Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Day use hotel or lounge / room at HKG for 7am arrival?

Old Feb 10, 19, 12:41 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all --

Seeking your knowledge about any good options for a family member arriving on one of the dreaded 6am flights to HKG. I imagine it won't be possible to check into the city hotel planned for that night yet with such an early arrival, so I wanted to find a place at HKG (or other option) for her to rest. I looked into the following, but all were a little high priced:

- Aerotel air-side (couple hours, US $142!)
- Regal airport (day use 9am-9pm, HKD ~1700)
- Priority pass (not for arriving pax?)
- Amex lounge (also not for arriving pax?)

Can you think of any other potential options for this situation? Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:58 pm

If I've such an early arrival into an "expensive" city in Asia and you'll stay there for future nights, too (where booking an extra "prior" night on day of arrival of the hotel I'd stay would eat quite a bit into budget extra) usually there are three (or three and a half when with status) options in my rulebook.

-Status-only option (and staying at a chain hotel where it's valid, most obviously): Ask for early checkin - unless the hotel is fully booked, it's entirely possible that will be granted. I usually managed to check in around 9-10am on several properties in Singapore using this strategy (in HKG, never tried it due to usually staying at Non-Chain hotels..)
-Option 1: Simply asking the hotel (beforehand, by email) what an early checkin would cost. I've had the whole range, from free (!), reasonable charge (anything from 30 USD to 50% of a hotel night I'd consider so) or a crazy rate even higher than what I paid for a regular night. This is usually the easiest and stress-free option.
-Option 2: Book a cheap hotel, possibly even just on arrival if you really feel sleepy (sometimes I arrive quite fresh and don't feel like resting for a while on arrival) - if not feeling sleepy, go for -> 3
-Option 3: Simply drop luggage at the hotel and head out to explore the city - of course this can be combined with asking for an early checkin - depending on their policy and availability, all is fair game..
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 6:28 pm
TA
Original Poster

Thanks, we will consider those tips.

Any other HKG-specific info or possibilities?
Old Feb 11, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
There is a dedicated arrival lounge for Priority Pass, by Plaza Premium, in T2
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:05 am
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
There is a dedicated arrival lounge for Priority Pass, by Plaza Premium, in T2
Oh, thank you for that very useful info -- do you know if they have sleeping rooms? From the PP website it looks like a usual seated lounge.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...als-terminal-2

" private resting area, "

If I am not mistaken it'll cost almost as much as a night at a cheap hotel.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...als-terminal-2

" private resting area, "

If I am not mistaken it'll cost almost as much as a night at a cheap hotel.
Never stayed in HKG so don't know how much a cheap hotel costs, but the cost of the private room at the PP is USD90 for 3hrs and USD160 for 6hrs.

Not sure if having a Priority Pass card will give you access to the private resting area, but it does let you in to the arrivals lounge part. There is a deal via Groupon UK at the moment where you can get 50%, 38% or 25% off Priority Pass membership at the moment. It's 50% off the standard members, 38% off standard + 1 free visit or 25% off Standard + 10 visits. Visits above your allowance, plus any guests are charged at 20 now. The groupon voucher is 6. So in total I've paid 48 for 1 visit and membership using the mid offer. To buy 2 hours access at the PP (transit) lounge would be USD75 or around 58 so I'm quids in. Subsequent visits at 20 also make it worthwhile.

If the OP's relative is happy to spend a few hours in the arrival lounge then this may be cheaper option - assuming you can get an equivalent deal or access the UK one.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:42 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, what hotel are you staying at for the rest of your visit?
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Not sure if having a Priority Pass card will give you access to the private resting area,

If you pay the private resting area rates as published, per person.

>> If the OP's relative is happy to spend a few hours in the arrival lounge

Since the closing of the CX arrival lounge across the hall, the arrival lounge has been very crowded all day. So good luck finding a couch / chair instead of bar seat.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't do a cheap hotel. Cheap hotels can be dodgy in Hong Kong and there's also the hassle then of moving to the real hotel.

If you're entitled to lounge access at the real hotel, you'll be able to wait there until the room is ready if you don't feel like going off exploring upon arrival. You're officially not entitled to breakfast upon arrival, but you can at least have beverages and you might be invited to take from the breakfast buffet too.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 14, 19 at 9:14 am
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I've never checked in earlier than 2pm, but have asked for a later check out, hopefully they charge the same hourly rate for checking in x amount of hours early.
In Feb 2018 I stayed at the Royal Park hotel (Sha Tin) and they charged me HK$50 per hour for every hour after 1pm.
In Jan 2019 I stayed at the Royal Plaza hotel (Mong Kok/Prince Edward) and they charged me HK$180 per hour after 3pm.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:07 pm
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
OP, what hotel are you staying at for the rest of your visit?
Probably staying at either Sheraton TST, Hyatt TST (these maybe on points), or something like the Metropark Kowloon (close to family / activities).
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA View Post
Probably staying at either Sheraton TST, Hyatt TST (these maybe on points), or something like the Metropark Kowloon (close to family / activities).
for sheraton or hyatt, email them and see what they can do? they are probably slightly more flexible depending on if you have status. otherwise, most of these nicer chains would let you use the pool area/gym
Old Feb 14, 19, 9:12 am
TA
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips, will give the hotel contacts a try!
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I strongly suspect they'll tell you they can only guarantee a room if you book the night beforehand at the going rate. Lots of business travelers do this. Otherwise, in my experience, most large chains will let you check in early if there is a room available (though often the only available room is in a higher category, so they can upcharge you...).

Because, as a general practice, I don't fly longhauls in coach I'm usually able to get enough sleep to function with an early morning arrival, provided that I can take a shower upon landing. So the Plaza Premium or any arrivals lounge is usually fine for me, otherwise most of the 4/5* hotels probably have fitness facilities in which they'll let you shower and change.

FWIW, on the other end, a late-night departure, I had booked an extra night recently at the JW Marriott as I had a busy day of meetings and then an 11:30pm flight and wanted time to chill/change/pack. But they offer a late (9pm) checkout for something like HK$1000 and they let me switch to that when I went to check out around that time.

Search this Thread