FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   10 Hours in Hong Kong and Looking for Shopping - Luxury-ish Goods (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1951437-10-hours-hong-kong-looking-shopping-luxury-ish-goods.html)

JBauer Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

10 Hours in Hong Kong and Looking for Shopping - Luxury-ish Goods

Hello. Any advice is appreciated. Two 40-ish couples traveling in from LA with about a 10 hour layover (details below). We've both been to Hong Kong before so just want a shopping day. The wives would love to check out vintage/used places with designer handbags, shoes etc...We know fakes can be an issue, but open to good replicas...

Wednesday...
ARRIVE 07:25 on AA
DEPART 17:00 on Bangkok Airways to USM

Question:
-Where might we go for shopping for more vintage designer things? Don't want a mall or Gucci store etc- we have that at home?
-How do we store luggage at the airport? Or might Bangkok Airways take our bags very early?
-What is best transportation to and from the airport?

Much appreciated.

889 Jan 16, 2019 6:39 pm

I certainly can't help with luxury goods shopping in Hong Kong, but you'll find a storage place -- not cheap! -- in the lower passageway linking Terminals 1 and 2, after you exit Customs.

The Airport Express rail link is the fastest way to urban Hong Kong. Buy a same-day return: same price as a single-journey ticket.

Ace71 Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Citygate Outlets Tung Chung (5 mins bus ride) have some discounted luxury brand stores.
Get the airport express to Kowloon and shop in Elements shopping mall/plaza above the station.
or
Get off the next stop Hong Kong (central) 5 mins walk to Landmark or IFC shopping mall there are signs in the station of which exit to go to.

beep88 Jan 17, 2019 1:07 am

》》 Where might we go for shopping for more vintage designer things?

Milan Station
https://www.brandoff.com.hk/

Nugget_Oz Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 30663752)
Hello. Any advice is appreciated. Two 40-ish couples traveling in from LA with about a 10 hour layover (details below). We've both been to Hong Kong before so just want a shopping day. The wives would love to check out vintage/used places with designer handbags, shoes etc...We know fakes can be an issue, but open to good replicas...

Wednesday...
ARRIVE 07:25 on AA
DEPART 17:00 on Bangkok Airways to USM

Question:
-Where might we go for shopping for more vintage designer things? Don't want a mall or Gucci store etc- we have that at home?
-How do we store luggage at the airport? Or might Bangkok Airways take our bags very early?
-What is best transportation to and from the airport?

Much appreciated.

If you're talking about vintage designer like you get in Santa Barbara or Ojai that is not likely to be readily available. What you do get is like outlet stores such as Camarillo or the market shopping experience like Temple Street or Ladies Market.

The time you land will determine the availability of the markets.

As for check-in this will depend on where you end up going as the fastest way is by MTR Express and you could use the In-Town check-in counters for Bangkok Airways if the airport counters aren't open yet. The MTR Express takes you to either Central or Kowloon. With a group of 4 you can buy the discount package as well.

JBauer Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am

thanks for all the replies. seems a bunch of these places have used Gucci and other designers worth checking out...

We have bags to check, so i presume our best bet will be to store it at the airport.

christep Jan 18, 2019 1:23 pm

If your two flights are on a single ticket then AA will check your bags through.

Annalisa12 Jan 20, 2019 2:26 am

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 30671251)
thanks for all the replies. seems a bunch of these places have used Gucci and other designers worth checking out...

We have bags to check, so i presume our best bet will be to store it at the airport.

Just a thought as to if you want to buy items for yourself. If there is vintage stuff to buy they will be very small sizes. Very different to western sizes.

christep Jan 20, 2019 4:42 am

Be aware also that this is a very niche market in HK - the concept of second-hand goods being unsuitable for anyone other than the destitute is embedded in the Chinese mindset.

889 Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm

I agree, but on the other hand, there are quite a few Salvation Army stores in Hong Kong, surprisingly, and they always seem packed (at least from the outside as I stroll past).

SQTraveller Jan 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Is HK really a good place to buy luxury goods? I always thought there was a significant mark up for mainland Chinese who shop there often.

JBauer Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Maybe i'm destitute?

In any case, HK seems to have a good "used" market of hand bags and such. Including classic and vintage versions. Not looking to shop at a Versace store.

thanks

kaka Jan 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by christep (Post 30677492)
Be aware also that this is a very niche market in HK - the concept of second-hand goods being unsuitable for anyone other than the destitute is embedded in the Chinese mindset.

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 30696558)
Maybe i'm destitute?

In any case, HK seems to have a good "used" market of hand bags and such. Including classic and vintage versions. Not looking to shop at a Versace store.

thanks

milan station is the sort of places for parallel imports or where the "younger generation" can liquidate the stuff they have used once or twice so they can move on to a different piece. but it's just another gucci store selling all the same stuff.