Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Car hire at Chep Lap Kok

Car hire at Chep Lap Kok

Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Car hire at Chep Lap Kok

I have to visit Chep Lap Kok airport for a training course that is 10 days long.

I am considering staying on Lantau and hiring a car.

But I cannot seem to find any car hire companies advertising pick ups and drop offs at airport. I really do not want to have to trek to Kowloon or Central to hire a car.

Are there car hire desks at airport?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Car hire really is an extremely niche business here. The public transport is excellent and the taxis are cheap. So very few people feel it's worth the money.
miklcct likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by christep
Car hire really is an extremely niche business here. The public transport is excellent and the taxis are cheap. So very few people feel it's worth the money.
Not the case if the OP decides to stay on Lantau Island, which is very rural. Taxis are scarce (only 75 on the whole island), and public transport is scarce too, on weekends and holidays.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by miklcct
Not the case if the OP decides to stay on Lantau Island, which is very rural. Taxis are scarce (only 75 on the whole island), and public transport is scarce too, on weekends and holidays.
OP - I assume you will be staying at the hotel in Lantau (Novotel/Regal/Marriott)? If that's the case please ignore the response from above.

Your answer depends on what you need the hired car for. If just getting to/from HKG all 3 hotels have shuttle buses that run on regular intervals. From HKG there are various transportation that you can take to get you to other parts of HK. If you need a hired car for general travelling purposes, arrangements can be made - some travel agencies in Hong Kong offers it and the hotels themselves have chauffeur services.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:23 am

My thought re. driving on Lantau is that you can't drive around South Lantau without a permit (Lantau Closed Road Permit (LCRP), which is for private cars only, has to be applied for, and for which the driver must hold a valid full Hong Kong driving licence). North Lantau, because of the airport, cable car, and MTR has decent public transport so a car isn't really necessary. South Lantau doesn't have good public transport, roads are congested and not "great", so a car might be necessary there but you aren't going to get a permit to drive there.

And it's "Chek".
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25
OP - I assume you will be staying at the hotel in Lantau (Novotel/Regal/Marriott)? If that's the case please ignore the response from above.

Your answer depends on what you need the hired car for. If just getting to/from HKG all 3 hotels have shuttle buses that run on regular intervals. From HKG there are various transportation that you can take to get you to other parts of HK. If you need a hired car for general travelling purposes, arrangements can be made - some travel agencies in Hong Kong offers it and the hotels themselves have chauffeur services.
I was wanting to avoid one of those three hotels at the airport. The plan I am considering is to stay somewhere else on Lantau..
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
My thought re. driving on Lantau is that you can't drive around South Lantau without a permit (Lantau Closed Road Permit (LCRP), which is for private cars only, has to be applied for, and for which the driver must hold a valid full Hong Kong driving licence). North Lantau, because of the airport, cable car, and MTR has decent public transport so a car isn't really necessary. South Lantau doesn't have good public transport, roads are congested and not "great", so a car might be necessary there but you aren't going to get a permit to drive there.

And it's "Chek".
Thanks for the correction!

So perhaps I will have to reconsider the staying elsewhere on Lantau and car option.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA JAL
I think the only option you have left is Airbnb but you have to be very careful about transit. Discovery Bay looks like it has regular bus schedule to the airport terminal and a ferry service to Central but you need to look up the schedule so you don't get stuck. Where exactly is your training taking place? Not all buses travel to the operational side of the airport and there's a chance that you can taxi to those places but can't taxi back out as they don't drive through those areas to pick up passengers.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by cargueiro
I was wanting to avoid one of those three hotels at the airport. The plan I am considering is to stay somewhere else on Lantau..
Interesting. What other places are you considering? Discovery Bay also have a hotel and DB itself has transportation to the airport. There's also a hotel in Tai O, but that's quite a commute. And of course there's always Disneyland where there will be plenty of taxis (and MTR accessible).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:42 pm

Should point out there are only some 75 taxis on Lantau - it's quite a rural island. But good luck getting one, even at the airport. Lived in Tung Chung for four years and relied on the buses to get to/from the airport. I did manage get a taxi back from the airport once in those four years. I still remember the day...

Perhaps look at AirBnB options in Tung Chung. There are several (private) developments in and slightly out of the town centre. Plenty of aircrew stay there and the buses are reliable. Get yourself an Octopus card and you're good to go.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Perhaps look at AirBnB options in Tung Chung. There are several (private) developments in and slightly out of the town centre. Plenty of aircrew stay there and the buses are reliable. Get yourself an Octopus card and you're good to go.
I think an Airbnb on Tung Chung looks a good idea. Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Interesting. What other places are you considering? Discovery Bay also have a hotel and DB itself has transportation to the airport. There's also a hotel in Tai O, but that's quite a commute. And of course there's always Disneyland where there will be plenty of taxis (and MTR accessible).
It was a visit to Tai O over 20 years ago that made me think of staying on Lantau. But I was thinking of staying in a village/town closer to airport but that hopefully feels more countryside than Kowloon. When I last visited Lantau (other than airport) there was no road to where airport is now and Tai O wS rather charming.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

It is also possible to stay in a guesthouse in rural south Lantau as well. It is a popular holiday destination.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadianMoocow
I think the only option you have left is Airbnb but you have to be very careful about transit. Discovery Bay looks like it has regular bus schedule to the airport terminal and a ferry service to Central but you need to look up the schedule so you don't get stuck. Where exactly is your training taking place? Not all buses travel to the operational side of the airport and there's a chance that you can taxi to those places but can't taxi back out as they don't drive through those areas to pick up passengers.
The training is either in or next to the Regal Hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:56 am

It was a visit to Tai O over 20 years ago that made me think of staying on Lantau. But I was thinking of staying in a village/town closer to airport but that hopefully feels more countryside than Kowloon. When I last visited Lantau (other than airport) there was no road to where airport is now and Tai O wS rather charming.
It would be an understatement to say that Lantau has changed over the last 20 years ago. Before the airport project there was no road leading into the island, no urban development, no MTR, no Disneyland etc.

There's actually an hotel in Tai O (forgot the name but you can google it), which might give you some of the nostalgic feel but not sure how you can/will commute from Tai O to the airport each day (or whether that's worth it).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.