FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   21 Hour layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1966625-21-hour-layover.html)

Eagle2000 Apr 23, 2019 11:01 am

21 Hour layover

HI All:

First post here and have really enjoyed the information posted on this forum.

I have a 21 hour layover/connecting Cathay flight, landing in Hong Kong at 8 PM and leaving the next day at 6 PM. I have been to Hong Kong before so I know where I want to visit during the layover.

Just a couple of newbie questions:

When I arrive in HK I understand I go through immigration and customs NOT through transit as I will be staying in a hotel for the night. My question is do I have to check in again at the Cathay desk the next day or if my boarding pass on my phone suffices for the final leg of my flight.

Also does immigration ask many questions because I am there for 1 day? I suppose they wouldn't but never assume because you make an ... out of U and ME. lol

Thank you in advance for any answers.

:D! Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am

If you already have a boarding pass for your flight out of HKG there is no need to visit any check-in desk.

The only reason to visit a check-in desk would be if you have luggage to check in. Normally, your bags should be checked through to your final destination so you would not need to retrieve them when you arrive in HKG, and thus you wouldn't need to check them in again. But if there is something you need in your checked bags while in Hong Kong, then you could ask for them to only be checked to HKG, and then obviously you would need to recheck them for your second flight.

Immigration shouldn't be an issue.

Steve M Apr 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by eagle215 (Post 31029334)
Also does immigration ask many questions because I am there for 1 day?

No issues. Unlike many other places, the Hong Kong landing form asks neither for the purpose of your visit nor your intended length of stay, and I've never had them ask any questions.

Eagle2000 Apr 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31029484)
If you already have a boarding pass for your flight out of HKG there is no need to visit any check-in desk.

The only reason to visit a check-in desk would be if you have luggage to check in. Normally, your bags should be checked through to your final destination so you would not need to retrieve them when you arrive in HKG, and thus you wouldn't need to check them in again. But if there is something you need in your checked bags while in Hong Kong, then you could ask for them to only be checked to HKG, and then obviously you would need to recheck them for your second flight.

Immigration shouldn't be an issue.

Great! I will only have a carry-on so I will enjoy my 21 hours in HK! thank you for your response.

garykung Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

When I arrive in HK I understand I go through immigration and customs NOT through transit as I will be staying in a hotel for the night. My question is do I have to check in again at the Cathay desk the next day or if my boarding pass on my phone suffices for the final leg of my flight.

I will have a paper BP just in case.

Also does immigration ask many questions because I am there for 1 day? I suppose they wouldn't but never assume because you make an ... out of U and ME.

Depending on your travel document, some questions may be asked.

Remember your paper BP? Show it and there will be fewer questions.