Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Flight So Expensive Tokyo-Hong Kong weekend October 5-6

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Why is Flight So Expensive Tokyo-Hong Kong weekend October 5-6

I was looking to book a one-way flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong on either October 5 or 6. A nonstop flight costs a little over $300 for these dates (HK Express). I checked multiple other weekend dates between now and October, and the price for those dates are generally around $70-100.

What is going on that weekend to contribute to such a huge increase in ticket price? Any other airlines to try?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mis post
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:44 pm

Well the Hong Kong Tennis Open starts on the 7th.

There's also Chung Yeung (public holiday) on the 7th, but people won't flight in en masse for that.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
I was looking to book a one-way flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong on either October 5 or 6. A nonstop flight costs a little over $300 for these dates (HK Express). I checked multiple other weekend dates between now and October, and the price for those dates are generally around $70-100.

What is going on that weekend to contribute to such a huge increase in ticket price? Any other airlines to try?
It's because the week-long holiday in China so people are flying en-masse in that week.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:07 am

Yes, that's people travelling back to HK after the holiday. No surprise fares are up, even this early.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I first started working in HK and China, Japan fares were routinely $1000 each way.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:10 am

But life has changed! At least with the entry of LCCs HK Express and Tulip/Vanilla. Travel to Japan has become really reasonable for the past couple of years or so.

Of course Cathay gobbling up HK Express will probably change life again. Cheap fares are to Cathay what cheap phones are to Apple.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork

If HK Express is charging ONLY $300, other airlines will charge at least $300. Don't think you have any alternatives if you must fly during the 1st week of Oct - there's National holiday week in China and HK has public holidays on 10/1 and 10/7.
While I have no factual evidence to back this up, it's only going to get more expensive as you get closer to date as my HK colleagues are already planning their fall holidays.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chromie25
If HK Express is charging ONLY $300, other airlines will charge at least $300. Don't think you have any alternatives if you must fly during the 1st week of Oct - there's National holiday week in China and HK has public holidays on 10/1 and 10/7.
While I have no factual evidence to back this up, it's only going to get more expensive as you get closer to date as my HK colleagues are already planning their fall holidays.
hk express do not charge 300 for those days. you’d be looking at USD500-1000.

regardless of what happens in china, it is a long weekend + multiple holidays in HK. and people pile up to japan regardless
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 889
But life has changed! At least with the entry of LCCs HK Express and Tulip/Vanilla. Travel to Japan has become really reasonable for the past couple of years or so.

Of course Cathay gobbling up HK Express will probably change life again. Cheap fares are to Cathay what cheap phones are to Apple.
lcc charge up to 1000usd tokyo RT regardless over holidays.
nothing to cx “gobbling” up uo anyways.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
There's also Chung Yeung (public holiday) on the 7th, but people won't flight in en masse for that.
they would.

consider get a state subsidized pvg tickrt if one wants a cheap ticket. those are cheaper than UO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.