Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes - the airport is open in the sense that planes can fly in and out. The issue is that no-one currently in HK can access flight departures. So flights out are either empty (to keep planes in the right position) or carrying only transit passengers.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:35 am

That suggests heading in to HKIA by ferry from Macau or Shenzhen (if you have a visa etc) may be an option, if the ferries are still running and seats are available.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
According to flightradar24 currently mostly CX planes are en-route to HKG. A few other airlines are en-route, too. I can see AY99 from Helsinki, EK380 from Dubai, SQ2 from Singapore, QF117 from Sydney. A lot of the European carries have not yet left for today but I checked LH and both fligths from FRA and MUC are still scheduled as planned. Same for out-bound flights. A lot of CX but other carriers, too. I see UA 862 to SFO, AC2008 to YYR, SQ865 to SIN. So the airport seems to operate and it really depends on the individual airline if they fly to or out of HKG.
HK Airlines 61 from SFO landed at HKG today, as it did yesterday, just a little late. I know because I'm watching it since I'll be flying through there to BKK in three weeks. The flight I'll be on HKG-BKK showed as "canceled" briefly (flight 779), but now it's tracking as having left, 90 min. late, on its way to BKK. So yes, some flights are getting out, even late at night.

Last edited by preahkaew; Aug 13, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by preahkaew
I know because I'm watching it since I'll be flying through there to BKK in three weeks.
Three weeks? No one even knows what's going to happen this coming weekend. I'd be more concerned about HX going bust than I would the protests, especially since you are only in transit.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:44 am

Police have stormed the airport, late Tuesday night.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 889
Police have stormed the airport, late Tuesday night.
You're a couple of hours behind here...
And it wasn't quite that extreme - they were just trying to extract the alleged Chinese mainland undercover police officer who had been rumbled.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by preahkaew
HK Airlines 61 from SFO landed at HKG today, as it did yesterday, just a little late. I know because I'm watching it since I'll be flying through there to BKK in three weeks. The flight I'll be on HKG-BKK showed as "canceled" briefly (flight 779), but now it's tracking as having left, 90 min. late, on its way to BKK. So yes, some flights are getting out, even late at night.
3 weeks is a long time - a lot of things can happen. If you are worried too much you might consider change your route.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:04 pm

I simply reported the RTHK English tweet:

"Police storm airport as protesters hold suspects."

Let RTHK know if you have a problem with that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rthk_enews?lang=en
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Fair enough, but I was watching their live feed on Channel 32.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by christep
Yes - the airport is open in the sense that planes can fly in and out. The issue is that no-one currently in HK can access flight departures. So flights out are either empty (to keep planes in the right position) or carrying only transit passengers.
I watched the live feed for a bit last night around 8pm HKG time and saw plenty of people accessing departures. It seemed the protesters weren't really resisting people who wanted to pass their line. A bit of shouting and chanting now and then as someone passed but no hands on.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Court issued injunction

Court orders protesters to be removed from airport after police clashes

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3022668/riot-police-protesters-clash-unprecedented-violence-hong

​​Just sharing news, nothing suggested aside from reading it.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I watched the live feed for a bit last night around 8pm HKG time and saw plenty of people accessing departures. It seemed the protesters weren't really resisting people who wanted to pass their line. A bit of shouting and chanting now and then as someone passed but no hands on.
I think you both are right. I saw people getting through departures but I have also seen situations where protesters put their hands on travelers and prevented them going to their flights albeit I only saw one incident of this, but one incident is one too many. I also saw protesters moving barricades so travelers could get through. What it seems to boil down to is that not all protesters are the same.A minority of them are quite militant but by and large the others just sit around and chant.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tentseller
Court orders protesters to be removed from airport after police clashes

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-violence-hong

​​Just sharing news, nothing suggested aside from reading it.
Yes I saw this. I'm wondering if they will only allow ticketed passengers into the terminals going forward. I have been in other countries where they pushed their security checkpoints out to the front of the terminals due to attacks, so it seems like something like that might squelch large protests inside the airport.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:59 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
As a related point, why doesn't the government and police institute checks along the airport approach road and/or AEX and prevent anyone carryign protest-related materials from even getting close to the airport and causing disruption?
It is practically a state of emergency now, isn't it?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Are any flights to the US cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.