Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Disruptions to HKIA

where did you get that information about disrupting routes to the airport? I fly out from HK on Saturday at noon and would like to keep updated. Thanks!
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
All persons travelling to and from Hong Kong on Sunday - IMPORTANT

Protesters are planning to return to the airport on Sunday. If you have a flight booked for 1 September, consider changing your flights now while there are still some spaces left.

Reddit Hong Kong... although it was threatened this past weekend, no action was taken at HKIA

Last edited by Eagle2000; Aug 26, 2019 at 4:21 pm Reason: add info
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by eagle215
All persons travelling to and from Hong Kong on Sunday - IMPORTANT

Protesters are planning to return to the airport on Sunday. If you have a flight booked for 1 September, consider changing your flights now while there are still some spaces left.

Reddit Hong Kong... although it was threatened this past weekend, no action was taken at HKIA
Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
There is protest called for on 1 Sep https://www.hk01.com/社會新聞/367909/逃犯條...32879;辦

But as said there were protests called for in airport last week too, which did not eventuate.

Organisation of the protests are decentralised. Some get Govt approval (failure to disappeove) and you can reasonably extrapolate a march from those locations. Others are organised on the go. But no failure to disapprove can be granted for airport or MTR stations now.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
arghhh. i am flying out 2 sundays from now.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
There is protest called for on 1 Sep https://www.hk01.com/社會新聞/367909/逃犯條...32879;辦

But as said there were protests called for in airport last week too, which did not eventuate.

Organisation of the protests are decentralised. Some get Govt approval (failure to disappeove) and you can reasonably extrapolate a march from those locations. Others are organised on the go. But no failure to disapprove can be granted for airport or MTR stations now.

Just my gut feeling but I can't see it happening because of how far away the airport is and The government will shut down the MTR stations to there....I only say this because if riot police get there, protesters may not have any way to escape.

[Moderator edit of text appropriate for FlyerTalk's OMNI forum but not for this travel forum.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 26, 2019 at 9:56 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:59 pm

Hi all, following because I'm due to fly to HKG overnight Sunday, landing Monday night on QR. Is there any update/educated guess on how likely the HKIA protests are to happen, and how likely they are to affect travel? QR have already advised that changing flights isn't likely to be an option unless the airport is actually closed/flights are cancelled (or rather, not unless I stump up another Ł1k which I don't have!).

Sorry for asking the questions that have probably been asked twenty million times already, but I'm having trouble sorting the actual info from the invitable panic talk (brain wiring...). I realise a certain amount of this is wait-and-see but as my final destination is Japan and there's multiple tickets involved (HKG-KIX is on CX with Avios Tuesday morning), it would help to at least get a realistic idea of what contingency plans I should get in place, which I know I'll get here

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by mangochutney; Aug 27, 2019 at 4:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by mangochutney
Hi all, following because I'm due to fly to HKG overnight Sunday, landing Monday night on QR. Is there any update/educated guess on how likely the HKIA protests are to happen, and how likely they are to affect travel? QR have already advised that changing flights isn't likely to be an option unless the airport is actually closed/flights are cancelled (or rather, not unless I stump up another Ł1k which I don't have!).

Sorry for asking the questions that have probably been asked twenty million times already, but I'm having trouble sorting the actual info from the invitable panic talk (brain wiring...). I realise a certain amount of this is wait-and-see but as my final destination is Japan and there's multiple tickets involved (HKG-KIX is on CX with Avios Tuesday morning), it would help to at least get a realistic idea of what contingency plans I should get in place, which I know I'll get here

Thanks in advance...
I think with the recent court order there has been no obvious demonstration at the airport that you should be able to arrive OK. In my opinion stick with the train if you are getting out from air side and have your ticket / boarding pass in paper / electronic way readily available.

Last week when the protester took over the airport the flight are still arriving / leaving with a fake "Cancellation", at least with Cathay
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I think airport protests from now on are extremely unlikely.

The beefed up security at the airport won't allow protesters into the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:02 pm

But the airport's links with the rest of Hong Kong are pretty vulnerable
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:21 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
But the airport's links with the rest of Hong Kong are pretty vulnerable
It's possible they'd attack the Airport Express but I still think it's unlikely, and I do believe they have security measures in place to prevent that. They could fairly easily set up a check enforcing flight bookings to even get into the stations. They could also close and bypass Tsing Yi with little disruption as most passengers are going to Kowloon/HK stations.

I also believe that most protesters have realized that the airport occupation noticeably shifted public opinion against the movement and is generally counterproductive, so I don't think there's a ton of support for another attempt at it.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 9:44 pm

Crowds can block the highway and the entrances to the Airport Express Station without that much difficulty. MTR seems more willing now to just shut down if problems are on the horizon.

Given that nobody would have predicted six weeks ago some of the developments we've seen, I think it's unwise to rule out anything the future may bring. We really have no idea.
kevincrumbs, SJOGuy and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Read from the news that protesters are going to ‘stress test’ the transport system going in and out of the airport. Did not mention when, probably this weekend.

why do they always want to target the airport? Didn’t they learned from the last time that it will just backfire on them?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by boybi
Read from the news that protesters are going to ‘stress test’ the transport system going in and out of the airport. Did not mention when, probably this weekend.

why do they always want to target the airport? Didn’t they learned from the last time that it will just backfire on them?
Stress test is supposed to happen on Sunday and Monday if it materializes.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Airport Makes Contingency Plans for Potential Blockage on 1 Sep; Not Bar All Flights Cancellation
http://www.aastocks.com/en/stocks/ne...77/latest-news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.