Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Hong Kong taxi drivers are becoming more obnoxious than normal.

On my last visit (around Christmas / New Years), I found two growing trends.

1) Drivers refusing to accept a fare.
2) Drivers refusing to use the meter.

For example, we were near the TST MTR station and wanted a ride to Knutsford Terrace. We must've had at least 7 taxis IN A ROW refuse to drive us there. In some cases they would pretend not to know where it is. So I produced a map showing it. They would still refuse. So I picked other destinations that were near, such as the Mira Place hotel. They would still refuse, generally without explanation; just a shake of the head and a dismissive wave of the hand.

And often at night, they would not let you into the cab until you told them your destination. They'd then say, $200 (instead of using the meter).

As I understand it, both of these are illegal.

I'm told you can report them. Is it worth the effort? Or does the licensing board just look the other way? Do you need their driver tag, or is the car tag enough?

As long as people tolerate this, it will continue to happen.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:45 pm

Depending on the MTR exit, it's 6-7 minute walk to Knutsford Terrace, less to Mira. Taxi drivers here don't like short hops; they never have. They want the longer, more lucrative rides. A two-min ride for just the flag fall? Nope.

Again at night, they want to be picky about the rides. No it's not legal. Yes it's annoying as f...

You can report them, for what it's worth. Don't know what 'tags' are but to report a driver you need the Taxi Driver Identity Plate Number with Name of Driver (take a photo) or Vehicle Registration Number (but ideally both), plus other details.

Report Form: https://www.tcu.gov.hk/taxi/index.htm
kaka and HMPS like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Depending what TST MTR entrance/exit you are at, the nearest one to Knutsford Terrace is approx. just over 300 meters away and the furthest is approx. just over 700 meters., although an easy HK$24 earned that equals to approx. US$3.06.
The taxi driver COULD have been parked up for 1 min or 30 mins waiting for a customer, the taxi driver should not have refuse a fare but put yourself in his shoes would you have taken the fare?
Fares off the meter is illegal and it is up to you if want to report the taxi driver on either of the offences.

2 articles about HK taxi drivers For and Against.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ernment-brings
https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters...t-condemnation
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

For example, we were near the TST MTR station and wanted a ride to Knutsford Terrace. We must've had at least 7 taxis IN A ROW refuse to drive us there. In some cases they would pretend not to know where it is. So I produced a map showing it. They would still refuse. So I picked other destinations that were near, such as the Mira Place hotel. They would still refuse, generally without explanation; just a shake of the head and a dismissive wave of the hand.

And often at night, they would not let you into the cab until you told them your destination. They'd then say, $200 (instead of using the meter).

I'm told you can report them. Is it worth the effort? Or does the licensing board just look the other way? Do you need their driver tag, or is the car tag enough?

You can report them and most taxi drivers don't care because the penalties are too lenient and most complainants will not bother with going along with the full prosecution procedure (e.g. giving statements to police, actually showing up in court as a witness, etc). The police are out there in undercover trying to catch the illegal fares and they catch a bunch of drivers every week, but obviously that hasn't stopped the taxi drivers from ripping off passengers.

Sadly there's not much you can do but in your case, unless you're hauling a lot of things with you, walking is/was the best option.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Chromie25
You can report them and most taxi drivers don't care because the penalties are too lenient and most complainants will not bother with going along with the full prosecution procedure (e.g. giving statements to police, actually showing up in court as a witness, etc). The police are out there in undercover trying to catch the illegal fares and they catch a bunch of drivers every week, but obviously that hasn't stopped the taxi drivers from ripping off passengers.

