Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong for new year

Edited

Last edited by dansound; Jul 5, 2022 at 4:40 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As you are not specifically asking for luxury hotel accommodations, I am moving this thread to the FT Hong Kong Forum. Please follow there.
See DESTINATIONS >Asia>Hong Kong
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dansound
last 3 nights in somewhere really nice to overlook the harbour
could do last 2-3 nights at one of these: rosewood, intercontinental, peninsula, ritz carlton

some may have third night free etc deals, and two of above can be booked with points

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 12, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Anywhere on the harbour will be expensive for New Years.

I was just there for the 2019 New Years. I usually stay at IHG properties. The InterContinental Grand Stafford is my choice for the harbor view. I find it a good balance between "optimum view" and cost. There are others with a better view, but at a much higher cost.

I have never been on the banks of the harbour for New Years; I hear it is really crowded. I instead chose a rooftop venue.

Last edited by Gongzuokuang; Mar 13, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if using points is stafford that much less than other IC?

OP budget is good for 6 nights + 2 nights
and originally posted in luxury hotels forum

dec 31 - jan 2

rosewood
Ł737 kowloon
Ł786 harbor
Ł853 grand harbor
(upgrade at booking via agent)

could try direct or via agent >
both ICs and Pen blocked online
RC not showing many rooms

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 13, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if using points is stafford that much less than other IC?

OP budget is good for 6 nights + 2 nights
and originally posted in luxury hotels forum
Maybe a moot point. I was going to post the prices of each at as of today they are both sold out for New Years eve. I initially looked at a 3 night stay. Maybe it needs more?

Maybe if he's using points, it's not much different. I didn't compare because he was talking about a budget.

So for a two night stay NEAR New Years, at the GS a "King Bed Brand Premier Full Harbour View" with flex reservation is $3300 HKD per night for 12/29 & 12/30. At the IC HK, a "Intercontinental Deluxe Harbour View Rm" is $5395 per night for 12/28 & 12/29. (Same nights not available)

IC Hong Kong is nicer view. The lobby bar is really nice. It's due for a makeover, and I think it will be closed for renovations next year about this time. The Grand Stafford has newer rooms and I believe more modern bathrooms. And the view from the GS doesn't suck.

I guess it's all about perspective. I personally don't think it's worth 63% more, especially if he's not spending much time in the room. But to each their own. :-)

He'll have fun no matter where he stays. I have spent New Years in HK a few times now; great time!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I choose 4.

Hong Kong is fairly accessible with public transportation. So the traveling does not worth the saving.

Also - the big question is how much time will you in the room? Nice view is always great. But the thing is would you rather to enjoy the city or the room instead? Beside the view is accessible away from the hotels anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
my rec for any parent with a sub6

dont bother with countdown activities. midnight fireworks is the most boring thing for a sub6 kid. you wont be able to go out to party anyways- just avoid it all together. you’ll be landlocked to the hotel from around 8pm.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Transport shuts down before a certain time in HKG for the fireworks, so make sure you are in your hotel when it does. We really wanted to go for the fireworks as our little guy really loves them, but we settled on Japan this year (where they don’t even celebrate NYE - ugh). He’s enjoys fireworks so much that we actually wake him up for them for the past couple years (yes, he likes them THAT much). Try some harbourview locations on the central side. JW Marriott, Conrad, Renaissance are all great options for fireworks. The Hyatt Regency is a moderate budget option on the Kowloon side, but it’s an obstructed view of the fireworks. (I really like the customer service there.)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
I can't believe I found this thread! We will be in Hong Kong for 2020 New Year's (Rat), but staying on a cruise ship. We want to explore Hong Kong that day, but assume it will be super crowded. What might be a reasonable way to tour assuming we are back on the ship for fireworks etc. in the evening?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Transport shuts down before a certain time in HKG for the fireworks, so make sure you are in your hotel when it does.
The only things that stop are the ferries in the central harbour area, and there are some traffic controls around TST because of the crowds which affects some bus routes. The MTR actually runs later than usual on NYE.

But (western) NYE is quite a recent thing here. The much bigger fireworks are on the second day of Chinese New Year, and mid-evening, so at a more manageable time for kids.
TravelLawyer likes this.

Last edited by christep; Mar 20, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Pavane
I can't believe I found this thread! We will be in Hong Kong for 2020 New Year's (Rat), but staying on a cruise ship. We want to explore Hong Kong that day, but assume it will be super crowded. What might be a reasonable way to tour assuming we are back on the ship for fireworks etc. in the evening?
I'm fairly sure everyone else on this thread is talking about western NYE (31st December), whereas you seem to mean Chinese New Year (the fireworks will be on Sunday January 26th 2020 - the second day of the Year of The Rat).

Be aware that if your ship is docked at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal then you won't have a very good view of the fireworks at all. (It will be good if you are at the (smaller) Ocean Terminal)

HK won't be a great deal more crowded than any other public holiday (except in the immediate vicinity of the central/TST harbourfront from about 5pm onwards as people grab places to watch the fireworks). It's easy to get around using the public transport system.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by christep
The only things that stop are the ferries in the central harbour area, and there are some traffic controls around TST because of the crowds which affects some bus routes. The MTR actually runs later than usual on NYE.
Thanks for the clarification. We were in TST at the time, so that makes complete sense.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by christep
To supplement, the "control" means 1) the harbour needs to be shut down because of safety reasons, mainly reserved for vessels for the firework, as well as emergency vessels; 2) the bus routes will be re-routed nearby reasonably away from the restricted area (Note - a large portion of TST will be closed for vehicle access for the firework). Also - unsurprisingly, there will be more buses available to transport people in and out TST because of the firework.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Edited
kaka likes this.

Last edited by dansound; Jul 5, 2022 at 4:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.