Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Train service arrangements on 7 October

This message issued : 2019-10-07 05:00

MTR train service is maintained at some of the railway lines. Due to serious vandalism, most of the stations in the network are temporarily closed. Service hour of the entire network will be adjusted and ended at 6 pm to allow more time for repair.

Tsuen Wan Line service is suspended;

Kwun Tong Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Whampoa, Ho Man Tin, Yau Ma Tei, Mong Kok, Prince Edward, Lok Fu, Wong Tai Sin, Kowloon Bay, Ngau Tau Kok, Kwun Tong and Tiu Keng Leng stations are closed;

Island Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan, Admiralty, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, Tin Hau and Fortress Hill stations are closed;

South Island Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Admiralty Station is closed;

Tseung Kwan O Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Tiu Keng Leng, Tseung Kwan O, Hang Hau, Po Lam and LOHAS Park stations are closed;

Tung Chung Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Sunny Bay and Tung Chung stations are closed;

Disneyland Resort Line service is suspended;

East Rail Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, Tai Wai, Sha Tin, Tai Po Market, Fanling and Sheung Shui stations are closed;

West Rail Line trains are running at 8 minutes intervals, East Tsim Sha Tsui, Tsuen Wan West, Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai and Tuen Mun stations are closed;

Ma On Shan Line service is suspended.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:22 pm

Just to add the separate notice about the Airport Express today, Monday (a holiday in HK):

Airport Express Service Arrangement (7 October)

This message issued : 2019-10-07 05:05

Airport Express will be running between Hong Kong, Kowloon and Tsing Yi stations from the start of service (non stop at AsiaWorld-Expo Station).

As requested by the Hong Kong Government and Airport Authority, staring from 1pm, Airport Express will be running between Airport and Hong Kong stations only. Trains will not stop at Kowloon, Tsing Yi and AsiaWorld-Expo stations.

MTR staff and Airport Authority staff will check flight tickets and travel documents in Hong Kong Station. Please allow more time for travel.

In-town Check-in service will be suspended at Kowloon Station for the whole day. In-town Check-in service at Hong Kong Station will remain normal and please allow 90 minutes ahead of the scheduled flight time for the check in service.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
Just to add the separate notice about the Airport Express today, Monday (a holiday in HK):

Airport Express Service Arrangement (7 October)

This message issued : 2019-10-07 05:05

Airport Express will be running between Hong Kong, Kowloon and Tsing Yi stations from the start of service (non stop at AsiaWorld-Expo Station).

As requested by the Hong Kong Government and Airport Authority, staring from 1pm, Airport Express will be running between Airport and Hong Kong stations only. Trains will not stop at Kowloon, Tsing Yi and AsiaWorld-Expo stations.

MTR staff and Airport Authority staff will check flight tickets and travel documents in Hong Kong Station. Please allow more time for travel.

In-town Check-in service will be suspended at Kowloon Station for the whole day. In-town Check-in service at Hong Kong Station will remain normal and please allow 90 minutes ahead of the scheduled flight time for the check in service.
I'll be on the airport express tonight as I return from a week-end trip. Hopefully no issues 🙃

The MTR's ability to repair everything overnight and get most stations back up and running by the next morning has always impressed me. The fact they can't keep up anymore is worrying me, and is probably the first major impact of the protests for visitors. Getting around without MTR is easy enough with taxis, but nonetheless frustrating and a big thing to have to plan around.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Realizing the situation is very fluid, I have plans to spend NYE in Hong Kong this year. We are beginning a two and a half week trip in Vietnam and ending in HK. Should I start considering other options or is it still too soon to tell?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by channonc
Realizing the situation is very fluid, I have plans to spend NYE in Hong Kong this year. We are beginning a two and a half week trip in Vietnam and ending in HK. Should I start considering other options or is it still too soon to tell?
Make plans to visit but have a plan B,C. We have no idea how things will be in Dec, 2019.

Do not make any financial commitment for any booking. It is tempting as there are many very cheap prepaid rates for accommodations right now as tour operators have made commitments for large blocks of rooms in 2019
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Thank you both very much. Very good insights and very useful information that I can act on with confidence. So Plan A will be the bus over bridge, and B4 shuttle to the hk port immediately after arrival and food at airport if hungry. If updated news indicate the possibility of a Sunday morning protect at the airport, or if plane arrives late, switch to Plan B ferry.

