Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying / Dishonest Hong Kong Taxi Drivers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
From time to time I pick up a taxi in the mid-levels who has just dropped someone off that they brought from Kowloon. They really don't know HK side well, but it's no problem in my case because I can always show them the route to take.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by christep
From time to time I pick up a taxi in the mid-levels who has just dropped someone off that they brought from Kowloon. They really don't know HK side well, but it's no problem in my case because I can always show them the route to take.
Are you talking about those who really don't know or those who feign ignorance? When tell them I will take charge of the navigation they then suddenly tell me the route's not good (which is surprising given they first said they didn't know the route).

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 22, 2019 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:19 am
Suspended

I have no idea, but I don't remember ever having a problem with a driver who claimed to be a Kowloon driver who I then guided on my route.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Just got back from a trip to Hong Kong. I checked my Uber app and found well over $3000HKD in spending. I also did take some taxis, but it was probably less than $500HKD. It was usually at places like Kowloon Station, where setting a pickup location might not be easy. And of the few times I did try to take taxis, I had one guy refuse the drive from WanChai to Central. I did have some fun as I already had my camera ready when he rolled down the window. When he gave me his head shake and dismissive hand wave I shouted "illegal" and snapped a picture. OMG, the look on his face was priceless! He jumped out of the cab yelling at me in Canto, to which I just give him a dismissive wave of the hand! LOL!

Uber has it's issues. You need to wait longer. There were times when I would schedule the uber and be waiting as I watched empty "for hire" taxis drive by. And there were a few times when the GPS location was not accurate; like setting the pickup for the wrong side of the road. But all things considered I found my stress level was far less. Setting the destination was much easier. And 100% of the drivers were polite. And not only did it conserve my cash, but I got points because it all charges to my Amex. :-)

Uber is the future, and it's success is entirely because of these snotty, arrogant cab drivers.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:56 pm
Suspended

And on Tuesday night at 01:30 I quite happily picked up a taxi from LKF to Robinson Road with a perfectly polite taxi driver by simply raising my arm, getting in, and talking to him; two other friends who were with me quite happily took cabs from LKF to Wanchai and cross-harbour to TST. For me this is far, far less hasslesome than faffing about with my phone. I was home before I would even have got the request made for an Uber.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by christep
And on Tuesday night at 01:30 I quite happily picked up a taxi from LKF to Robinson Road with a perfectly polite taxi driver by simply raising my arm, getting in, and talking to him; two other friends who were with me quite happily took cabs from LKF to Wanchai and cross-harbour to TST. For me this is far, far less hasslesome than faffing about with my phone. I was home before I would even have got the request made for an Uber.
The flip side of the coin - there are too many taxis then and cabbies are more than happy to collect meter fare. I could've ordered a "85%" taxi if my ride was long enough (I used to have a cross-harbour commute at that time. I was always impressed how clean the 85% taxis were and how well mannered the 85% cabbies were, but the array of phones on their dashboard may be a distraction)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by percysmith
I could've ordered a "85%" taxi if my ride was long enough (I used to have a cross-harbour commute at that time. I was always impressed how clean the 85% taxis were and how well mannered the 85% cabbies were, but the array of phones on their dashboard may be a distraction)
What is an "85% taxi"?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

They're taxis which you can order by phone to do long runs for 85% of the metered price.

It's illegal of course, just like Uber.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Uber has it's issues. You need to wait longer. There were times when I would schedule the uber and be waiting as I watched empty "for hire" taxis drive by. And there were a few times when the GPS location was not accurate; like setting the pickup for the wrong side of the road.
Not to go too far OT, but I have exactly the same issues with Uber in Manhattan.
But all things considered I found my stress level was far less. Setting the destination was much easier. And 100% of the drivers were polite. And not only did it conserve my cash, but I got points because it all charges to my Amex. :-)
Personally, I don't think the pros in Manhattan outweigh the cons, and thus I rarely use Uber here.

And back on-topic, I've also never had an issue with a taxi in HK (and I stay at the JW Marriott often), but possible I've never tried to get in one during changeover (where it's a problem in NYC too, but they usually have their off-duty lights on then anyway, and they *can* get into big trouble for refusing a fare). My sample size isn't huge though, most of the time I take public transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.