Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:05 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
These schemes are nothing new. I have been visiting HKG since 2012 and they always play games with you in LKF saying its a $100 flat rate or they refuse to take you. I once had a local in my car who told them the driver if they don't run the meter they will call the police, and they ran the meter.
kaka, tentseller and Gongzuokuang like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
These schemes are nothing new. I have been visiting HKG since 2012 and they always play games with you in LKF saying its a $100 flat rate or they refuse to take you. I once had a local in my car who told them the driver if they don't run the meter they will call the police, and they ran the meter.
have you been playing games with them since or you switched to “illegal” uber
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
For example, we were near the TST MTR station and wanted a ride to Knutsford Terrace. We must've had at least 7 taxis IN A ROW refuse to drive us there. In some cases they would pretend not to know where it is. So I produced a map showing it. They would still refuse. So I picked other destinations that were near, such as the Mira Place hotel. They would still refuse, generally without explanation; just a shake of the head and a dismissive wave of the hand.
Alternatively I take one or two MTR stops up so the ride is more worthwhile for the driver.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Timely article.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...oost-image-and

“I’ve been turned down before,” he said, explaining his unhappiness with the service in taxis. “Sometimes taxi drivers say they are ending their shift, but you never know if it is true.”

Many other passengers in Hong Kong feel the same way. The number of complaints against taxi drivers is on track to reach a historic high, with cabbies’ refusal to pick up passengers topping the list of bad behaviour.

Although refusing a passenger is against the law, cabbies are notorious for turning down trips across Victoria Harbour, and rejecting passengers going only a short distance.

The other common complaints were about overcharging, bad driving, taking a circuitous route and uncivil or poor behaviour.

Civic Party legislator Jeremy Tam Man-ho said the penalties were not stiff enough to deter cabbies from breaking the law. Nor does it help, he noted, when passengers do not report badly behaved cabbies.

“Some people do not have the time to file a report to police,” Tam said.

He said government plans to increase the penalties and introduce a demerit system should deter more cabbies from delivering shoddy services.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
And another opinion about Uber, and the intimidation tactics of the HK taxi "mafia".

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...chance-against

"I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. A taxi industry that is rotten to the core and incapable of providing anything beyond a Neanderthal service is not only entitled to carry on with impunity, but also allowed to resort to any means to kill competition."
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:27 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I once had a taxi driver try to drive off after seeing my mum in a wheelchair. I walked in front of the taxi to take a photo of the license plate and then he suddenly changed his tune saying that he didn't see the wheelchair! (It was raining quite heavily to be fair.)

This was a $30 fare to the hospital (but he didn't know where we were going until we got in) and he had just delivered someone home, so he would have had to drive empty for some time out of our estate to find another fare.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
To be honest I have no issues catching a taxi for short rides on a street.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
I once had a taxi driver try to drive off after seeing my mum in a wheelchair. I walked in front of the taxi to take a photo of the license plate and then he suddenly changed his tune saying that he didn't see the wheelchair! (It was raining quite heavily to be fair.)

This was a $30 fare to the hospital (but he didn't know where we were going until we got in) and he had just delivered someone home, so he would have had to drive empty for some time out of our estate to find another fare.
Wheelchairs are (now) carried for free, an "initiative" that did not come from taxi drivers.

But they always see the wheelchair. Had a neighbour who often needed a taxi to get to hospital. She would be hidden behind a wall while her helper would hail a taxi. Too many jerks would drive off when they saw the wheelchair. If I was out there, I would hold the door open and pretend to get in while the helper brought around the neighbour. Still the jerks would swear. But I didn't care. The "ruse" wouldn't have been necessary if there were sufficient civilised, considerate taxi drivers in Hong Kong.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Wheelchairs are (now) carried for free, an "initiative" that did not come from taxi drivers.
And have been for 20 years to my knowledge, by government regulation.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by christep
And have been for 20 years to my knowledge, by government regulation.
It had to be by government regulation because taxi drivers would charge to carry them. The only option was to legislate. No ....ing kindness of their hearts.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
No ....ing kindness of their hearts.
"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest"

So, drop the quota on taxi licensing and implement ERP to control traffic.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

ahhhh
i just got notice the cabbie who rejected my fare is being charged
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Alternatively I take one or two MTR stops up so the ride is more worthwhile for the driver.
worthwhile? they get 300hkd for going from tst to central. i dont think starting from mong kok w the meter can help a lot.

they do illegal crap anyway, so i have no issues giving money someone else who do another illegal business.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
And another opinion about Uber, and the intimidation tactics of the HK taxi "mafia".

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...chance-against

"I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. A taxi industry that is rotten to the core and incapable of providing anything beyond a Neanderthal service is not only entitled to carry on with impunity, but also allowed to resort to any means to kill competition."
the taxi licences are held by rotten ex govt officials who the brits kicked out from the govt, and defected to the commies.
of course they are rotten to the core
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
And for those who think Uber is staffed by angels: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...filming-almost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.