Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts/suggestions on hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thoughts/suggestions on hotels

Hi,

My wife and I are visiting Hong Kong for the first time. We're in town for 3 days and are debating what hotel/neighborhood we should stay at. We have SPG/Marriott Gold status and are trying to work our way up to Plat. SPG/Marriott properties are preferred but not 100% required.

On our short list are:
W
Ritz Carlton
Mira Moon
JW Marriott

I know there are iconic HK hotels such as the Mandarin Orientals and Peninsula, as well as other top properties like the Four Seasons. Unfortunately those are out of our budget, at least for this trip. The one exception is the Ritz Carlton, which we can stay at using SPG/Marriott/Bonvoy? points. The property looks gorgeous, but I get the impression that both the RC and W are not located in the best area for tourists?

We're in our early 30s, probably going to do the usual touristy stuff (Victoria Peak, etc.), check out good restaurants/cafes, just explore the city in general. We're not heavy drinkers, but would like to check out a few "classier" bars/lounges including at least one rooftop place.

Between Causeway Bay/Wan Chai (Mira Moon) or Admiralty (JW Marriott), or other properties, what would better fit what we're looking for? And is the W/RC area really that inconvenient as a base for exploring the city?

Any other properties that would be good?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I've stayed at 3 of the 4 properties you list but not Mira Moon. Of the W, Ritz, and JW, I prefer the location of the JW. You're at Pacific Place with lots of transportation choices right there. It's a central location on Hong Kong Island. You've got a great view over the harbor to Kowloon.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
i also prefer the location of JW at Pacific Place. the band at BarQ88 is the best.

JW club lounge is nice but nothing like RC though.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Welcome to flyertalk

How about the Sheraton ( and go for the Towers rooms) as it is beside the harbour and the towers lounge have wonderful views over the harbour and you are in the heart of TST beside Nathan Road and 5mins from the Star Ferry . It has a roof top pool and the towers breakfast is very good.

JW Marriott is very good also above Pacific Place ( high end shopping mall) and Admiralty MTR station and close to Hong Kong Park ( good free conservatory) and the Peak Tram Terminus.

From the map and viewing it from afar the RC is a bit of a hike to the tourist areas

Regards

TBS

PS Although not SPG/Marriott/Bonvoy I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency TST ( close to the Sheraton) and the Conrad at Pacific Place ( beside the marriott) and both are very good hotels. The Executive lounge at the Conrad on the 59th floor has great views towards Kowloon overlooking the harbour.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Feb 12, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
I would love to hear more about the RC. My family and I will be going there in august on points for 4 nights! Debating about club access but with all the good restaurants in HK, I am not sure if I want to eat hotel food while I am there.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by NJFlyer_HOHO
I would love to hear more about the RC. My family and I will be going there in august on points for 4 nights! Debating about club access but with all the good restaurants in HK, I am not sure if I want to eat hotel food while I am there.
You'll find lots of information in these threads:

Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong - luxury hotel forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html - Marriott forum

I encourage you to post any specific questions in one of those threads.
NJFlyer_HOHO likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
For a first time, 3 day stay, I would recommend the RC, specifically for the view (fingers crossed for good weather, of course). With Marriott Gold, you're not getting breakfast at any of the properties anyways so now's probably the best time to stay at RC (while all properties you've listed will offer Breakfast for Plat, except for the RC). There's a bit of a walk to get to the subway, but if you're early-30s and in good health, it's really not that bad.

Finally RC used to count for double the elite nights; not sure if that's still the same under Bonvoy, but if it is, it should help you hit your Plat faster.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I actually would NOT recommend the RC or W for a first time visit to HK. I too have stayed at all those properties except the Mira Moon, in addition to the Conrad and InterContinental HK. While I LOVED the RC for it's spectacular views, luxurious furnishings, and great customer service, the location is very inaccessible other than to the Airport Express. You have to make several connections on the MTR to even get to other parts of Kowloon. The W is nice and customer service is good, but the views of the harbour/city are blocked by the RC building. It's in the same remote location as the RC. Although I do like Elements Mall - the grocery store is very convenient. I absolutely love Pacific Place Mall - shopping, grocery and the MTR are all within walking distance. The Conrad is our usual stomping grounds as a Hilton Diamond, but the JW is right next door and is equally good, particularly if you can secure a harbourview room. So my vote would be for the JW out of the list you provided.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:17 pm

Agree with AtomicLush. With RC you'll be spending more time travelling, although it's not too far.

Staying at JW, you can walk to Central and Wanchai. You can stroll through the Park to the Peak Tram. You can take the bus to Stanley, the tram across the 'top' of the island, and the MTR to wherever - the MTR station there is Admiralty and is a 'hub' for other lines, such as the ones to TST and Ocean Park.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
What about InterContinental HK? I am deciding between JW and InterContinental HK. I have one free night I can use at IC HK. I am Plat with both Marriott and IHG.

Last edited by Ilove2fly; Mar 7, 2019 at 10:34 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The IC harbour view rooms are where you get the classic HK view, if that's important to you. It's generally regarded as a little above the Marriott in terms of quality.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:37 am

I'm a fan of the IC HK and have stayed there on free night certs. Platinum status will give you a one level upgrade which is not to a view room. You can then pay more for a view room if it is important to you. Otherwise, enjoy it from the lobby bar.

There's a lengthy thread about the hotel in the Priority Club forum. Here's a link to my report.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...l#post30520923

The hotel is in need of reburishment and keeps pushing the date out when it will close for remodeling. I paid for a significant upgrade and was well content with my room. I'm not familiar with the lower level rooms. Read recent reports in the linked thread for perspective.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Presuming you mean the IC ex-Regent then that is a great hotel but 10 years overdue for refurbishing. The higher-end rooms and suites have great room layouts even if the carpet will be worn (I last stayed several years ago and it was overdue for refurb then). Potential to be one of the best hotels in the world but probably not as an IC. Note that there is another IC nearby called "Grand Stanford" which is much less desirable but often gets confused with the more desirable IC. Rather ironically that IC is not in need of refurbishment.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Thanks San Diego 1K and Number_6. I booked 3 standard room nights at the IC. May be I should have change it to one level higher.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Of the properties mentioned, the JW has the best location. Unfortunately the rooms at the JW are very mediocre and dated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.