Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: garykung
Wiki Link
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 15, 19, 6:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Airport express down to 20 min frequencies to HKG, ITCI now 120 min cutoff

Airport express down to 20 min frequencies to HKG, ITCI now 120 min cutoff (http://cablenews.i-cable.com/ci/videopage/news/554977)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 15, 19 at 9:39 pm
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:59 pm

ok. Guess I might have over-reacted a bit.

You know, for 5 consecutive early Springs, we visited HK for Art Basel. Whether it was RC or the Pen on the Kowloon side or the Four Seasons and MOs across, we have always enjoyed our stay.

Getting there & leaving you have the fabulous CX 773, with max 6 passengers in the cabin, seemingly endless refills of Krug. And in my memory the widest seat in commercial flights.
In transit you have the Wing, the Pier, the QF - world class lounges....

Just lots of lyrical memories.

My youngest niece is there now. She's usually vivacious, fearless, free-spirited in HK during previous visits.

But this time she and her friends just hide in the Club Lounge, Tin Lung Heen or the Tuscany restaurant. Well, night time at least there is always Ozone upstairs. Unfortunately, the views become non-existent when it gets foggy. I know, first world issues...better stop indulging here.

I just hope a peaceful resolution arrives really soon.

Last edited by kinofdc; Aug 16, 19 at 12:18 am
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
News in the USA is saying that stuff is already starting to build up for this weekend despite a permit for a big parade having been declined.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
News in the USA is saying that stuff is already starting to build up for this weekend despite a permit for a big parade having been declined.
There was a rally tonight of thousands of students that was quite peaceful. The march organizers for the Hung Hom have won their appeal for Saturday's march with some modifications so that will not be an illegal protest. Of course there are still several other protests that are not approved, so it is a mixed bag.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
As I post this, it's (very early) on Saturday morning in Hong Kong. How are things at the airport & in downtown CBD? Do we have any FT'ers there right now?
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:15 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
A major pruning of this thread has been necessary to bring it back on topic. This has involved the removal of 133 posts, many of which belonged in OMNI.

Please appreciate that the only way to do this was to take a very broad brush approach, so full deletion rather than editing. It is therefore possible that a few posts which contained some on-topic content amongst the off-topic have been removed. If you believe this was the case with your post, please feel free to re-post if the information is still relevant.

Going forward, let’s please stick to raising relevant points about the impact of the protests on travel. This does not include discussions about the reasons behind them - for those with sufficient membership length/posts, please take that to OMNI/PR.

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 17, 19, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
As I post this, it's (very early) on Saturday morning in Hong Kong. How are things at the airport & in downtown CBD? Do we have any FT'ers there right now?
Everything is normal, as it is 99% of the time in 99% of Hong Kong. The only excitement around Central/SoHo currently is hordes of Aussies and Kiwis getting beered up for the Bledisloe Cup match at various bars.
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:56 pm

From a local's perspective, the protests force an occasional work-at-home day, but so far everything has been business as usual. There seem to be less mainland tourists, so the crowded areas tend to be more manageable now. The violence and tear gas tend to start flying off at night, and there is usually a decent period of time before the raids come for tourists to escape. Avoid hanging around police stations as they are the main target of protesters, accusing the police for brutality and using excessive force.

I do think visiting one of these peaceful rallies/protests or reading through one of the many Lennon Walls around the city would be an interesting highlight for a tourist.

Do leave some time for your flight out though, in light of increased security measures for departures these days.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 0.8MM; PPL
How much extra time are the security checks taking?

I have a Monday flight departing HKG next week at 3:20 PM. Normally I wouldn't need to be at the Airport Express station on the island any earlier than 1 PM, but I heard lines to just get into the check-in area can take an hour now.
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:36 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver
Do they still try to block the doors of MTR trains?
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:07 am

Given the way problems come and go, it's probably best to check MTR Update on Twitter right before you travel.

https:/www.twitter.com/mtrupdate
Old Aug 19, 19, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by boybi View Post
Do they still try to block the doors of MTR trains?
That was a form of protest that occured on two occasions. It was never a general thing.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:04 pm

Hi everybody,
Just wondering what the current HK situation is to visit Vic Peak, Nathan Rd and Ladies Market? We will be spending a day layover in the next few days.
Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Airport express down to 20 min frequencies to HKG, ITCI now 120 min cutoff (?????????20????)
Addendum: "Service between Hong Kong and AsiaWorld-Expo would be running at 10-minute intervals from 07:30 am to 09:00 am.". Other arrangements unchanged.
Old Aug 20, 19, 12:45 am

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
Hi everybody,
Just wondering what the current HK situation is to visit Vic Peak, Nathan Rd and Ladies Market? We will be spending a day layover in the next few days.
Thank you.
Victoria Peak will be all clear and OK to visit 7 days a week.

Nathan Road and Ladies Market should be fine during weekdays, but starting Fri night to Sun night, best to check latest updates to see if there are any demonstrations in the area. Unfortunately, really cannot say for sure until the day of.

Search this Thread