Reload this Page >

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
A new thread/Wiki has been created to help FTers navigating Hong Kong during the civil unrest:

Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)

Please refer to the thread as necessary.
Print Wikipost

Impacts of demonstrations on travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:39 am

From SCMP:

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I assume that it's best not to get on my flight to Hong Kong in about an hour? (unless I wish to be stranded in Hong Kong because my connecting flight will not be operating?)
I don't even know that they will even let you board a flight to Hong Kong at this point, since it hasn't taken off yet. Maybe they will reroute you.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I assume that it's best not to get on my flight to Hong Kong in about an hour? (unless I wish to be stranded in Hong Kong because my connecting flight will not be operating?)
What you should do is if you don't have a place to stay, find a hotel quick.

It is going to be more chaotic before too late...
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Red259
I don't even know that they will even let you board a flight to Hong Kong at this point, since it hasn't taken off yet. Maybe they will reroute you.
door just closed and we are pushing back.... gotta turn my phone off now...

anybody with advice, please post.... I'll check when the inflight wifi is turned on... THANKS!!!!!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:00 am

I read the message as saying all inbound flights cancelled except those enroute. Of course an individual airline might re-route, but I wouldn't expect that. See what the HKIA website shows for your flights.

(Sorry for earlier suggesting you tough it out. Never would have thought the entire airport would suddenly brake to a halt like this, for who knows how long. Security concerns? Protesters airside, maybe on the Tarmac even?)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by 889
I read the message as saying all inbound flights cancelled except those enroute. Of course an individual airline might re-route, but I wouldn't expect that. See what the HKIA website shows for your flights.

(Sorry for earlier suggesting you tough it out. Never would have thought the entire airport would suddenly brake to a halt like this, for who knows how long. Security concerns? Protesters airside, maybe on the Tarmac even?)
my flight started pushback... stopped... and pilot said flight cancelled due to Hong Kong being closed

Looks like I"m not going to LHR tonight.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Looks like I"m not going to LHR tonight.
Find a hotel now before too late.

BA is definitely not paying for it.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If you have a high fare ticket and/or status then see if the airline will reroute you to LHR some other way. Where are you, and which airline is your first flight on, and is the connection to LHR all on the same ticket?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
If you have a high fare ticket and/or status then see if the airline will reroute you to LHR some other way. Where are you, and which airline is your first flight on, and is the connection to LHR all on the same ticket?
Vangrovsky was supposed to fly BA HKG-LHR (I know that because Vangrovsky crossed post).

But seriously, now even the airlines are willing, where could you really go...MFM? SZN? CAN?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, but where is he starting from? (i.e. where is he stuck now?) The airline might route him <xxx>-SIN-LHR, for example.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Yes, but where is he starting from? (i.e. where is he stuck now?) The airline might route him <xxx>-SIN-LHR, for example.
He is at the center of the mess now - HKG. His flight was cancelled after taxi but before take-off.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: CX Gold
Suppose he could take the ferry to Macau then arrange his flights from there?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boybi
Suppose he could take the ferry to Macau then arrange his flights from there?
First, I doubt BA is going to rebook to another city, given the massive extent of the impact.

Second, even regardless who pays for the extra segment, it is simply impossible to leave for LHR tonight based on the remainder of MFM flights.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by garykung
He is at the center of the mess now - HKG. His flight was cancelled after taxi but before take-off.
HKG-LHR? CX253 left at 1600 and BA32/28/CX251 and everything after that's been cancelled.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
LH has already canceled its fights from FRA and MUC to HKG today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.