly without internet).

If I want to land in HKG, then spend an hour or two in a lounge to re-evaluate the situation (preferably before clearing immigration), what are my options? Thanks very much.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pfofyen
In terms of travel insurance - and I will read the T&Cs / call them - are trips likely to be covered if it were booked today? Many insurers will state that you can't have a foreseeable reason that there could be a claim although notably the FCO have not stated that you shouldn't travel.

I wanted to use HKG as a bit of a hub to travel around Asia and I'd still like to - if the situation gets much worse in the city I will just stay in an airport hotel and move away, if things cool off I'll explore the city for a few days as originally planned.
Instead of spending several days in an airport hotel, wouldn't it be better to take the ferry from HKG airport directly to Macau for just a couple days?

It's too bad that the Kowloon airport express station is closed as you could use airport express train and their hotel shuttles to a well located hotel in Kowloon and then basically just walk to stuff to do on the Kowloon side. You wouldn't see all of Hong Kong this way, but it would be a way to avoid the hassles of closed MTR stations/lines and trying to get around by taxi.

Alternatively or you've scheduled more than one Hong Kong "layover" you might try a hotel within walking distance of the airport express central station and again focus on doing stuff within walking distance (including using the escalator as I haven't heard of it being closed due to protests).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Disneyland has not been the target of protests. In the absence of the MTR, the two ways to get there are taxi, or take any bus to the Lantau Toll Plaza bus interchange (this basically means any Exx or Axx bus (plus a few others) then the R8 bus from there to Disneyland.

https://www.hkemobility.gov.hk/index.php?golang=EN for all your public transport planning needs.

https://mobile.nwstbus.com.hk/nwp3/?...8&dsmode=1&l=1 for the R8 bus specifically.
Thanks for the information. I guess closing Sunny Bay and the DL train is just a precaution against a hypothetical protest. I was afraid that a bus would drop off at Sunny Bay, but the R8 goes all the way to the resort. It does seem like a risk at the end of the night. Even if the park is mostly empty, there should still be more than enough people competing for space on a bus when the park closes at 20:00. A visit to HKDL was my main motive in going back to HK, but I really want to try out one of the IC's, especially at US $150-200/night. Staying at a Disney hotel for HKD 1300 is tempting, but 3 nights would be excessive and boring. Plus, I really hate the thought of needing to change hotels on a 3 night visit.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I believe the occasional checks are when entering China from HK, not when entering or exiting HK. I do have friends who have been checked at the train to SZ, but it hasn't happened to me.
Well, given my last few tweets since last night, will clearly need a new throw away phone. Given the recent rumblings, roughly what odds would you guys speculate on the HK Gov't temporarily blacking out net access during the next couple of weeks?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:02 pm

A complete block on internet access would be extraordinary. I cannot imagine the reaction in HK and overseas.

I could more possibly see shutting down mobile data/phone in the evenings in certain areas. But even that has so many aspects to it that it's hard to consider it realistic.

Which is to say that it in the short run I don't think it is practically on the table. Not to say it is impossible, though.
wrp96 and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:46 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Instead of spending several days in an airport hotel, wouldn't it be better to take the ferry from HKG airport directly to Macau for just a couple days?

It's too bad that the Kowloon airport express station is closed as you could use airport express train and their hotel shuttles to a well located hotel in Kowloon and then basically just walk to stuff to do on the Kowloon side. You wouldn't see all of Hong Kong this way, but it would be a way to avoid the hassles of closed MTR stations/lines and trying to get around by taxi.

Alternatively or you've scheduled more than one Hong Kong "layover" you might try a hotel within walking distance of the airport express central station and again focus on doing stuff within walking distance (including using the escalator as I haven't heard of it being closed due to protests).
The escalators are not closed (nor have they been a target) due to protests, but they have been slowly upgrading them and so one of the stretches needs to be walked by foot. It was supposed to be finished mid-Sept but last time I was there it was still not re-opened. Once they finish that one, they'll be closing another stretch for a renovation.

Plenty of things to see on the island. If you go to the escalators, stop by Tai Kwun!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:05 am

On Friday night, a Guangzhou-bound through train was attacked at Fanling, with many windows on the train broken. Through train service to the Mainland has been suspended for now.

This attack, which wasn't reported in the main media till today Tuesday, is I believe the first time ordinary travellers in Hong Kong have been at risk from the disturbances, though there were no reports of injuries.

In any event, those travelling by rail to or from the Mainland should now certainly use HSR, which travels underground to Shenzhen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.