Sadly there's not much you can do but in your case, unless you're hauling a lot of things with you, walking is/was the best option.
They are also very good at picking out non-HKers who are trying to get a taxi. These are the ones who are unlikely to return to Hk just to expedite the prosecution.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorite are the ones who don't understand simple English names for famous hotels or places, then when i switch to mandarin, they don't remarkably don't speak mandarin either. HK is more and more a jive turkey city, I used to like is as an occasional escape from the mainland but now I prefer to stay in Shanghai as I think it's nicer.
ROCruiser likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
My favorite are the ones who don't understand simple English names for famous hotels or places, then when i switch to mandarin, they don't remarkably don't speak mandarin either. HK is more and more a jive turkey city, I used to like is as an occasional escape from the mainland but now I prefer to stay in Shanghai as I think it's nicer.
Sadly you're right.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

that's why there is uber. screw taxis. its not illegal to be an uber customer, just the driver if the legal system can prove them taking a fare (uber does, not the driver)... or driving without an insurance policy (uber the company has)

if you cant avoid taxis, just hop on and tell them your destination, otherwise go to a police station. reporting them after the incident is a waste of time even if you have their name and license plate.
Gongzuokuang likes this.

Last edited by kaka; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:44 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ace71
Depending what TST MTR entrance/exit you are at, the nearest one to Knutsford Terrace is approx. just over 300 meters away and the furthest is approx. just over 700 meters., although an easy HK$24 earned that equals to approx. US$3.06.
The taxi driver COULD have been parked up for 1 min or 30 mins waiting for a customer, the taxi driver should not have refuse a fare but put yourself in his shoes would you have taken the fare?
Fares off the meter is illegal and it is up to you if want to report the taxi driver on either of the offences.

2 articles about HK taxi drivers For and Against.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ernment-brings
https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters...t-condemnation
they are licensed to take any fare. at TST it would just be minutes (or even seconds) before they can take another fare. Would i have taken the fare at TST? yes. it would be the easiest $24 the driver can make. For the number of laws taxi drivers break in a regular basis, I do not object any business to take out the whole industry.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
sorry to say that I'm from Hong Kong and I don't use taxi...Uber rules.
TravelLawyer and kaka like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
And I immigrated to HK 20 years ago, and I have no issues with taxis. Maybe 1% of rides I have a slight issue, but 99% are fine, and that's with close to zero Cantonese. And I will always be much more comfortable getting into a licensed taxi than some random private person's car.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Not worth the effort.

Taxi operations in Hong Kong is fairly complicated than many imagine.

To make thing simple - let's say you file the complaint and the police take actions against the driver. So what? First - the impacted passenger will have to testify in court against the driver. I don't believe many would return. In addition - even convicted, the driver will not lose the privilege of driving taxi.

Sorry to say - the lapse in regulations allow these bad apples to do these. So the HKSAR Government should do something, not you.

Originally Posted by manucanuck
sorry to say that I'm from Hong Kong and I don't use taxi...Uber rules.
Don't know you like to support illegal activities.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by garykung
Not worth the effort.

Well there you go.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
Not worth the effort.

Taxi operations in Hong Kong is fairly complicated than many imagine.

To make thing simple - let's say you file the complaint and the police take actions against the driver. So what? First - the impacted passenger will have to testify in court against the driver. I don't believe many would return. In addition - even convicted, the driver will not lose the privilege of driving taxi.

Sorry to say - the lapse in regulations allow these bad apples to do these. So the HKSAR Government should do something, not you.

how is refusing a fare less illegal than taking uber (it isnt. show me a law that one would break by TAKING an uber)

cant believe you support illegal activities
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by christep
And I immigrated to HK 20 years ago, and I have no issues with taxis. Maybe 1% of rides I have a slight issue, but 99% are fine, and that's with close to zero Cantonese. And I will always be much more comfortable getting into a licensed taxi than some random private person's car.
good for you
ive been rejected fares enough not to take them now. and their driving is worse than my sister’s- shes clocked less than 100 driving hours.
I would be waiting for 20 minutes+ just to get a cabbie would would bother to stop to ask where im going, then drive off. so whats the point. more to add is that half the time the face on the photo isnt the same as the driver
Gongzuokuang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.