Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

What do you do when you land and depart from HKG?

Old Feb 17, 19, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I've been to HK a few times in my life. I'm heading back to HK very soon. When I land, I go to the Plaza Premium Arrival lounge. Obviously it's the not the best lounge in the world, but at least I have a place to go to and take a shower and grab a little bit of food. I'll be arriving in HK early in the morning so that's what I have in mind for my upcoming trip. My understanding is that I can't visit the Centurion lounge unless I'm departing from HKG. True or not? If not, then I would love to go there before I take the Airport Express to the city.

The last couple of times I left HK, I went to the Centurion Lounge due to the great reviews and I think it lived up to the reviews that I read. I had a great experience and the food was good. Does anyone here know if there is now a time limit enforced at the Centurion Lounge? Last time I was there for about 4 hours and I was able to eat breakfast and lunch before I left.

What else do you guys do when you land or depart from HKG?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: None any more
You can't (easily) access the departure lounges at HKG and then return landside.
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From 22 march 2019, there will be a 3hr time limit for Platinum Card Holders in the Centurion lounge ( if you have a centurion card then this limit does not apply)

I have arrived early in the aM ( normally connecting) and at the hotel (Conrad ) i was able to get checked in straight away ( otherwise I could use the spa/pool then explore HKG before checking in later)

When leaving HKG I have OWE status so can use the Cathay lounges with no time restriction

Regards

TBS
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

From 22 march 2019, there will be a 3hr time limit for Platinum Card Holders in the Centurion lounge ( if you have a centurion card then this limit does not apply)

I have arrived early in the aM ( normally connecting) and at the hotel (Conrad ) i was able to get checked in straight away ( otherwise I could use the spa/pool then explore HKG before checking in later)

When leaving HKG I have OWE status so can use the Cathay lounges with no time restriction

Regards

TBS
How will they enforce it? I've never seen any lounges enforcing it before. The front desk staff is busy enough as is. Even at 7 AM, the Centurion Lounge can get quite busy.
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How will they enforce it? I've never seen any lounges enforcing it before. The front desk staff is busy enough as is. Even at 7 AM, the Centurion Lounge can get quite busy.
Hi,

I suspect that if you arrive at 10am with a boarding pass for a flight after 1pm they will not let you in. A few of the Priority pass lounges also have a time restriction ( but have not encountered it myself)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 17, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

I suspect that if you arrive at 10am with a boarding pass for a flight after 1pm they will not let you in. A few of the Priority pass lounges also have a time restriction ( but have not encountered it myself)

Regards

TBS
The last couple of times I went to the PP arrival lounge, the front desk staff stated there is a 3 hour limit, but again, I never saw any enforcement being done.
Old Feb 17, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Easy: the new rule isn't actually a 3-hour stay limit, but a prohibition on entry earlier than 3 hours prior to departure (unless you're connecting from a same-day inbound flight). So it's more like a 2.5-hour stay limit. It's easy to enforce since it's done at the time of entry.

The last couple of times I went to the PP arrival lounge, the front desk staff stated there is a 3 hour limit, but again, I never saw any enforcement being done.
That's a different situation, as the lounge staff would have to keep track of every passenger's entry and then round them up when their time expired.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Easy: the new rule isn't actually a 3-hour stay limit, but a prohibition on entry earlier than 3 hours prior to departure (unless you're connecting from a same-day inbound flight). So it's more like a 2.5-hour stay limit. It's easy to enforce since it's done at the time of entry.

That's a different situation, as the lounge staff would have to keep track of every passenger's entry and then round them up when their time expired.
even the PP departure lounges have the same 3 hour rule but it was never enforced. lets see how Amex will enforce it. I dont think a 3.5 hour before departure will be a very valid way to enforce the restriction.
Old Feb 18, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
even the PP departure lounges have the same 3 hour rule but it was never enforced. lets see how Amex will enforce it. I dont think a 3.5 hour before departure will be a very valid way to enforce the restriction.
The SEA Centurion Lounge was enforcing this three hour limit in November. The front desk attendant pointed out to a sign right outside the entrance stating the policy (which I missed when I walked in).
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
lets see how Amex will enforce it.
It's really simple and they're already doing it during peak times: if it's more than 3 hours before the departure time stated on your boarding pass, you don't get in.

I dont think a 3.5 hour before departure will be a very valid way to enforce the restriction.
The rule is actually 3 hours before departure, which is why I said above it's closer to a 2.5-hour limit in the lounge. What about this is not "valid?"
kaka and ijgordon like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
It's really simple and they're already doing it during peak times: if it's more than 3 hours before the departure time stated on your boarding pass, you don't get in.

The rule is actually 3 hours before departure, which is why I said above it's closer to a 2.5-hour limit in the lounge. What about this is not "valid?"
they should get departures security and transit security to limit entry to departures airside to 3 hours before flight like in cts
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they should get departures security and transit security to limit entry to departures airside to 3 hours before flight like in cts
And cut into people's $hopping time?
Old Feb 19, 19, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
And cut into people's $hopping time?
they should shop elsewhere and not choke up airside. im surprised people never brought it up. they did in the cx forum.
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:50 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You never visited the Ambassador Lounges in SIN for Priority Pass and others. Upon entry you are provided with a big, timestamped sticker which must be visible at all time.

Limiting time based on boarding pass won't work because people arriving could use the lounges.
Old Feb 20, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL

they should shop elsewhere and not choke up airside. im surprised people never brought it up. they did in the cx forum.
Shop rents are very different between air side and land side. Airport management wants people to be air side, and shop there.

Search this Thread