Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Any transportation use CC from HKG Ferry to nearby hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I know Uber is one solution, but are there any taxis or like transportation that come to the Hong König Macau Ferry Terminal that would take a credit card?

If Uber is the only sure solution, is there Wifi in an area (after arrival at this terminal) where one would wait for an Uber vehicle?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You have an allergy to cash? If you have spent any time in Macau you are likely to have some HK$

No, not that I know of. Uber exists here but it is illegal, so caveat emptor.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I lose every time I convert cash so I prefer to use CC even and worry about fees later.

After starting this thread, I saw a post that had I booked the ferry to HKG airport I could have used the Airport Express for free to get to the Courtyard Hong Kong. However, that approach would certainly be messy with going through SkyPier and airport immigration.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

You can only get the ferry to SkyPier to connect to a flight (you have to have a boarding pass from one of a specific list of airlines). It deposits you in the departures area. So I think you have misunderstood that.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended

Even Uber might be tricky for such a short distance. Basically you need about $35-40 of HK$ to get a cab.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Okay. I can cover that kind of fee.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Or you could walk to Hong Kong Station and then get the free shuttle bus H2 to the hotel (in principle you should have taken the Airport Express, but they never check). But that would take longer than just walking to the hotel.

However, at current temperatures I wouldn't fancy the walk even to HK Station, never mind to the hotel, and certainly not with luggage.

The answer is cash for a cab. You should have picked up some HK$ in Macau.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I have a small amount of HKD from a previous visit, but was just trying to cover myself on Tuesday when I will be returning from mainland China and needing to get to the Marriott at the HKG airport.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

I believe the Marriott Sky City has a free shuttle from the airport (but I guess you should confirm that with them).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Yes they do; that much I know. What is unknown is where my sponsor will leave me in HKG once we return from China.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
you can get a taxi with an app called "HKTaxi" and pay by credit card thru the app (+3% surcharge)

or if you end up at west kowloon HSR station you can buy an octopus with a credit card and refund it at the airport

or if you end up at a touristy mtr station there might be ticket machines that accept Alipay which you can link your credit card to

but that's so much effort to avoid cash lol
Xeno likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fishball
you can get a taxi with an app called "HKTaxi" and pay by credit card thru the app (+3% surcharge)

or if you end up at west kowloon HSR station you can buy an octopus with a credit card and refund it at the airport

or if you end up at a touristy mtr station there might be ticket machines that accept Alipay which you can link your credit card to

but that's so much effort to avoid cash lol
Thank you.

I am downloading the HK Taxi app as that would be my first choice. I will face the same kind of thing from my Sunday afternoon destination then from my hotel to the West Kowloon Station Monday morning. And again, a like scenario may develop based on where my sponsor dumps me the next day coming in from China.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Fudge, the app rejects my mobile number with or without the USA code (1). I cannot find a help file so what is the trick for opening a new account with a USA mobile number?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
99.9% sure it works with HK phone numbers only. Their official website has a "contact us" form. Use google translate.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I fear this must be the case. I did send an email using the “feedback” form but no response up to this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.