One more question: Do the shuttle/bus allow a larger (than carry on size) bag?
Yes, as these buses cater to the cross border shoppers.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'll be on the airport express tonight as I return from a week-end trip. Hopefully no issues 🙃

The MTR's ability to repair everything overnight and get most stations back up and running by the next morning has always impressed me. The fact they can't keep up anymore is worrying me, and is probably the first major impact of the protests for visitors. Getting around without MTR is easy enough with taxis, but nonetheless frustrating and a big thing to have to plan around.
Given that many parts of the network haven't seen any protest activity at all and yet the entire network was suspended for all of Saturday, I think it has less to do with them no longer being able to keep up with repairs and perhaps more to do with political pressure, in order to try to turn public opinion against protestors by creating more visible impacts which can be blamed on protests.
dannyhk, wrp96 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:53 pm

By the way, any instances or reports of HK customs & immigration checking phones?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
By the way, any instances or reports of HK customs & immigration checking phones?
There were a few reports of phones being checked for protest photos/footage at the land border. I didn't hear of it happening at the airport. I've been in and out 20-30 times in the last couple of months via various borders and when I was unable to use the automated machines I only experienced the usual no-questions-asked formalities, but as usual YMMV, mostly based on your nationality and their judgement of your appearance.
wrp96 and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by tentseller
Make plans to visit but have a plan B,C. We have no idea how things will be in Dec, 2019.

Do not make any financial commitment for any booking. It is tempting as there are many very cheap prepaid rates for accommodations right now as tour operators have made commitments for large blocks of rooms in 2019
Supposed to start a 2 1/2 week family trip (with 9 and 3 year old boys) with 9 of first 10 days in HKG on Dec 23rd (trip ends in SIN). May be an amazing time to go with less tourists - but also definitely time to start thinking about options too.

Challenge is having the outbound LAX - HKG. Harder to change the start of a trip last minute. There might be more last minute availability other places in Asia (we need 4 J savers), but I think our current plan b is still taking the flights no matter what and stay near Disney (and move on sooner) if things are not good. Or maybe plan c is taking the flights and buying an immediate connection somewhere else.

My only true sunk cost tied to HKG at this point is 4 tickets for the House of Dancing Water in Macau.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Given that many parts of the network haven't seen any protest activity at all and yet the entire network was suspended for all of Saturday, I think it has less to do with them no longer being able to keep up with repairs and perhaps more to do with political pressure, in order to try to turn public opinion against protestors by creating more visible impacts which can be blamed on protests.
One can think whatever they want to think but the fact is that they are out of replacement parts. Many of the stations ground level access has suffered so much vandalism that they are unsafe without major work. Until you are on the ground and witness the destruction yourself it is easy to do Monday morning QB
Looking at the station closure map they are all over the place and every line has been affected. I ask you to look at the maps and suggest how to run any kind of service.
When you look at the amount of destruction and vandalism at so many station over so many week...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
Supposed to start a 2 1/2 week family trip (with 9 and 3 year old boys) with 9 of first 10 days in HKG on Dec 23rd (trip ends in SIN). May be an amazing time to go with less tourists - but also definitely time to start thinking about options too.

Challenge is having the outbound LAX - HKG. Harder to change the start of a trip last minute. There might be more last minute availability other places in Asia (we need 4 J savers), but I think our current plan b is still taking the flights no matter what and stay near Disney (and move on sooner) if things are not good. Or maybe plan c is taking the flights and buying an immediate connection somewhere else.

My only true sunk cost tied to HKG at this point is 4 tickets for the House of Dancing Water in Macau.
I would definitely keep the LAX-HKG. Close to departure if you decide you don't want to come into HK city, you can simply buy flights somewhere else and connect at HKG. Bear in mind you can also go to Macau by ferry from the airport without entering HK.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
One can think whatever they want to think but the fact is that they are out of replacement parts. Many of the stations ground level access has suffered so much vandalism that they are unsafe without major work. Until you are on the ground and witness the destruction yourself it is easy to do Monday morning QB
Looking at the station closure map they are all over the place and every line has been affected. I ask you to look at the maps and suggest how to run any kind of service.
When you look at the amount of destruction and vandalism at so many station over so many week...
Many stations, including entire runs of stations along some lines, have not seen a single incident of vandalism yet. Note that I didn't say there are no issues. This is veering further off-topic though, and I apologise for starting it on that course. Probably better to shift this particular thread of discussion to omni.
dannyhk likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate, it could also be that with major stations closed, there not a ton of reason to run trains between a couple unaffected minor stations (like do we really need the Island Line stopping at Ktown & HKU and unable to stop anywhere further until North Point?).
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:57 am

There were a few reports of phones being checked for protest photos/footage at the land border. I didn't hear of it happening at the airport. I've been in and out 20-30 times in the last couple of months via various borders and when I was unable to use the automated machines I only experienced the usual no-questions-asked formalities, but as usual YMMV, mostly based on your nationality and their judgement of your appearance.
I believe the occasional checks are when entering China from HK, not when entering or exiting HK. I do have friends who have been checked at the train to SZ, but it hasn't happened to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.