Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

What to do at HKG at 4 am

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Hi guys my apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

I'm arriving at HKG off the KTM-HKG KA flight in J scheduled to be in at 4:30 am but most likely will get in early. I have a 13 hour layover so I would love to hit the city. My issue is arrivals lounge is closed. Luggage storage is closed. Airport express is closed. So what are we supposed to do? Sit around arrivals?

I wanted to maybe go airside and get a bite to eat but from reading other threads it seems going back to arrivals is a hassle if not against the rules in general.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: CX Silver
There are night buses that go from HKG to the city with different routes, although service might only come once an hour or even less.
Other than that I doubt that there would be a lot to do in HKG as a lot of shops, barring the convenience stores, would be closed in this hour.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It says here that the Plaza Premium landside lounge is open 24 hours;

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...premium-lounge

Regards

TBS
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Take bus N11 to Hong Kong station, departure 0450, watch sunrise on the bus, arrives around 0600 when the luggage storage facility will open. If you need to recheck your luggage, you can do so at HK station if you buy an airport express ticket (best price on klook.com)

If you don't have an octopus card you will need to get some cash from an ATM then buy something at 7-11 or one of the restaurants to get exact change for the bus.

Then go for a walk before it gets too hot.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Some local morning dim sum joints are open around 6am... can try 蓮香 (Lin Heung) in Central...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
depending on when your travel is, Peak tram is closed for 2-3 mths from late Apr. so check before you go if thats on your agenda. you can take Mini buses from Hongkong Station though. on the way back catch ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui walk around shopping centers there and get a foot massage, head over to Elements mall amd.catch airport express back to airport.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by :D!
Take bus N11 to Hong Kong station, departure 0450, watch sunrise on the bus, arrives around 0600 when the luggage storage facility will open. If you need to recheck your luggage, you can do so at HK station if you buy an airport express ticket (best price on klook.com)

If you don't have an octopus card you will need to get some cash from an ATM then buy something at 7-11 or one of the restaurants to get exact change for the bus.

Then go for a walk before it gets too hot.
First departure on the Airport Express train from Airport to the City is at 05:54.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Yeah my biggest concern is leaving my bags somewhere, I know at least some Cha Chaan Tengs (Tsui Wah) are 24h. Anyone know if the #1 Minibus runs overnight to the peak?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by noahsilv
Thanks for the help. Yeah my biggest concern is leaving my bags somewhere, I know at least some Cha Chaan Tengs (Tsui Wah) are 24h. Anyone know if the #1 Minibus runs overnight to the peak?
Dont believe so based on below website. Light bus #1 is from HKS, so you need to go from HKIA to HK station.

Source:
Hong Kong Island GMB Route 1 | www.16seats.net

Recently got in HKG too early as well at 4:50 (Thanks CX) and decided to take a short breakfast at the airport with Tai Hing at the airport, pretty much the same as Tsui Wah.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:05 pm

The baggage storage facility on Level 3 of Terminal 2 opens at 5:30am. You arrival, you walk along long corridors and go through immigration. You wait for your bags, pass through customs and go across to T2. You should be here by the time it opens. Next you hop on the first train to the city, where you watch the city waking up by taking an early ferry (starts 6:30am) to Kowloon where you across the road over to the Peninsula and enjoy the breakfast buffet (7:00am) at The Verandah...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: MPC, AM, Aeroplan
Which airline is your next flight? If it's Cathay, you can possibly check your bags at the airport at the check in counters on departure level and head to the city straight after. If it's another airline, in-town check in opens at 5:30am at Hong Kong station. Baggage storage in T2 at the airport opens at 5:30am also. You can probably grab a bite at the airport first and wait for baggage storage to open. McDonalds and Cafe de Coral on the departure level is opened 24 hours, and there's also a ramen place that opens for 24 hours at arrivals level.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Next flight is the AA to Dallas at 2 ish pm. I guess I could just check in my carry on at hkg. I'm not checking it at KTM since things can get stolen from bags there.

Lol @ peninsula buffet breakfast isn't that like 500hkd. Any Cha Chaan Teng will hold me over till the pier.

Also have frequent visitor on my passport so immigration will take ten seconds. Maybe I'll just get a bite at the Plaza premium
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Stay on the Lantau island. Take np360 cable car to the big buddha.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:30 am

Lol @ peninsula buffet breakfast isn't that like 500hkd.
You exaggerate. It's "only" HK$390... unless you add in the free-flow drinks package.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Poster

I'll take a Bo lo bao and coffee for $40hkd lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.